FedEx mounts big-money push to head off unionization by US workers

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No matter if you are wearing brown or purple, if you do this job long enough it beats you up.

The issue was reducing inefficiency. There's no business reason to keep someone in a position that they can't do well. If a route can be done safely by most people at a rate of 16 stops/hour, there's no reason to keep a guy on it who can only do 12/hour. You shouldn't have the job if you can't do the job.

You guys have a clause in your contract addressing that. We don't and we shouldn't. There are easy routes that are easier on the body and can be done by anyone in a timely manner. Old slow guy with tons of seniority needs to bid on one.

The issue was reducing inefficiency. There's no business reason to keep someone in a position that they can't do well. If a route can be done safely by most people at a rate of 16 stops/hour, there's no reason to keep a guy on it who can only do 12/hour. You shouldn't have the job if you can't do the job.

You guys have a clause in your contract addressing that. We don't and we shouldn't. There are easy routes that are easier on the body and can be done by anyone in a timely manner. Old slow guy with tons of seniority needs to bid on one.
We don't have any easy routes anymore.

Bingo

Here's the real deal. Your Republican/Libertarian mindset is that unions are BAD. Even when FedEx was extremely profitable, you were whining and commiserating with poor Fred that unionization would "kill" FedEx.

What got killed during the good days were your Traditional Pension, Shift Differential etc., none of which would have happened with a union contract. Remember when the passenger airlines were having issues and killing their pensions? Well, "poor" Fred took all of that publicity and applied the PAX woes to Express in order to justify eliminating the Traditional Plan. FedEx was doing just fine at the time. Fred saw an opportunity to screw us again...and did. How many times does he have to do it before you learn your lesson? Apparently,an unlimited number.

Purple People/Conservatives like you are the kind of spineless, complicit employees that have always allowed Fred to do exactly as he pleased with no consequences. No walkouts, no slowdowns, no "risky" behaviors that might threaten job security. Too afraid to call them out on their BS, failed policies, and inane strategies.

People like you listen to the winter recorder and come in 3 hours late, waive minimum hours and faithfully attend BBQs and other company events designed to prevent unions. That makes you, Sniper, and all of the others who drink the Kool-Aid ENABLERS, who have helped Fredward keep you firmly under his thumb since Day 1.

Fred or his successor will only bend when employees force the issue. Right now, FedEx is probably a takeover target anyway, so the issue is in flux. We should have unionized in the 90's, when people like me were holding meetings, being tailed and harassed, while simultaneously attempting to motivate sheep like you to come to a meeting, act out, or somehow cause FedEx consequences that would force the issue.

You stayed at home.
My thought has always been that if you not happy at your job.That one should find another occupation. Fedex is far from perfect but does meet my needs and many other employess. I started Fedex 15 years ago as a 2nd career and to get affordable health insurance. I am not interested in working 55 hours. I have a nice and easy sprinter route working 35-36 hours a week. No stress-No pressure. I pay 47.31 a week for health insurance for my wife and I. We are both 62 and it would cost us over 1500 a month on the open market. This would be a plan much less desirable then Fedex offers. We have sizable investments ( Thank You President Trump) that prevents us from getting health insurance subsidies. With that said, I come in , never complain,do my job and then head home 3-3:30 to my lovely wife

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You can fire anyone, regardless of age, because he can't meet the performance expectations of the job. If you get so slow that you can no longer meet those expectations, you don't belong on that job. There is no requirement to adjust a job's expectations to match the abilities (or lack thereof) of the employee. Perhaps in situations where there is a qualifying disability and the reasonable standard accommodation, but not because someone gets slow.
You seem to think that you’re eternally young or something? Got news for you, you’ll be old one day (if you’re lucky) and singing a different tune and some young hot shot will replace you before you can retire because you’re too slow and crusty.

That’s your bright future at FedEx.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
feeder. not that bad. I retired at age 58 in excellent health. I saw drivers in their 60's and close to 70 still working at jobs they really don't like , complaining all the time and the stress is slowly killing them and I'm shaking my head. they dug themselves a hole by buying up in a house or buying toys , or spending everything they make , or not preparing for retirement.

saw that since i was in my 20's and was determined not to be that person. now i have a hobby business part time that i love and can do whatever i want every day. it was all worth it.

Great post, and sage advice. I also know many people working to pay for "toys" or a lifestyle they really can't support. As you get older, most people realize that time is the most precious commodity, not things.

I worked with a lot of people with new cars, RVs and 65,000 pickups that had done minimum down and had $750 or higher monthly payments on something that loses value each and every year.

Keeping up with the Jones' is expensive and not worth it.