Fedex courier Interview Help

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times before but I can't find much info on it in the search. I applied about a month ago for a part time DOT courier position with Fedex Express and today I had a recruiter call me and just go over a few simple questions and told me about the pay, hours, etc..and that they are doing short notice interviews tomorrow and asked if I could go in for an interview at noon with the hiring manager at the location I would be working at. I'm pretty nervous as I really want this job and just wondered if anyone had any clue what to expect tomorrow or could give me any help with the questions they may ask me. I'm not to great with interviews but I'm currently unemployed so this job would be huge for me.

I also started learning taxidermy and plan on starting a part time business with it at the end of this year so this would be a perfect part time position to work around it and help with more income and add insurance that I'm currently lacking. Thanks alot to anyone who can help me out here.

Last edited:

CJinx

I'm sure you'll do fine on your interview. So long as you have a driver's license and a pulse somewhere in the 90's, you can deliver packages.

!Retired!

and told me about the pay, hours, etc..
I'm curious what he told you about pay, hours etc.

You have no worries about getting the job. As long as your license is clean and you can pass a drug test, you'll be fine. Just don't mention your taxidermy business. As long as your intention is to just use FedEx for health benefits instead of paying for it yourself, you're fine.

vantexan

Just relax and be sincere. If they send you for a physical then you pretty much have the job as long as you pass physical(no drugs in system). Just keep in mind that they'll do a background check that takes awhile. It could be close to 3 months from interview before you actually start working. That's normal, don't sweat it.

hypo hanna

The short notice thing is a test to see how much they can jerk you around. Like the others said you should be fine. Don't mention to side business. Even for part timers they want you available to them 100%.

Goldilocks

Good Luck to you, hope you get the job. Like others have said, do not mention your business and as a PT you can say NO to work offered. Our insurance has gone down hill since I have started but its better than nothing. I recently had my eyes checked because I have a DOT physical due. My exam was free, my lenses free, and I'm wearing progressive lenses, and frames they will pay $115, anything above that you will have to pay. I picked $199 dollar frames so I had to pay the difference. Good Luck and dont be nervous....

Thanks for the help everyone...The nerves are rattling now but I'm gonna try and relax. Also whoever asked about the pay and hours it was $14.47per hour to start and Monday 3:30am-9:30am...then Tuesday threw Friday 4pm to 10pm...only gurantee 17 1/2 hours a week but can get up to 30....This is all down in Southern Illinois by Mt. Vernon so I don't now if I will only get the minimum amount of hours or the max but I don't really care since I'm coming from unemployment which doesn't cover much of anything.

As for the Taxidermy business I havn't even started it yet. Just currently taking classes for it and practicing on deer, squirrel, and ducks so I won't mention it. Around here it can be pretty profitable if you get good enough so I'm hoping it really takes off a few years down the road and I can do it full time. Untill then I can't really ask for more then a nearly $15 an hour parttime position with benefits haha..around here you don't see to many of those everyday.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks for the help everyone...The nerves are rattling now but I'm gonna try and relax. Also whoever asked about the pay and hours it was $14.47per hour to start and Monday 3:30am-9:30am...then Tuesday threw Friday 4pm to 10pm...only gurantee 17 1/2 hours a week but can get up to 30....This is all down in Southern Illinois by Mt. Vernon so I don't now if I will only get the minimum amount of hours or the max but I don't really care since I'm coming from unemployment which doesn't cover much of anything.

As for the Taxidermy business I havn't even started it yet. Just currently taking classes for it and practicing on deer, squirrel, and ducks so I won't mention it. Around here it can be pretty profitable if you get good enough so I'm hoping it really takes off a few years down the road and I can do it full time. Untill then I can't really ask for more then a nearly $15 an hour parttime position with benefits haha..around here you don't see to many of those everyday.

Actually, stuffing dead things is closely related to your job at FedEx. Most managers are brain-dead, so you might be able to make a few extra bucks trying to insert some gray matter.

