FedEx mounts big-money push to head off unionization by US workers

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
When a certain level of performance has been consistently achieved by a swing/substitute and checkride verified, the guy who has has been on that route for 10 years should be able to consistently achieve a comparable level of performance.

I've always loved this attitude. It's a wonderful copout.
You still ignore facts. As a swing for 8 years, I observed my fellow swings violate methods, safety, and rules JUST TO PROVE THEY COULD BEST THE REGULAR DRIVER.
If you, as a manager, use this against a compliant driver, you are the largest part of what’s wrong with the company. And THAT’S the true cop out.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Pro tip, if someone wants to give you money, say yes. You’re welcome.

You mean it's not a good idea to leave yourself at risk for an extended period of time when there's no reward for doing so? SHOCKING.

For all we know, bumbling Bacha could have been shrewd enough to finance the sale at a usurious rate of interest, which could be enough to make the risk worthwhile, and with a provision that the other guy's failure to pay means that the route reverts back to him and he can turn around and sell it to another sucke.... I mean, buyer.

It's unlikely that he's that clever, but I'd hate to think that he's turning down quick easy money due to sheer ignorance.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You mean it's not a good idea to leave yourself at risk for an extended period of time when there's no reward for doing so? SHOCKING.

For all we know, bumbling Bacha could have been shrewd enough to finance the sale at a usurious rate of interest, which could be enough to make the risk worthwhile, and with a provision that the other guy's failure to pay means that the route reverts back to him and he can turn around and sell it to another sucke.... I mean, buyer.

It's unlikely that he's that clever, but I'd hate to think that he's turning down quick easy money due to sheer ignorance.
How can he resell something he claims is worthless, in good conscience?

Oh. Right. My bad.

59 Dano

You still ignore facts. As a swing for 8 years, I observed my fellow swings violate methods, safety, and rules JUST TO PROVE THEY COULD BEST THE REGULAR DRIVER.
If you, as a manager, use this against a compliant driver, you are the largest part of what’s wrong with the company. And THAT’S the true cop out.

I'm not denying what other swings said they did. I conducted checkrides with swings and couriers alike. Swings were usually better than couriers. Some swings are pure ass.

I always asked questions about what they (swings and couriers both) were doing and why they were doing it and asked them to talk me through what they were doing as the day went on. It's important to understand why they do things the way they do. The gist of it is that a lot of what couriers do is out of habit and convenience. Understandable, as that's human nature. Most of our swings didn't have a few years of habit on any route and (especially the good ones) approached each route as a puzzle to be pieced together instead of just blindly following the regular courier's habit.

It was an issue when swings were consistently making 100% of goal on a route that the regular courier wasn't, or when a swing's performance was consistently 10 points higher than the regular courier's.

As for me being a part of the problem, couriers said that I didn't know what it was like, despite that I'd been a courier and a swing. Alrighty then, we're going to have LOTS of checkrides so I can know what it's like, and I'll checkride the swings so I can know what it's like for them, too. And when we're all done and I say it can be done better, it's because I'VE WITNESSED IT BOTH WAYS AND HAD IT EXPLAINED TO ME BOTH WAYS and we can have the swing train you on your own route.

Problem solved.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I'm not denying what other swings said they did. I conducted checkrides with swings and couriers alike. Swings were usually better than couriers. Some swings are pure ass.

I always asked questions about what they (swings and couriers both) were doing and why they were doing it and asked them to talk me through what they were doing as the day went on. It's important to understand why they do things the way they do. The gist of it is that a lot of what couriers do is out of habit and convenience. Understandable, as that's human nature. Most of our swings didn't have a few years of habit on any route and (especially the good ones) approached each route as a puzzle to be pieced together instead of just blindly following the regular courier's habit.

It was an issue when swings were consistently making 100% of goal on a route that the regular courier wasn't, or when a swing's performance was consistently 10 points higher than the regular courier's.

As for me being a part of the problem, couriers said that I didn't know what it was like, despite that I'd been a courier and a swing. Alrighty then, we're going to have LOTS of checkrides so I can know what it's like, and I'll checkride the swings so I can know what it's like for them, too. And when we're all done and I say it can be done better, it's because I'VE WITNESSED IT BOTH WAYS AND HAD IT EXPLAINED TO ME BOTH WAYS and we can have the swing train you on your own route.

Problem solved.
What a crock of crap. You managers are all alike. Soon as a courier has driven the first mile, out comes your cell phone and your talking to another manager about either the sort, who’s called in sick or a heads up that the audit team is coming to your station for another rectal exam. You guys are worse that high school kids with those cell phones. I‘ve seen it time and again. Managers are bored and barely pay attention while riding with couriers. Your checkride scenario is a bunch of BS.

Sell your story to Disney, not us.

59 Dano

What a crock of crap. You managers are all alike. Soon as a courier has driven the first mile, out comes your cell phone and your talking to another manager about either the sort, who’s called in sick or a heads up that the audit team is coming to your station for another rectal exam. You guys are worse that high school kids with those cell phones. I‘ve seen it time and again. Managers are bored and barely pay attention while riding with couriers. Your checkride scenario is a bunch of BS.

Sell your story to Disney, not us.

One day I'm accused of being a micromanaging nitpicker who won't let a courier do his job.
The next day I'm accused of being bored and not paying attention to anything.

It's fascinating just how much effort a person can make to soldier through the cognitive dissonance to make mutually exclusive points.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
One day I'm accused of being a micromanaging nitpicker who won't let a courier do his job.
The next day I'm accused of being bored and not paying attention to anything.

