FedEx mounts big-money push to head off unionization by US workers

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You seem to think that you’re eternally young or something? Got news for you, you’ll be old one day (if you’re lucky) and singing a different tune and some young hot shot will replace you before you can retire because you’re too slow and crusty.

That’s your bright future at FedEx.

I seem to think that once you can no longer do the job, you don't need to be doing the job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I seem to think that once you can no longer do the job, you don't need to be doing the job.

Except at FedEx, they're more than happy to get rid of you if you get hurt, regardless of age.

I think it's ironic that there are now a lot of 60-70+ year old couriers out there.

1. They didn't save for retirement or can't afford to retire.

2. Still need to work and can actually do the job given the downward spiral in efficiency of the average courier.

3. Are one of the age groups willing to work at a crap employer like FedEx.

It will be fine

I see it as an argument against hourly pay. If an older dude still wants to work but it takes him 10 hours to do a route a younger guy could bang out it in 6 it doesn’t matter to me. The wage paid is the same. As long as the older dude isn’t doing crazy backtracking and racking up the miles it makes no difference if he’s a bit slower. The work gets done and my cost is the same. For some reason I doubt the folks crying ageism will agree with this.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
You can fire anyone, regardless of age, because he can't meet the performance expectations of the job. If you get so slow that you can no longer meet those expectations, you don't belong on that job. There is no requirement to adjust a job's expectations to match the abilities (or lack thereof) of the employee. Perhaps in situations where there is a qualifying disability and the reasonable standard accommodation, but not because someone gets slow.
Unless fedex has a performance standard that is required.

that is age discrimination

59 Dano

Except at FedEx, they're more than happy to get rid of you if you get hurt, regardless of age.

If you can't do the job, why shouldn't they?

I think it's ironic that there are now a lot of 60-70+ year old couriers out there.

1. They didn't save for retirement or can't afford to retire.

2. Still need to work and can actually do the job given the downward spiral in efficiency of the average courier.

As though couriers were these super efficient brainiacs in the past.

What the hell, some people look at Lamar Jackson's stats from Saturday's loss and think they prove he's a good QB.

vantexan

I see it as an argument against hourly pay. If an older dude still wants to work but it takes him 10 hours to do a route a younger guy could bang out it in 6 it doesn’t matter to me. The wage paid is the same. As long as the older dude isn’t doing crazy backtracking and racking up the miles it makes no difference if he’s a bit slower. The work gets done and my cost is the same. For some reason I doubt the folks crying ageism will agree with this.
Fine if you get a set rate, not so much if you're an hourly. I found that most older couriers have a better work ethic and what they may lack in athleticism they more than make up in willingness to work and experience.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Everyone knows the Republicans are anti union. What the Dems did in 2010 reminds me of that scene in Braveheart when William Wallace realizes he'd been betrayed by Robert Bruce. Shocked the hell out of me.

Democrats have propagated this notion that they are still for the little guy, etc. Reality is most big corporations support Democrats over Republicans. Most billionaires support Democrats over Republicans too. Dems and Republicans have flip flopped over the past 20 years or so, but especially now with Trump. Trump has blue collar support. Yeah Democrats might be just a tad more open to unions, but they aren't friends of unions either. You vote Democrat to get your imaginary union support, but you get Democrat pushed 'open borders' to flood the American workforce out and be replaced with cheap foreign workers. You vote Democrat for your union support and you get Democrats trying to make you a felon if you own a gun. You vote Democrat for your union support and you get Democrat supported 'drag queen story hour' being pushed on your 5 year old in school. You vote Democrat for your union support and you get Democrat pushed 'identity politics' trying to tear everyone apart. I can't vote Democrat just for all their BS that they support.

59 Dano

That the driver is held accountable to?

Couriers employment is not performance based.

As much as you want your right wing wet dream to be reality. It’s not the case.

You think it's a right wing wet dream to expect employees to be able to properly do the job that they are hired and paid to do? Seriously? What kind of p*ssified upbringing did you have?

59 Dano

Must not be very high if they've kept you around. If yours is good enough chances are everyone else's is as well.

My performance is better than your demonstrated business insight that you post here, but that's not saying much.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You think it's a right wing wet dream to expect employees to be able to properly do the job that they are hired and paid to do? Seriously? What kind of p*ssified upbringing did you have?
Well when you see upper management and CEO’s all across the country effing things up then moving on while collecting a huge severance check, I say what’s wrong with hourlies doing the same?

bacha29

Democrats have propagated this notion that they are still for the little guy, etc. Reality is most big corporations support Democrats over Republicans. Most billionaires support Democrats over Republicans too. Dems and Republicans have flip flopped over the past 20 years or so, but especially now with Trump. Trump has blue collar support. Yeah Democrats might be just a tad more open to unions, but they aren't friends of unions either. You vote Democrat to get your imaginary union support, but you get Democrat pushed 'open borders' to flood the American workforce out and be replaced with cheap foreign workers. You vote Democrat for your union support and you get Democrats trying to make you a felon if you own a gun. You vote Democrat for your union support and you get Democrat supported 'drag queen story hour' being pushed on your 5 year old in school. You vote Democrat for your union support and you get Democrat pushed 'identity politics' trying to tear everyone apart. I can't vote Democrat just for all their BS that they support.
Better take a look at how much money has been donated to the Republicans compared to what has been donated to the Democrats before you start claiming that corporations prefer Democrats..... And don't worry you can condemn the Democrats all you want but in the end you'll still enroll in every Democrat sponsored New Deal and Great Social program you can qualify for provided that the Republicans haven't by that time succeeded in their decades long efforts to defund or abolish them altogether.

vantexan

Better take a look at how much money has been donated to the Republicans compared to what has been donated to the Democrats before you start claiming that corporations prefer Democrats..... And don't worry you can condemn the Democrats all you want but in the end you'll still enroll in every Democrat sponsored New Deal and Great Social program you can qualify for provided that the Republicans haven't by that time succeeded in their decades long efforts to defund or abolish them altogether.
They gave a lot more to Hillary in 2016. The money goes with the presumptive winner.