Well I had a terrible experience..I went to the place I was supposed to go to and beat on the door as it was locked..nobody ever came to it..so I called the number the recruiter gave me an they told me I was at the warehouse or something an not the right spot she gave me the right address but said she couldnt give me anymore information over the phone...well I couldnt find the place on my GPS so I called the recruiter an she called the manager an said that the person I was supposed to interview with was actually at the place I originally went to and that they had givin me the wrong information...so I missed my interview...the recruiter is going to call the manger an try an get me another time scheduled but Idk what's going to happen now..couldn't have went worse

hypo hanna

If you get the job you should get used to this sort of thing... Disorganized mgmt that doesn't communicate clearly with their employees.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Well I had a terrible experience..I went to the place I was supposed to go to and beat on the door as it was locked..nobody ever came to it..so I called the number the recruiter gave me an they told me I was at the warehouse or something an not the right spot she gave me the right address but said she couldnt give me anymore information over the phone...well I couldnt find the place on my GPS so I called the recruiter an she called the manager an said that the person I was supposed to interview with was actually at the place I originally went to and that they had givin me the wrong information...so I missed my interview...the recruiter is going to call the manger an try an get me another time scheduled but Idk what's going to happen now..couldn't have went worse

You're being groomed already. Looks like the job is yours because that sounds exactly what working a route via DRA is going to be like...until software people learn to actually read a map.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Welcome to the Wonderful World of FedEx, we do hope you enjoy the ride....cuz believe me you're going to be taken for one.

As mentioned, you've already been given a great sneak preview of what your life could potentially be like soon.

(I'd run like the wind and never look back)

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
All of the snide aside HurtTaxidermy, if you get offered the job...take it. Absolutely, positively. As long as it is part-time, you have thick skin and can ignore the very real fact that Express leadership (not all) has every bit the intellect of a Curious George book...you'll be fine.

As of right now (believe it or not), FedEx still looks fantastic on a resume. Now polish that baby!

Unfortunately with everything that went on I didn't get to have the interview so I'm pretty sure I'm just out of luck and wont even be considered for the position...The hiring manager called me and I explained how everything went down and she apologized but said that her interview team had already left and that she would call my recruiter and make sure I was still considered whenever they do more interviews....As of right now though I pretty much got screwed over because they didn't know what they was doing...it was not a pleasant day at all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

FedEx. Where one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, but pretends it does. Maybe this is an omen to move along somewhere else. It only gets worse once you're aboard The Train to Nowhere.

I'm serious. This is a company run by morons at the top and permeated with morons throughout at every level. A monkey flinging crap at the zoo has more sense than most of them.

Maybe it was an omen like you said I mean just seeing how they treated this interview was pitiful it really made me question if I even wanted to work their part time...It was pretty much oh we screwed up but you don't get another chance sorry. I've not had a whole lot of work or interview experience but I've never went threw anything so messed up before.

On a positive note..well maybe...I had a Walgreens Distribution Center interview scheduled right after my Fedex interview and it went great and supposdly starts out right at $15/hr also...I don't really know much about the company or job though so can't really comment on anything for it.

Thanks for the help though everyone...glad its all over with

vantexan

Maybe it was an omen like you said I mean just seeing how they treated this interview was pitiful it really made me question if I even wanted to work their part time...It was pretty much oh we screwed up but you don't get another chance sorry. I've not had a whole lot of work or interview experience but I've never went threw anything so messed up before.

On a positive note..well maybe...I had a Walgreens Distribution Center interview scheduled right after my Fedex interview and it went great and supposdly starts out right at $15/hr also...I don't really know much about the company or job though so can't really comment on anything for it.

Thanks for the help though everyone...glad its all over with

Take the Walgreens job. When weather really sucks outside you'll be glad you are inside. Besides, meds are a growth business. You probably won't be handling that, but if the company is doing well you'll probably enjoy decent raises and benefits. FedEx will do everything possible to hold your pay down. You might even get a decent retirement plan at Walgreens.