FedEx contractor revolt?

bacha29

I think all the words have been spoken. FedEx has a situation.

Neither contractors nor investors are happy. Wall Street has all but laughed off the “global recession” as an excuse for poor performance.
Cutting back on unnecessary capex feels mind-blowingly late. FedEx seems intent on going forward with “schedule L” which is a money grab from contractors in the guise of a safety program.
Contractors can’t seem to find drivers for the regular year let alone peak season.

So we remain where we were months ago. Contractors continuing to fail and the company attempting to telling Wall Street that everything is fine.

Oh. And there’s that bit about FedEx suing Patton. A move that I continue to believe was asinine, sophomoric, and will have serious repercussions for the company.

Overall I’d say there’s an overwhelming sense of disgust with the company coupled with a huge DGAF attitude of people just going through the motions.
This whole operation is getting crazier by the day and Schedule L is the craziest thing yet. Unilaterally slotting contractors into risk factor categories back on past incidents that occurred during the life of contracts that have expired but will be used to assess potentially significant net settlement reductions Now are they going to include incidents that occurred on routes owned at the time by a previous contractor despite the fact that ownership had passed to a new entity? Sounds like that's exactly like what they're going to do.

Sounds similar to their practice of so called "auditing" the payroll and other financial records of a private corporation that being a contractor with total disregard for the fact that the information they demanded is protected under US law. Schedule L is simply another example of going their merry old way doing whatever they damn well please and is almost certain to become even more egregious and more flagrant until a higher power stops them in their tracks. And given that the largest stakeholders aside from Fat Freddy are institutional investors who appear willing to grant Raj and Johnny Dollar sign additional time there is very little chance that they will be that higher power that will step in and end Ground's tyrannical and abusive behavior toward contractors.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Hilarious! Shippers are pulling their eggs out of the FedEx basket, and @59 Dano and his cohorts spin it as consumers buying/shipping less.
You call it spinning, I call it telling you what's actually happening. FDX and UPS are both experiencing drops in volume, drops in stock price, and forecasting a lighter peak.

But keep fellating that narrative that it's exclusive to FedEx. I mean, seriously. The link you quoted referenced that logistics was getting hammered and the economy is not in good shape. How did you miss that?

MAKAVELI

You call it spinning, I call it telling you what's actually happening. FDX and UPS are both experiencing drops in volume, drops in stock price, and forecasting a lighter peak.

But keep fellating that narrative that it's exclusive to FedEx.
Except UPS is doing better in the same economy. They have always adjusted faster than FedEx to economic conditions.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

But keep fellating that narrative that it's exclusive to FedEx. I mean, seriously. The link you quoted referenced that logistics was getting hammered and the economy is not in good shape. How did you miss that?
"Disruptions to the supply chain aren’t over yet. It is predicted that supply chain issues facing the United States will continue into 2022—citing demand as one of the top contributors. The Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, which account for 40% of shipping containers entering the U.S., have already started operating 24/7 to relieve supply chain bottlenecks. But with labor shortages in both warehousing and transportation, are consumers looking at something similar—or more disruptive than—the 2020 toilet paper shortage?" 2022 State of the Third Party Logistics Industry Report

Doesn't sound to me like logistics is getting hammered by a volume drop, but by the inability to address labor supply.

yadig

I like the spin and hope that you’re right. I got a feeling that FedEx has bigger problems than a downturn in volume.

bacha29

I like the spin and hope that you’re right. I got a feeling that FedEx has bigger problems than a downturn in volume.
Something even bigger on the horizon being quietly whispered about.....fuel rationing. Likely to happen if all hell breaks loose in Europe. 7 day a week service in rural America? More like...3.

bbsam

Staff member

Did UPS stock drop 30%?

jefffed.jpg

Jeff will soon be owner of Fedex- he'll take care of them, and fire them.

Mutineer

Doesn't sound to me like logistics is getting hammered by a volume drop, but by the inability to address labor supply.
Inability? ...more like the unwillingness of the vast majority of businesses involved in logistics to attract and retain sufficient labor.

There's two ways to solve that problem: increase wages, or increase the supply of labor.

Mutineer

Something even bigger on the horizon being quietly whispered about.....fuel rationing.
Fuel rationing in the 70's caused quite a few memorable scenes and events.

I believe that if fuel rationing were to happen today, it would set in motion a chain of events that nearly everybody in this nation would suffer losses that they would never recover for the rest of their lives.

bacha29

Fuel rationing in the 70's caused quite a few memorable scenes and events.

I believe that if fuel rationing were to happen today, it would set in motion a chain of events that nearly everybody in this nation would suffer losses that they would never recover for the rest of their lives
it's impossible to guess what despots like Putin and MBS will do next and Americans today have never experienced what the nation in a true war time environment looks like. The Korean War while bloody and concentrated in one Asian nation but nevertheless it started less than 5 years after WWII ended and America was still trying to recover from it when Korea started and was willing to accept a tie in order to end it. Viet Nam was a proxy war and Desert Storm the Saudis saw to it that we had all the oil we needed.

That was then....this is now and today there's a bunch of new faces sitting at the geopolitical table. Each with his own new and uniquely different hand to play. Man, I don't even want to have to think about what events could unfold this coming winter but I have to prepare in the evet that there is a winter surprise.....especially after the ground freezes in Ukraine and Northern Europe.