FedEx discrimination lawsuit... from Wall Street Journal

I

iloadthetruck

Sounds like a good opportunity for the Teamsters to come in and suggest unionization.

D

dannyboy

Twice the number of minorities fail the test than whites, and Fedex has not changed the test?

Do what? They need to change the test so the people that failed it can now pass the test?

Hell they have been doing that for years at public schools and we know it doesnt work. Lower the standards until every one can make an A. Dont dare let any one fail, it might hurt their feelings, and we all know what happens then.

What is so different about the minorities that they can not take the same test as a white person and pass it like a white person.

I think we need to go back to the colorblind job application, dont ask the color or ethnic background of the applicant. That way the employer will not even know the color of the skin until they show up for work the first day. Discrimination starts when they ask for the information.

That way the best person qualified for the job gets it. Period.

d

R

racerx

Ya know. I usually LOVE to see FEDEX and LAWSUIT in the same news story, but not this one.

What the hell is wrong with this country?!?! Why is it when a test shows that a group of people cannot pass a test, the right thing to do is water down the test so that they can pass? Are you kidding me? America is the land of OPPORTUNITY, not equal ability. Were these people not offered to take the test? If they were, then they were given the opportunity to move forward in their careers. If they werent, then they have a right to damages. If they were allowed to take the test, then there is no merit. Is there a rule that they can only take this test once? I doubt it So if they can take it more than once, instead of failing it the 1st time and then finding a lawyer, why dont they find out what they got wrong, understand why they got it wrong, take the test again and pass? Is because it would take extra work? Is it because it is easier to get a lawyer? Stuff like this just sickens me

O

ok2bclever

You guys are going off on the wrong tangent.

FedEx is obviously guilty!

They even admit it themselves.

"FedEx's statistical analysis shows that minorities receive higher evaluations on average than whites in many job categories, and showed that minorities received higher wages than whites in many jobs."

What the hell! They are admitting they pay minorities a higher wage than whites and give them higher evaluations.

Clear case of needing a union to protect the workforce and even the playing field. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

S

susiedriver

Does anyone know what the test questions consisted of? Does anyone know how often you can take the test? These are just a couple of the questions I would like answered before I shoot my mouth off.

If I recall correctly, a change was made to SAT/ACT tests awhile back because of race bias. The way a question is worded has been proven, in the past, to have an effect on the answer.

People should be given a position based on merit and ability. It has been my experience that this rarely happens in the business world. I can name quite a few managers and supervisors that were promoted at UPS just so they could be someone else's problem, not because they were qualified for the job.

I don't see where anyone was asking for a 'watered down' test, just a fair test. In any case, a US District Court judge believes the case has merit, and we should withhold judgement until the facts are presented.

Additionally, FedEx and lawsuit together in a headline is a good thing

M

moreluck

Here's the first 3 questions from the test:

1. Duane has an AK47 with a 30 round clip. If he misses 6 out of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive by shooting, how many drive by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?

2. If Jose has two ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8 ball to Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn't cut it?

3. Rufus is pimping for three girls. If the price is $65 for each trick, how many tricks will each girl have to turn so Rufus can pay for his $800 per day crack habit?

D

dannyboy

"The way a question is worded has been proven, in the past, to have an effect on the answer"

True, but how does race factor into the answer? A true or false question is true or false, being black, white, oriental, mexican should not affect the answer. Mulitple choice questions have a definate answer. IF we are taught at the same schools, by the same educational system, then how can answers be different because of race.

So how pray tell can the answer be tell tale on the race of the person taking the test?

"a US District Court judge believes the case has merit, and we should withhold judgement until the facts are presented."

The case might have merit, but the test not being fair is a crock. That is always the first thing they go for when they really lack much substance is that the tests are not fair

W

wily_old_vet

we should withhold judgement until the facts are presented.

Didnt see you do that with Bush and Katrina.

S

susiedriver

wiley,

Do you really want to go to the 'Bush & Katrina' argument? Filling important positions with unqualified cronies, no bid contracts, cut environmental standards so oil companies can make even more profit, use private security at $1000/day, pay for unused cruise ships at inflated ratesdo you really want to go there? There is plenty more that can be backed up with hard figures and facts, not anecdotal evidence.

Follow the money. Hell, these bustards have stolen billions from the Iraq war budget; the hurricanes are just another financial opportunity for them. This is a feeding frenzy, my friend, and were the chum.

Wheres the help for East Texas? Wheres the help for rural Mississippi? Withhold judgment? How many billions for increased security? Follow the money.

dBoy,

Youve seen the test that is in question? You know for a fact that it is a true/false, multiple choice test? What is a sample question? You really believe that a school in Newark has the same resources and environment as one in rural E. Tennessee?

Have you done a simple Google search for racial bias in testing and actually read any research? Do you know what the purpose of the testing is? Can you express it in one sentence?

Always judge and jury.

T

tieguy

I don't see how you can say Brown was unqualified. The guy has worked for Fema first in a lesser capacity and then in charge of it since 2001. During that time he was handled hundreds of natural disasters including the many hurricanes last year.

