Fart Bombs

NY11725

It amazes me how stressed out people get over what the other hourlies are doing. You more than anyone dictate how easy or difficult your job is. Relax, take a breath, turn the belt off, and take as much time as as you need to safely break jams or work through belt-wide flow. Also, call out when there's a jam. While you're standing there fuming over how they should know its jammed, you could have just let them know. It's easier for you to call out than it is for them to climb up and look. And remember, you get paid by the hour. The more your belt is off, the more you get paid. Also, the more your belt is off, the more help you will get in the long run. Worry about what's in your control and let management stress over your fellow workers and belt stops.

this may be good logic in your building, but not mine. Stopping the belt, and breaking their jams, just causes me to get backed up once the belt starts....and no one rushes up top to give me a hand. I always call out a jam, but I also shouldn't have to all the time. If they are in the trailer, and they look towards the back, and see there is a jam stopping stuff from going into the trailer, and the rollers are all clear....why not go and break it? Why stand around talking? Why ignore it, and get everything backed up more? It's honestly a easy job....it's other people that make is stressful....now I finally realize why my hair thinned out...started when I started at UPS. This job caused me to go bald....what a pitty :)

Last edited:

NY11725

where's your sup? ours is the resident jambreaker. it works out nicely, although he can't be everywhere at once. he should also be getting help from other belts if you guys are buried and anyone has extra manpower

My supervisor is too busy loading a trailer to be supervising.

NY11725

When I was pick off and had jams, I would call out the jam for the trailer and turn off the belt if needed until someone broke the jam. Stay vigilant and let them do their job.

Yeah, it works sometimes, but keep in mind, the sort isle is still throwing stuff on my belt during the time I'm off, and once I start back up, I'm slammed up top all over again. There is no reason to have to keep cutting the belt every 4 minutes because they don't know how to jump out of the trailer and break the jam. I call it out, they ignore it so I have to do it. They know it's jammed. They just don't care. These are the people UPS likes to pay.

NY11725

Disappointing, I expected a much better thread with the title Fart bombs. A good story of how he cleared the AM meeting after a night of drinking Falstaff beer, and dining on deviled eggs, and chili. Entertain us

Trust me, it will be VERY entertaining for me, when the fart bomb pops.

BrownArmy

No it won't, i've MIA'd to NY for 2 weeks once, came back , still had my job.

If that's the case, you're sweating this waaay too much.

If it's not your job to break someone else's jam, and your co-workers aren't playing nice, next time the belt jams up or whatever the heck you're talking about, DON'T DO ANYTHING.

Don't do anything else but your own job.

The only person getting effed here is you, and you're effing yourself, and it sounds like your chums are laughing.

Are you going to take that?

NY11725

If that's the case, you're sweating this waaay too much.

If it's not your job to break someone else's jam, and your co-workers aren't playing nice, next time the belt jams up or whatever the heck you're talking about, DON'T DO ANYTHING.

Don't do anything else but your own job.

The only person getting effed here is you, and you're effing yourself, and it sounds like your chums are laughing.

Are you going to take that?

It's not that they laugh, they just don't care. They know if they ignore it, eventually, it will back up to the pick off, and my chutes will be full, and the only way for me to have more room for flow is to break it myself. That is their motto now, wait for the pick off to do is because he doesn't do anything all night. If only they knew what I do up there. Trust me, I have not done anything before, and it just remains jammed for a long time...it makes it easier for me in the long run just to go break it and clear my chutes out but it's getting old. If they would just do it whenever it jammed, it won't ever be backed up and stressful for anyone :( I do, however, appreciate you having my back somewhat :). I think some of it has to do with jealousy, they are in a trailer , and im in front of a monster fan. :)

BrownArmy

I'm telling you, DON'T DO ANYTHING.

Yes, it will totally c-fk your personal work area, but that's the premise of my point.

When the sup comes around, explain what the eff is happening.

If you keep doing other people's jobs, those other people are going to keep letting you do their job.

NY11725

I'm telling you, DON'T DO ANYTHING.

Yes, it will totally c-fk your personal work area, but that's the premise of my point.

When the sup comes around, explain what the eff is happening.

If you keep doing other people's jobs, those other people are going to keep letting you do their job.

You're right you're right.

I'm going to do that from now on, but the sup isn't even the best when it comes to enforcing things...the whole building is ran half assed

undies

File grievances for supervisors working and let the shut off belt start to overflow and affect the entire building when it gets overloaded and won't even move anymore. Someone from up above will notice and ask why.