Fed Ex Ground Benefit Questions

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm sorry if I don't agree with you. If I had my own company, damn straight I would be doing better than my, in this case, drivers.

You just lost another 15 Watts. The point is that the contractors do way, way better than the drivers. Nobody is saying they don't deserve to make a profit, but the way they do it isn't ethical. Ground is exploitation by design, and I'm sorry you're not able to figure that out.

LTFedExer

You just lost another 15 Watts. The point is that the contractors do way, way better than the drivers. Nobody is saying they don't deserve to make a profit, but the way they do it isn't ethical. Ground is exploitation by design, and I'm sorry you're not able to figure that out.
You're entitled to your opinion.

bbsam

Staff member

Do you propose to tell me what my profit margin should be?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know what that means and I'd bet you don't really either.

Actually, I do, and it depends on the cost-of-living for a given area. I can guarantee you that Ground pays below a living wage in almost every area of the country. That's why many Ground drivers qualify for some form of public assistance.

Again, you take your healthy cut, and so does Fred. What's left goes to the drivers, and that isn't much. The whole Ground scam is predicated upon a low-wage employee base. By design, as in this is the way it was planned. You (the contractor) absorb most operational costs, and if you were required to pay a living wage, FedEx woudn't be able to structure Ground that way. If the drivers were to be paid fairly, the pyramid would topple.

Scams are wrong. You are ethically wrong to knowingly be a part of one. So is Fred.

bbsam

Staff member
Actually, I do, and it depends on the cost-of-living for a given area. I can guarantee you that Ground pays below a living wage in almost every area of the country. That's why many Ground drivers qualify for some form of public assistance.

Again, you take your healthy cut, and so does Fred. What's left goes to the drivers, and that isn't much. The whole Ground scam is predicated upon a low-wage employee base. By design, as in this is the way it was planned. You (the contractor) absorb most operational costs, and if you were required to pay a living wage, FedEx woudn't be able to structure Ground that way. If the drivers were to be paid fairly, the pyramid would topple.

Scams are wrong. You are ethically wrong to knowingly be a part of one. So is Fred.

You really know nothing of running a small business, do you?

bbsam

Staff member

C'mon Cactus. MFE put forth a laughably simplistic view..."you take a healthy cut, blah blah, what's left for your drivers, blah, blah." That's not how I run my business. Oh, but wait. I don't run anything, do I? Fedex runs it all! I guess when you keep the set of premises falaciously simple, the conclusion can only be the same.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
C'mon Cactus. MFE put forth a laughably simplistic view..."you take a healthy cut, blah blah, what's left for your drivers, blah, blah." That's not how I run my business. Oh, but wait. I don't run anything, do I? Fedex runs it all! I guess when you keep the set of premises falaciously simple, the conclusion can only be the same.

That's right. The whole deal is a scam.

LTFedExer

On one hand you say being a driver isn't a career. Now, for the most part, you're saying it is. So, is the job a career or not? You don't own a business with employees to pay, so you can't sit behind a keyboard and tell bbsam and the other IC's how to run their business. If you did have employees to pay, I'll bet you would do exactly what you claim all the IC's do.
Since when is FedEx a small business?
We're not talking about FedEx, the corporation. The topic is about the IC paying, what MFE is calling a 'living wage'.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You guys seem to be missing the point. If bbsam is working within the parameters set by FedEx and is able to find qualified employees who are willing to work within his parameters, wouldn't that then make him a smart businessman?? He is not running a charity--he is in business to make money.

Do I think Ground drivers are underpaid? Absolutely. Do I think bbsam needs to take it upon himself to right this wrong? No, I do not, for the reasons I stated above.

LTFedExer

You guys seem to be missing the point. If bbsam is working within the parameters set by FedEx and is able to find qualified employees who are willing to work within his parameters, wouldn't that then make him a smart businessman?? He is not running a charity--he is in business to make money.

Do I think Ground drivers are underpaid? Absolutely. Do I think bbsam needs to take it upon himself to right this wrong? No, I do not, for the reasons I stated above.
Well said.....the same goes for ALL businesses.

HomeDelivery

i've seen bbsam-type of contractors in my 2 terminals that i've worked for;
they are good to their drivers,
know how to "flex" deliveries when one of their drivers are out sick,
have some supplemental backup drivers
as well as mechanics and backup vehicles on hand when $h!t hits the fan...
one gives out paid holidays
they're doing just as well right now & even with the increasing costs of fuel, they're still able to hang tough out there (multiple route bonuses)

more power to them & if you're an unhappy driver, move on with trying to find another job.