T

tieguy

"Clear case of needing a union to protect the workforce and even the playing field"

Or a clear case of minority leadership and legal opportunist again playing the race card for their own benifit. In my opinion there is no greater threat to race relations than the liberal leadership who continously play the race card in order to maintain their leadership position. What I always find interesting is the union projecting itself as an advocate of equality while union leadership is generally all white. I'm sure there is still a percentage of the general population that is bigoted. However if bigotry is as rampant as some would have us believe why is it primarily the black race that suffers. Why for instance do the asians do so well. Why is it the jews who have a long lineage of persecution stringing to biblical times do so well as a group. No the answer with this test is to bring a lagging group up to standards not drop the standards down to that group.

D

deliver_man

<font color="ff0000">Here's the first 3 questions from the test:

1. Duane has an AK47 with a 30 round clip. If he misses 6 out of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive by shooting, how many drive by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?

2. If Jose has two ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8 ball to Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn't cut it?

3. Rufus is pimping for three girls. If the price is $65 for each trick, how many tricks will each girl have to turn so Rufus can pay for his $800 per day crack habit? </font>

Duane, Jose, and Rufus, eh? Is that supposed to be a joke, or are you really that much of a racist?

W

wily_old_vet

Susie-It just reaffirms your double standard. Rather than waiting and seeing if there were circumstances that created some of the problems you just rushed in blasting the administration. I agree there were mistakes made but a lot of the problems were caused by the local and state governments. Yes the feds made some whoppers and will do so in the future. Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast. In this case you say we must wait and see what the facts are before jumping to conclusions. Also it certainly seems as though many of the horror stories we heard at the beginning of the crisis in New Orleans were media overexagerations and came from the same veiwpoint as you-Bush is bad and at fault for everything.

S

susiedriver

wiley,

Wrong again. I clearly stated in the New Orleans thread that there was blame to be had at the State and local level. The simple truth is, in an emergency of this magnitude, the Federal government must take the lead; it is beyond the capabilities of any state government to deal with a disaster like Katrina, especially when much needed National Guard equipment is half a world away fighting a futile war that our leaders lied to us to start. I refuse to just sit back and say 'that's the nature of the beast'. The beast is devouring our legacy, and complacency allows that to happen.

Follow the money.

M

moreluck

It made me laugh....they were discussing exit plans for California highways should there be a disaster.....this was after witnessing TX traffic fleeing Rita. One guy made the comment, "Shoot, we can't even move traffic on a Friday afternoon when folks are heading for Vegas."

I can't even imagine EVERONE hitting the CA. freeways.....absolutely impossible! So, we don't have exit plans here. The best we do is earthquake kits so we can take care of ourselves for about a week.

T

tieguy

"I refuse to just sit back and say 'that's the nature of the beast'. The beast is devouring our legacy, and complacency allows that to happen."

Why Suzie if so then your mission is clear. You must run for president and change this country. All those brillant minds with all their distinguished degrees are just not smart enough to figure out how to fix the end result of a catogory 4 hurricane quickly. You must run girlfriend and show us all how it is done. Keep in mind however that when you get elected you can no longer hide behind links to web sites. You will be required to define policy and then implement. You will be required to implement despite the opposition parties best efforts to derail your effort. And when its all said and done you will be much more so ineffective. You cannot predict where a hurricane goes. You can not predict what it will damage. You cannot predict a levy break. You will be blamed for all of the local mayors and governors failures. You will be hounded and derailed by a biased press that will do everything possible to overly dramatize what is already a horrific catostrophy in order to sell papers and keep viewers glued to the set. You will even be derailed by some web poster who will post everything negative about you that some unproven source posts on the internet. Its easy being a critic suzie Q. See if you can step up to bat and hit that 145 mph catogory 4 fastball. I dare ya.

D

dannyboy

Now let me see. Susie wants to go through the bidding process to get services to the disaster sites.

First you have to print up the specs as what you will need and expect. This process, due to bipartisan help should take at least 2-3 months, maybe longer.Then we have to let the proposals so we can get the bids. That should take maybe 60-90 days, we sure dont want someone not to be able to bid!

Then the decision as to who gets the bid. How to make it? Lowest price? Best track record? How?

Then the company has to gear up for the project. That should take anywhere from 30 days to 6 months. After all, they dont have all these extra employees just sitting around.

So lemme see, it could be that it would take 6 months or longer to get help to the area if we let out bids.

OR we could get the independent contractors involved. Those that were coming down I81 even during the storm. Groups of trucks, 10-35 in a group. Followed within a couple of days by endless convoys of national guard. Day after day, hundreds of vehicles. Thousands of men and women. and tons of equipment.

So here susie wants to go out for bids to take care of things and thinks that will go faster than what has happened.

MAybe in your government. But not in a real world. So dream on, play your little blame games of which you are so fond. Then vote Clinton as many times as you can and see how things get more to your liking.

Im out of here.

d

S

susiedriver

dBoy,

What, you can't answer a question so you put words in my mouth? You sir, are a fool, and I will continue to call you out.