FedEx discrimination lawsuit... from Wall Street Journal

D

deliver_man

So tell me, in your opinion what makes for a good American.
Being a good American is no different than being a good person of any nationality. Caring about your fellow human beings and caring about making the world a better place for all of us are good starting points, I suppose. And for someone who doesn't like labels, you sure spent a lot of ink calling Susie a racist.

(Message edited by deliver_man on October 01, 2005)

D

ddomino

Does anyone remember de-segregation in the 70's and 80's. That was a Gov't attempt to wright any wrong of seperate but equal. Did it work? Well it is still in place here in south east PA. Kids are bussed or have to walk many miles to school. Many times passing other schools with their grade level.

S

susiedriver

So since you know everything, what are the questions that minorities cant answer correctly, but yet the white majority can?

That's what I asked you in the first place. I don't know the test questions, or what the test is testing for. Given that, I can visualize a test having racial bias, since it has been proven that some tests do, indeed, have racial bias. Therefore, I suggested that judgment be withheld until <u>facts</u> are given.

You just figure that because I said it, there has to be something wrong.

If you would like to discuss race in America, start another thread and I will respond.

S

susiedriver

ddomino,

Is that because the schools are not equal, or is there 'schools of choice' there?

D

ddomino

Suzie, I think because someone thought the schools wer not equal. We do not have school choice here in PA. It is something that is discussed. The teachers union fights anything like that. Its always said they fight it to protect their jobs, because the schools with bad teachers would have no students and then no need for teachers. I think it comes down to money. The districts with a richer tax base have better schools, and can therefor require better teachers. Those who have a poor tax base and searce for money everyday to keep going get the so so teachers. It could be fixed, but only at a state or federal level, never at the local level.

T

tieguy

"you sure spent a lot of ink calling Susie a racist."

And in fact she may be or her mindset may fall into the arena of what I consider the purest form of racism in todays America. Liberal opportunist politician tells black america that whitey is holding them down. Whitey will hold them back in every way. Kills their self pride, sells the message of doom and gloom. Kills their incentive to pull theirselves up by their own bootstraps. This opportunist propagates a need, a dependency that keeps the liberal opportunist in power. The liberal opportunist creates a class of dependency by destroying that groups will to improve.

D

dannyboy

"Caring about your fellow human beings and caring about making the world a better place for all of us are good starting points, I suppose"

I know a lot of people that say they care, but when it comes time for the rubber to hit the road, you dont see the caring anymore.

And then again, I know a lot of people that care and act, and yet you seem to like to bash the political views they have as un-American.

Interesting. IS that where free thinking leads?

d

D

deliver_man

I know a lot of people that say they care, but when it comes time for the rubber to hit the road, you dont see the caring anymore.

And then again, I know a lot of people that care and act, and yet you seem to like to bash the political views they have as un-American.

Interesting. IS that where free thinking leads?

You asked me what I thought a good american was and I told you. If someone really DOESN'T care about their fellow human beings, then I guess they are not a good person, and consequently not a good american. I'm not disagreeing with you on that point, if that's the point you are trying to make.
I'm not seeing where I bashed anyone for caring and acting, and I don't consider prejudice to be a political view, although it CAN have political consequences.
Free thought shouldn't "lead" you anywhere except to an unbiased appraisal of the facts. Some prominent Freethinkers have been folks like Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Robert Ingersoll, and Charles Darwin, and I'm fairly comfortable with the contributions they made to our country.