FedEx employee dies at Memphis airport hub overnight

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Did you read the article?

RIP to the worker.

MHFE, in your opinion, was it an avoidable tragedy?
Having worked at a Ramp, but not knowing the specifics of how she died, I would say yes, it was avoidable. They pound into your brain safety, safety, safety and what NOT to do around the equipment. A lot of them have safety stops on them also. Sad day for her family and coworkers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Having worked at a Ramp, but not knowing the specifics of how she died, I would say yes, it was avoidable. They pound into your brain safety, safety, safety and what NOT to do around the equipment. Sad day for her family and coworkers.

That’s nice.

MHFE, since you were actually there, in your opinion, do you feel that this tragedy may have been avoidable?

MemphisHubFedExer

Did you read the article?

RIP to the worker.

MHFE, in your opinion, was it an avoidable tragedy?

The whole things been kept hush-hush while it's still being investigated, so I can only tell you what I know based on word of mouth from my other coworkers. I usually hate the unofficial Fedex policy that all accidents are avoidable, but from what I've been hearing, it sounds like it was.

MemphisHubFedExer

Having worked at a Ramp, but not knowing the specifics of how she died, I would say yes, it was avoidable. They pound into your brain safety, safety, safety and what NOT to do around the equipment. A lot of them have safety stops on them also. Sad day for her family and coworkers.

Your line off thought is pretty much on point. The MEM ramp can be dangerous, but it's not because people haven't been warned of the dangers or haven't been taught safe methods.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Your line off thought is pretty much on point. The MEM ramp can be dangerous, but it's not because people haven't been warned of the dangers or haven't been taught safe methods.
Working as a courier most of my career, safety was never pounded into us as much as it was at the Ramp where I worked. Some things almost seemed like overkill, but I guess as long as someone follows the methods, their chances of not being hurt or killed are much lower.

Last edited:

MemphisHubFedExer

Working as a courier most of my career, safety was never pounded into us as much as it was at the Ramp where I worked. Some things almost seemed like overkill, but I guess as long as someone follows the methods, their chances of not being hurt or killed are much higher.

Some of it is overkill but the company has to stay tight on safety to cover there own asses when stuff like this happens.

BootsOnTarmac

Teaching safe methods during training has been the focus of all trainers I have encountered at FedEx.

Continued safe practices after the trainers are gone is crucial.

I urge everyone involved in ramp operations urge everyone to follow safety rules at all times.

My heart sank when I heard the news. I pray for Her family.

Preventable or not, WE need to look out for others!

Please, Everyone work safe, don't hurry, and keep a look out for those who stray from working safe.