Father of the Year or child abuse?

What is your opinion on the father’s actions?

• Father of the Year

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Child abuse

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Extreme but not child abuse

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Maybe the chicken pecking order isn’t the best model for developing human youth, just saying.
Virtually every species on earth has a type of "pecking order" that they figure out naturally. That's the point.

Why do we expect humans to be any different.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Very much so.

Chickens are ruthless. Let a young chicken into the batch too early and they'll literally just peck it to death because it can't hold its own.
We had to be careful with that with the clerks in the G.O back in the 80's.
Females younger than 20 had to be clerks in the hub first to toughen them up.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Because that instinct is what separates humans from savages.

We do it anyway, regardless of any objection anyone has to it. It's hardwired in. We've simply developed new ways to establish dominance aside from physical. But children don't start out understanding how to assert dominance in any ways other than physical. Education, parenting and discipline are the means by which we civilize the savage beasts we call children.

El Correcto

god is dead
Filming what a great disciplinary you are while putting your kid through a punishment always seemed a bit narcissistic and even sadist in some cases. I would think punishing your kid was a private matter, not a thing to grandstand on for the world to see.

BrownArmy

Ummm many animals have languages. Not as complicated as humans but they most certainly verbally communicate.

Sure, but my point is that, unlike 'many animals', humans are verbal.

That's what separates us from dogs and frogs and eagles and turkeys.

There is no reason to act like a bully or need to defend yourself from a bully in this day and age.

Like my mom said: "Use your words".

:raspberry-tounge:

BrownArmy

Filming what a great disciplinary you are while putting your kid through a punishment always seemed a bit narcissistic and even sadist in some cases. I would think punishing your kid was a private matter, not a thing to grandstand on for the world to see.

That might be a different thread...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sure, but my point is that, unlike 'many animals', humans are verbal.

That's what separates us from dogs and frogs and eagles and turkeys.

There is no reason to act like a bully or need to defend yourself from a bully in this day and age.

Like my mom said: "Use your words".

:raspberry-tounge:
What I find hilarious about this statement is somehow we've raised a generation of kids that apparently think words hurt more than a punch to gut.

An overwhelming majority of "bullying" is done using words. Maybe we'd be better off if more of it was done using fists...

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What I find hilarious about this statement is somehow we've raised a generation of kids that apparently think words hurt more than a punch to gut.

An overwhelming majority of "bullying" is done using words. Maybe we'd be better off if more of it was done using fists...

How many kids have committed suicide after being verbally assaulted versus physically assaulted? I know I've read stories about the former, but don't remember seeing anything about the latter.

BrownArmy

Look man, I hear you.

My kid is six-months old.

Am I going to 'teach' him about my experiences from middle-school in 1986?

Obviously not.

Yes, we should toughen up our kids, to the extent that they don't get bullied.

To me, that's more mental than physical.

YMMV