Fans in the trucks, dust!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I did the gravel route for about two years. I had to buy one of those N90 respirator masks and it worked great, but man, it was hot. I was stunned that I was the first driver who ever wore a mask on this route. To be honest, I never even thought to file a grievance. I just protected myself.

The route I had was about 70/30 gravel to pavement. The roads I drove on were 55MPH for the most part. I would drive down a gravel road, stop and open my bulkhead door and the entire package area literally looked cloudy with dust. Everything in that truck always had a thick coat of dust, and I do mean everything. I always put my lunch box and water jug in a DR bag to keep the dust from them. When I first got that route, I would have the car washers spray the inside of the truck with the power washer. But the next day it would be covered again.

I was always anal about the dust, so I tried about every trick I could think of to minimize the dust. I'm guessing with the FOBs that you couldn't get away with this, and they probably would fire you if they knew, but by noon on this route I had, they truck was over half empty. So one thing I did was push all of the packages to the front of the truck and drive down the gravel roads with my back door, bulkhead door and my cab doors open. What this did was create a sort of vacuum from the back doors and blew all of the air out the cab doors. So when I stopped, the dust was gone. Obviously, this only worked on roads with little to no traffic.

Also, I tried running with the cab doors both open and shut. With the doors open, you get more dust in the cab, but in is considerably cooler. And with the doors shut, you still get a lot of dust in the cab, along with the oven-like temperatures. So I just ran with the doors open and my goggles and mask on. I never even messed with a fan, because that was like spitting into the wind.

I wish you luck on filing your grievances, and support you, but these trucks just aren't sealed airtight. The way they are built, I can't imagine how they would do it. The route I had before this dust route had a industrial supply company that I was real friendly with. I told them I was getting a new country route, and before I left, they gave me a big box of those N90 masks. And they are not cheap. I think home improvement stores sell them for $4 a pair. And they are not the flimsy ones with just one strap. The N90 masks have two rubber straps that form a really tight seal around your nose and mouth. They can take a while to get used to, and they are hot to wear in the summer, but you won't breath dust with one on. Period. They work.

I can't tell you what to do, but I would try OSHA first. I just can't imagine they are going to make UPS seal the package car airtight. But I would file a grievance, in the very least, to get UPS to pay for all of the N90 masks you'll ever need. There is no reason why they shouldn't.

Good luck.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No. it really isn't. Try it some time.

I think what happens is that the vacuum is disrupted and the dust isn't drawn Agains the back door and past old rubber seals.
Either way I'd die from heat exhaustion. That vent isn't gonna do :censored2: for keeping you cool.

bbsam

Staff member

Dicscusses the physics as it relates to computers but if you watch all the way through he discusses why the positive air pressure aids so much in dust xontrol.

Dracula

No. it really isn't. Try it some time.

I think what happens is that the vacuum is disrupted and the dust isn't drawn Agains the back door and past old rubber seals.

I don't what kind of magic package car you drive, but every single package car that ran on gravel was covered in dust. On the boxline, you could easily see which ones they were because you could see the dusty footprints of the preloaders on the belts outside those cars.

wayfair

swollen member
The rural route I used to run was dusty AF.

I talked with mechanics and one of their sup's and they came up with installing something like this along the back doors. It didn't eliminate all of the dust/dirt, but it did help.

long-BRUSH-STRIP.png

Dracula

you aren't arguing with me. you're arguing with science.

Okay. I guess that wasn't dust that was covering everything. I'm not sure you are saying. You're saying if we use the little vent in the package car, dust won't happen? Do you really think drivers haven't tried that before? Really? Like I said, maybe you have a unique package car that came completely sealed.

For the rest of the drivers who run gravel, dust is a part of the job. Personally, I found a N90 mask was the only thing that helped me deal with dust. There was nothing that prevented dust from covering everything in the package car. Nothing.

bbsam

Staff member
Okay. I guess that wasn't dust that was covering everything. I'm not sure you are saying. You're saying if we use the little vent in the package car, dust won't happen? Do you really think drivers haven't tried that before? Really? Like I said, maybe you have a unique package car that came completely sealed.

