FedEx contractor revolt?

Star B

White Lightening
The problem I see is horrible employees with criminal records and high school dropouts. I promise you that wasn’t the case 28 years ago!
28 years ago you had to attract an employee that had the skills, ability and the integrity to do the job right. with technology to babysit and GPS to direct them every step of the way, you can hire the dropouts and the ones with the records.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
28 years ago you had to attract an employee that had the skills, ability and the integrity to do the job right. with technology to babysit and GPS to direct them every step of the way, you can hire the dropouts and the ones with the records.
And FedEx had the personnel and squandered it.

It will be fine

We also need about 30 people to every 1 that was needed 28 years ago. I don’t believe skills, ability and integrity are that much more plentiful in today’s workforce.

Star B

White Lightening
We also need about 30 people to every 1 that was needed 28 years ago. I don’t believe skills, ability and integrity are that much more plentiful in today’s workforce.
I'm going down the line of "we had to pay for quality back then, now, companies will hire & pay trash because they can".

If you take care of your employees, then, great, that isn't directed towards you because I know there are ground contractors that care.

It will be fine

I'm going down the line of "we had to pay for quality back then, now, companies will hire & pay trash because they can".

If you take care of your employees, then, great, that isn't directed towards you because I know there are ground contractors that care.
I’m saying I’m not sure it would be possible with today’s workers. Even if we offered higher pay I don’t think we could find enough quality workers to justify it. So if we’re going to get trash regardless there’s no reason to pay more for it. I do think higher pay would retain more workers that would hopefully be trained into quality, but that’s hard to say.

yadig

It’s not working to good for express/ground. The equipment is being torn up and damaged on a consistent basis. I hear it all the time from maintenance that several employees should be fired for the damage to transmission and not pre-tripping trucks and trailers. I’m telling you no one cares! I guess if you’re collecting welfare and needing too much pay it makes sense.

yadig

I’m saying I’m not sure it would be possible with today’s workers. Even if we offered higher pay I don’t think we could find enough quality workers to justify it. So if we’re going to get trash regardless there’s no reason to pay more for it. I do think higher pay would retain more workers that would hopefully be trained into quality, but that’s hard to say.
Ups does. Pleases quit with the lies that they are short handed also. Maybe in a few markets but in my market they’ve put some truck drivers back in vans. That’s how a productive company works!

It will be fine

Ups does. Pleases quit with the lies that they are short handed also. Maybe in a few markets but in my market they’ve put some truck drivers back in vans. That’s how a productive company works!
The UPS discussion page has plenty of anecdotal evidence that new hires don’t last at UPS either. The workers can’t handle the workload.

Mutineer

Everybody who has ever had cancer (or suffered any scary health event) remembers when they first noticed the odd little clue that something was awry. Or an aircraft pilot who thought he saw an odd flicker of a gauge needle, or noticed a strange little vibration minutes before the routine plane ride became a nightmare.

Since time immemorial, the relationship between employers and employees have often been a bit strained.

Once upon a time, I remember many businesses had an office door that read: "Personnel."

Beginning about thirty-plus years ago, all those signs were slowly replaced with the words that read: "Human Resources."

The employee/employer relationship has gone to :censored2: really fast since then.

Coincidence?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Beginning about thirty-plus years ago, all those signs were slowly replaced with the words that read: "Human Resources."

The employee/employer relationship has gone to :censored2: really fast since then.

Coincidence?
Coincidence? Nope, not at all. Often a wordage change in the workplace is not a positive change for staff. It’s usually done with a sneaky approach as well.

With unions losing their foothold in the 80’s after Regan pulled his little stunt and a very tight job market, employers across the country decided that they now had the workforce by the balls. They kept a hold to that philosophy until recently when now they call and beg and crawl for people to come work for them. They must be having a hard time dealing with it now. My suggestion is employers like that and Fat Freddy can suck it up like most of us have had to do the last 40 years.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Everybody who has ever had cancer (or suffered any scary health event) remembers when they first noticed the odd little clue that something was awry. Or an aircraft pilot who thought he saw an odd flicker of a gauge needle, or noticed a strange little vibration minutes before the routine plane ride became a nightmare.

Since time immemorial, the relationship between employers and employees have often been a bit strained.

Once upon a time, I remember many businesses had an office door that read: "Personnel."

Coincidence?

Coincidence? Nope, not at all. Often a wordage change in the workplace is not a positive change for staff. It’s usually done with a sneaky approach as well.

With unions losing their foothold in the 80’s after Regan pulled his little stunt and a very tight job market, employers across the country decided that they now had the workforce by the balls. They kept a hold to that philosophy until recently when now they call and beg and crawl for people to come work for them. They must be having a hard time dealing with it now. My suggestion is employers like that and Fat Freddy can suck it up like most of us have had to do the last 40 years.
And “Contractor Relations” is now “Business Development Solutions”.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

What was Reagan's little stunt?

It will be fine

Spencer thinks it's a good idea x starts contracting out their package handlers.

I wrote a proposal to do this more than 10 years ago. FedEx said the risks were too great. If my handlers didn’t show up it would mess up the entire building when my van line backed up. I still support the idea, but I doubt FedEx will go for it.

yadig

I wrote a proposal to do this more than 10 years ago. FedEx said the risks were too great. If my handlers didn’t show up it would mess up the entire building when my van line backed up. I still support the idea, but I doubt FedEx will go for it.
I agree, the contractor model is proving to be a failure and it’s not y’all’s fault. FedEx has always exerted a high level of control and now y’all are wanting to take that away a little bit and that spooked them