It's fascinating just how much effort a person can make to soldier through the cognitive dissonance to make mutually exclusive points.
Actually your consistency is remarkable...as a struggling BS artist.

48meeting

CURRENT PAY RATE 37.64 TAXES
- REGULAR 37.640 40.00 1,505.60 FICA 140.01 6,031.47
- OVERTIME 56.460 13.33 752.61 FICA MEDICARE 32.75 1,410.59
- FEDERAL TAX 237.91 8,732.93
- CURRENT TOTALS 2,258.21 ST TAX- NC 98.00 4,156.00
- Y-T-D TOTALS 2,440.31 97,281.80 TOTALS 508.67
- DEDUCTIONS
-
- UNIONDUE 23.00 1,078.00
-

last check of year avg 43 hrs wk

Hi , ups was my first job (seasonal) , and remembered a driver show me his weekly check gross out to 1,300~
I know the driver's there make bank but with the new contract the union pushed -(22.1 i think it's called )is it worth it ?? Thinking about jumping ship tbh thanks

SmithBarney

Hi , ups was my first job (seasonal) , and remembered a driver show me his weekly check gross out to 1,300~
I know the driver's there make bank but with the new contract the union pushed -(22.1 i think it's called )is it worth it ?? Thinking about jumping ship tbh thanks

Go for it, it'll take you 10 yrs at FedEx to make hourly what you make at UPS your first year

SmithBarney

Most first years at UPS are as a package handler. People like to pretend everyone starts at top driver rate.

UPS is hiring off the street in many areas, also in many areas the inside wait to drive is less than 12 months, many boomers are retiring.

First year UPS driver makes more than FedEx 10yr driver, not pretending. I came from UPS as a 2.5yr driver.
I Cleared 45k my first year as a UPS driver(I didn't work a full 12 mo as a driver either, can't remember exact hourly rate but roughly 6mo @17.25, and 4-5mo@ 17.76)

It wasn't until year 10 at FDX did I even make more than my starting wage at UPS.

Before I get lambasted for leaving, family emergency required me to move, UPS does not(except in very rare situations) allow transfers within the company. That being said, I probably would not have stayed at UPS beyond 10years, I was putting in major hours working til 10pm most nights(we had a late 1030 start most days), I was putting away 90% of my pay. There are a select few that work hard as hell for 10yrs, put it away and "retire" from UPS. If I were young and had the opportunity, I would do it again, find an opening anywhere in the country, bust out 10-15 great years, put away the $$ and then find something else. You could easily put away $300,000-500,000 in that time period(in the right market) and the earnings on that $$ if invested properly would yield even more.

btrlov

Go for it ...but its not like the old days .....u will make more than mid-career pay express driver in 4 years. Also UPS like USPS has mostly universal pay scale across the country for union. this is beneficial in lost cost areas . While express drivers adjust pay for market, like ups management which also adjust pay for location. Transfers are far easier in express tho.

Most first years at UPS are as a package handler. People like to pretend everyone starts at top driver rate.
This is absolutely correct. also some part time supervisors go into driving but its rare. Once a upon a time if ups hires 5 drivers, 4 would be union and 1 was a part time sup or outside hire. UPS uses the stick shift non sense to filter out applicants even though a lot their trucks and whole buildings are automatic. because of the stick shift requirement that some buildings have, inside hiring is not as prolific as u might think.

The nature of UPS frontline management is mostly hostile to workers as they are the barriers between the goals of higher management and labor. This is why they take a lot of abuse mentally and seem very "intense: about their job. When u move from PH to driver, u are familiar with the nature of business and u have a job to fall back on if they deny you book. Often they will deny book by "resetting" ur days for book or delaying it via various means and loopholes. Basically ways to keep non union pressure on you so u wont get relaxed and screw their numbers up with union protection. a common loophole is seasonal hours dont count towards union book, this is why ups can do mass layoffs of seasonal workers with months on the job. UPS driver is basically a express driver and a ground driver combined.

On the other hand off the street hire u have no union protection till book and no job to fall back on. The pressure on you to perform is even higher as u have everything to lose. You will not be a top rate driver for 4 years and u might fall into the various cost saving titles the company has come ups with over the years. For example a Hybrid driver, or driver that does inside work at a different payscale. this may favor a preference for the company to hire outside ppl

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
Are they so short staffed that they really are putting experienced new hires on the road right away?

Yes. But again, it all depends on the location, and you have get through your first 30 days to qualify as a permanent FT driver. Per the national contract, the company is supposed to fulfill the 6 inside-union hires to 1 off-the-street hire ratio. Also, once a building has second-tier 22.4 'combination' drivers, no 'protected' (Mon-Fri) top-tier 'regular package car driver' jobs are to be offered to off-the-street applicants before insiders have the chance to bid them.

My center is so short-staffed that there seems to be no end to forced 6 day work weeks for the the 10 of us with the lowest seniority. Some days I remember why I chose this job; most days I am appalled that the union failed to negotiate a contract that would protect us against prolonged 6 day/60 hr weeks and compel the company to staff appropriately. Teamster leadership is overdue for serious pressure from the rank and file.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
eh, with 7 day operations at FXG. they're short handed because of the pay that some are getting isn't worth the workload (on some routes)

i'm currently a cover/swing over the weekends while acclimating to the new terminal & see where i'll go from here.

didn't mind sunday work: left all businessses behind & do strictly residentials