LarryBird

These key psychological differences can determine whether you're liberal or conservative

I'm not surprised at all by the findings. It's basically what I've been observing in my life and dealings for years, but I'm glad to know that my perceptions were correct.

It does explain so much though. Fear is a huge factor in how people live their lives. I have been saying forever, and I've mentioned it on here as well, that conservatives seem to be fear based, while liberals are far less so. This research seems to support my thoughts.

It also makes me curious about a possible correlation between conservatism and sociopathic tendencies - I need to look into this more and see if there's any research to support my starting hypothesis.

Please don't comment in the discussion if you didn't read the article - it isn't long and takes like 5 mins of your time to complete. Who knows, you might gain some insight into yourself and why you lean the way you do. The article doesn't lean toward one way or the other - it simply explains the differences between liberals vs conservatives.

LarryBird

Not a lot of activity today apparently.

Would've figured people might get a bit riled up by this article.

One things I've found conservatives dislike is when you tell them they're afraid, and that that fear colors nearly all of their political decisions. I'm not sure if they dislike this because it's true, or if it's because it means admitting they're massive pusillanimous. But either way, they don't care for it.

LarryBird

The article made me think about the conservatives here like @newfie, @vantexan, and many others whose rhetoric is born of fear and devoid of empathy for others.

Let go of the fear and embrace the world. Come join us in the liberal end of the pool, where the smart and enlightened swim. The water is fine here.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
"The Pew Research Center reports that the country's political divisions now far exceed "divisions along basic demographic lines, such as age, education, gender and race." The share of Americans who sit in the middle of the political spectrum is lower, too."

Meanwhile I hate both sides more and more every day.

LarryBird

"The Pew Research Center reports that the country's political divisions now far exceed "divisions along basic demographic lines, such as age, education, gender and race." The share of Americans who sit in the middle of the political spectrum is lower, too."

That's not a very 'hakuna matata' attitude.

LarryBird

That's not a very 'hakuna matata' attitude.
It means no worries
For the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It means no worries
For the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!
The Left and the Right are two sides of the same coin and both contradict every aspect of this philosophy. Neither can just leave me the hell alone.

LarryBird

The Left and the Right are two sides of the same coin and both contradict every aspect of this philosophy. Neither can just leave me the hell alone.
So do you just refrain from participating in our democracy?

Because if you do, that's very sad, and it makes you a :censored2:ty citizen as well. Things are best changed from the inside, so if you don't like the way things are, you get involved and work to change them.

Apathy has never changed a damn thing. That, I know for certain.

newfie

These key psychological differences can determine whether you're liberal or conservative

I'm not surprised at all by the findings. It's basically what I've been observing in my life and dealings for years, but I'm glad to know that my perceptions were correct.

It does explain so much though. Fear is a huge factor in how people live their lives. I have been saying forever, and I've mentioned it on here as well, that conservatives seem to be fear based, while liberals are far less so. This research seems to support my thoughts.

It also makes me curious about a possible correlation between conservatism and sociopathic tendencies - I need to look into this more and see if there's any research to support my starting hypothesis.

Please don't comment in the discussion if you didn't read the article - it isn't long and takes like 5 mins of your time to complete. Who knows, you might gain some insight into yourself and why you lean the way you do. The article doesn't lean toward one way or the other - it simply explains the differences between liberals vs conservatives.

Hilary Brueck is a science reporter at Business Insider. where she focuses on health and human performance.

Hilary writes regularly about fitness, nutrition, infectious diseases, vaccine safety, mental health, and toilets of all kinds.

newfie

Not a lot of activity today apparently.

Would've figured people might get a bit riled up by this article.

One things I've found conservatives dislike is when you tell them they're afraid, and that that fear colors nearly all of their political decisions. I'm not sure if they dislike this because it's true, or if it's because it means admitting they're massive pusillanimous. But either way, they don't care for it.

we're not the ones accusing everyone of being a racist

newfie

The article made me think about the conservatives here like @newfie, @vantexan, Come join us in the liberal end of the pool, where the smart and enlightened swim. The water is fine here.

Sheryl Crow on Environmentalism: "I propose a limitation be put on how many sqares [sic] of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. Now, I don't want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required.'"

Barack Obama: "I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?"

Rosie O'Donnell: "Don't fear the terrorists. They're mothers and fathers."

Nancy Pelosi on the economy: "every month that we do not have an economic recovery package 500 million Americans lose their jobs."

Bill Clinton on ordinary Americans: "African Americans watch the same news at night that ordinary Americans do."

California Senator Barbara Boxer: "Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I'm still alive.' But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again."

floridays

Sheryl Crow on Environmentalism: "I propose a limitation be put on how many sqares [sic] of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. Now, I don't want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required.'"

Nancy Pelosi on the economy: "every month that we do not have an economic recovery package 500 million Americans lose their jobs."

Bill Clinton on ordinary Americans: "African Americans watch the same news at night that ordinary Americans do."

California Senator Barbara Boxer: "Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I'm still alive.' But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again."
If those are legitimate quotes, one couldn't make a better illustration of the leftist ignorance and assumed superiority.

LarryBird

Goddammit, your posts are becoming more incoherent and less relevant to the conversations at hand as the days pass.

Are you in the early stages of dementia?

I'm beginning to actually feel bad about dogging you in every thread you attempt to engage me in. I was taught at an early age to be kind to those who are less fortunate than myself, which would obviously include the mentally retarded or those whose mental capacity has greatly diminished over time.

If you're losing it, friend, please just let me know. I don't wanna kick a man when he's down. And if you're genuinely retarded, as seems to be the case, please don't be ashamed - I'll have your back. I won't pick on you anymore, and I'll make sure nobody else does either.

The more you know.

newfie

If those are legitimate quotes, one couldn't make a better illustration of the leftist ignorance and assumed superiority.

i know some are for sure. there was actually longer list i found some of which i had not heard before and could not verify.

we know Obama did the 58 state one .
we know pelosi did the 500 million people out of work every month one.
so i stuck to ones i recognized .

LarryBird

i know some are for sure. there was actually longer list i found some of which i had not heard before and could not verify.

we know Obama did the 58 state one .
we know pelosi did the 500 million people out of work every month one.
so i stuck to ones i recognized .
Un-:censored2:ing-real.