FedEx contractor revolt?

bacha29

Sounds about right. It all comes down to discretionary consumer spending and how much there is of it. Looking around my neighborhood I see people out and about spending their Christmas money get ready for winter. 5-15% lower volume than last year? They'll be damn lucky if they can get away with only 15% lower.

NC man

Contractors have long complained FedEx Ground's daily volume forecasts are inaccurate and management disregards their feedback.

Mgmt disregards feedback,shocking ,lol. Welcome to the club,drove for 33 years and they didn’t listen to us either and here we are.

bbsam

Staff member
Sounds about right. It all comes down to discretionary consumer spending and how much there is of it. Looking around my neighborhood I see people out and about spending their Christmas money get ready for winter. 5-15% lower volume than last year? They'll be damn lucky if they can get away with only 15% lower.
Of particular interest is the company believing they are well prepared for peak because “96% of contractors have signed Schedule K”.

Of course contractors are openly admitting they’re just taking the money and not bothering to staff up.

It will be fine

In case anyone thinks things are going well over at Ground. This is a thread from today. Peak should go great!

6DC5885B-9969-41B8-884C-6D9F96547B32.jpeg

EB4BC629-AD09-40C7-99E8-78EDA9059BE6.jpeg
38C99E82-3398-471E-A53C-5FC1E3688924.jpeg
541E74AD-6FB8-41B0-8E5A-6DDDFF3C1EAF.jpeg

zeev

FedEx is short term cost cutting. Amazon and Walmart are raising wages to secure labor for long term. FedEx draining the company for top executives hard to compete with the Amazon and soon Walmart model.

bbsam

Staff member
We had a peak planning meeting this morning. Their updated numbers have us doing 27% more than their projections two months ago but they won’t say why. Hard to believe anything they say anymore.

bacha29

Of particular interest is the company believing they are well prepared for peak because “96% of contractors have signed Schedule K”.

Of course contractors are openly admitting they’re just taking the money and not bothering to staff up.
"Go on take the money and run".....Steve Miller Band

It will be fine

We had a peak planning meeting this morning. Their updated numbers have us doing 27% more than their projections two months ago but they won’t say why. Hard to believe anything they say anymore.
Sounds like a scare tactic to get contractors to overstaff. No way numbers are going up.

bacha29

In case anyone thinks things are going well over at Ground. This is a thread from today. Peak should go great!

View attachment 404649
View attachment 404646View attachment 404648View attachment 404647
What I would be interested in knowing is how many of these people had prior experience in the trucking industry when they signed on? Nobody failed anyone here. It's simply a matter of returning to the long standing history of thin trucking margins over capacity and strained relationships between trucking companies and their contractors/owner operators.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What I would be interested in knowing is how many of these people had prior experience in the trucking industry when they signed on? Nobody failed anyone here. It's simply a matter of returning to the long standing history of thin trucking margins over capacity and strained relationships between trucking companies and their contractors/owner operators.
And that’s exactly why Amazon emulated a failing system, right?

Wait. Isn’t Amazon making it work, somehow???

bacha29

And that’s exactly why Amazon emulated a failing system, right?

Wait. Isn’t Amazon making it work, somehow???
Show me where I said it was a failing system? It is an industry that is reverting back to the " survival of the fittest" days of the past. I admit it. It would indeed appear that Raj and Johnny Dollar Sign are rolling the dice on the hope that they can get enough people to haul their junk for literally nothing. This is nothing new. They always wanted every damn dime the box generated. Now they're getting much more forceful and belligerent toward contractors. it would appear that they are certain that his approach will work and will succeed without breaking down the entire network.

I don't know if it's courage, confidence, arrogance or just plain stupidity .

floridays

You have always boasted about being of one being first to the scene as a contractor.
Yet I have read post after post from you in the past complaining about ground.

I would be interested in knowing your prior experience in trucking when you signed on.

Fact is, you want the current contractors to have their ass handed to them like yours was handed to you.

That is just the opinion I have gleaned from watching you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

I think you're pissed because these guys may be organizing in a loose way, at the least they are communicating in an attempt to better their position.

I would think you would be pleased.
Naw, you can't do that, it's misery and destruction for everyone if that's got to be your plight.

That was just another opinion.

bacha29

You have always boasted about being of one being first to the scene as a contractor.
Yet I have read post after post from you in the past complaining about ground.

I would be interested in knowing your prior experience in trucking when you signed on.

Fact is, you want the current contractors to have their ass handed to them like yours was handed to you.

That is just the opinion I have gleaned from watching you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

I think you're pissed because these guys may be organizing in a loose way, at the least they are communicating in an attempt to better their position.

I would think you would be pleased.
Naw, you can't do that, it's misery and destruction for everyone if that's got to be your plight.

That was just another opinion.
You still don't get it. After experiencing several decades of massive and accelerated growth Ground has reached it's maturation point. It can no longer rely on growth and pricing power as a way to offset a very poor setup to begin with or spend money on growth without hesitation.

Trucking has always been a recession sensitive consumer spending dependent business. During the Great Recession and COVID Ground still had growth, pricing power, earnings and government money to power it's way through. It doesn't have that now. Therefore, it has set out to cut somebody else's throat in what has historically been a cut throat business. In this case the throats of contractors are the most readily available.

It would appear here that there were some people who blinded themselves to the illusion of quick and easy riches and failed to understand the highly cyclical nature of the industry and plan accordingly. And as far as organizing contractors into a collective bargaining group, you first have to have access to due process of law and that's something that the company took away from contractors decades ago and getting it back will take decade and millions in litigation expense to reacquire.

Mutineer

I don't know if it's courage, confidence, arrogance or just plain stupidity .
For better or for worse, It's exactly all of that. Although I would add curiosity and motivation.

Modern man is descended from all of those traits. Without those things, we would still be fearfully huddled in mud huts, submissively scavenging the leftovers of other predators, never rebounding from our failures, and reflexively soiling ourselves every time the sun went down.

bacha29

This is a prime example about the lack of due process. If the police report absolved the contractor employed driver of fault and or liability and the other driver was at fault for running into the back of the contractor's van it should be a closed matter. Then again because the contractor has no access to due process X is now free to withhold settlement dollars that it would not otherwise be legally entitled to do. And as contractors have over time put more and more dollars at risk their contractual barrier to due process becomes an even larger source of contractor grievance.

Once again....nothing's binding!. That should have been the foremost guidepost contractors used to decide their course of action.