For the rest of the drivers who run gravel, dust is a part of the job. Personally, I found a N90 mask was the only thing that helped me deal with dust. There was nothing that prevented dust from covering everything in the package car. Nothing.
I am confident that someone out there will try it and find that it significantly reduces the amount of dust drawn into the back of the PC.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't what kind of magic package car you drive, but every single package car that ran on gravel was covered in dust. On the boxline, you could easily see which ones they were because you could see the dusty footprints of the preloaders on the belts outside those cars.
It's possible I do have magic package cars.

It's also possible that the gravel roads UPS package cars are not subject to the laws of physics and aerodynamics.

1Simplemann

I did the gravel route for about two years. I had to buy one of those N90 respirator masks and it worked great, but man, it was hot. I was stunned that I was the first driver who ever wore a mask on this route. To be honest, I never even thought to file a grievance. I just protected myself.

The route I had was about 70/30 gravel to pavement. The roads I drove on were 55MPH for the most part. I would drive down a gravel road, stop and open my bulkhead door and the entire package area literally looked cloudy with dust. Everything in that truck always had a thick coat of dust, and I do mean everything. I always put my lunch box and water jug in a DR bag to keep the dust from them. When I first got that route, I would have the car washers spray the inside of the truck with the power washer. But the next day it would be covered again.

I was always anal about the dust, so I tried about every trick I could think of to minimize the dust. I'm guessing with the FOBs that you couldn't get away with this, and they probably would fire you if they knew, but by noon on this route I had, they truck was over half empty. So one thing I did was push all of the packages to the front of the truck and drive down the gravel roads with my back door, bulkhead door and my cab doors open. What this did was create a sort of vacuum from the back doors and blew all of the air out the cab doors. So when I stopped, the dust was gone. Obviously, this only worked on roads with little to no traffic.

Also, I tried running with the cab doors both open and shut. With the doors open, you get more dust in the cab, but in is considerably cooler. And with the doors shut, you still get a lot of dust in the cab, along with the oven-like temperatures. So I just ran with the doors open and my goggles and mask on. I never even messed with a fan, because that was like spitting into the wind.

I wish you luck on filing your grievances, and support you, but these trucks just aren't sealed airtight. The way they are built, I can't imagine how they would do it. The route I had before this dust route had a industrial supply company that I was real friendly with. I told them I was getting a new country route, and before I left, they gave me a big box of those N90 masks. And they are not cheap. I think home improvement stores sell them for $4 a pair. And they are not the flimsy ones with just one strap. The N90 masks have two rubber straps that form a really tight seal around your nose and mouth. They can take a while to get used to, and they are hot to wear in the summer, but you won't breath dust with one on. Period. They work.

I can't tell you what to do, but I would try OSHA first. I just can't imagine they are going to make UPS seal the package car airtight. But I would file a grievance, in the very least, to get UPS to pay for all of the N90 masks you'll ever need. There is no reason why they shouldn't.

Good luck.
Finally, Someone who gets it. Never tried a N90 mask. I will though. Thanks For the tip. If I could run with doors open and still breath , that would be much cooler. I have tried opening all the doors years ago but that won't fly in this day and age. Busted in a heartbeat. Apparently OSHA did test some vehicles down in Butte years ago. Don't know what came of it. When I called them it was like I was enemy. He couldn't even answer my basic questions. He seemed bothered that I even called him.

1Simplemann

Dicscusses the physics as it relates to computers but if you watch all the way through he discusses why the positive air pressure aids so much in dust xontrol.
Very interesting! My BnL is a HVAC guy. Engineer w/ a masters. Very smart dude. he says the same thing. Positive air pressure would solve most of the dust issues. IHO a air scoop on the front of the truck will accomplish this. I told him "good luck, UPS ain't spring for a custom air scoop!" Anyway, it's good to know he was right.

1Simplemann

Not belittling your issue because I deal with it also. Slow down. Go as slow as it takes to keep the dust down. Finish time shouldn't be your concern.
Finsh time is never my concern. LOL That's their concern. I am definitely driving slower these days just not 55-60 mph like I used to. Actually, it let's me "stay back and see it all" Had some close calls in the early days. BTW That's a HECK of a buck! Bowkill? 170"ish?