FedEx not going to buy planes

PobreCarlos

drewed;

However, the contractor system isn't an issue with the legislation FDX is presently concerned with; the Ground system is already under the NLRB and - as far as I can tell - FDX is well on its way there to converting the single-contractor model into a multi-employee contractor one....which probably pretty much accomplishes everything they want. What would be affected with the proposed legislation would be the Express system, which is under the Railway Act and not the NLRA.

What scares me is that, instead of just protesting organization via threatening not to buy domestic aircraft, FDX might attempt converting their Express system to the multi-contractor model as well...it COULD happen. And note that the Teamsters have yet (as evidenced by Airborne/DHL) to find a way to successfully organize multi-employee contractors; it seems that just as soon as one is organized, it's contract is lost, and another takes its place.

Potentially a tough nut to crack.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Honorable victory occurs when you excel over your competition, not when your competition falls prey to the same shackles you happen to wear.
You are aware that the founding father of this company invited the teamsters in! While the father of FedEx has fought, lied and cheated to keep us out!

Just so you know, WE are better then FedEx, so we have achieved an honorable victory already. With FedEx falling under the NLRB, the playing field will now be level and the employees will have the right in a democratic way to join or not join any union of their choosing!

BBAg i think its time for you to disappear again! No one here missed you!

COSMOS

1. I hear this "level playing field" term used by UPSers everywhere. It must be crammed pretty far down your throats by the Teamsters. It will never happen. There is competitive advantage/disadvatage in every industry. UPS will continue to lose market share until it comes up with an innovative new way to compete. Nothing will be gained by complaining. FedEx Ground has brought itself into compliance with state law where IC status was an issue and the IRS dropped its judgment. This will become more of a non-issue as time goes on.

2. What do FedEx Express employees hope to gain by Unionization. Look at the DHL teamsters. The nearest union DHL barn was 90 miles from here. They made less than I do. Now they have been replaced by IC's from some out of state company. The Teamsters see their numbers slowly declining and they'll do anything to find new members. Any Express courier who thinks he's going to see $29/hour and a $3500/month pension is kidding himself. The only thing you can count on is another paycheck deduction.

3. As a side note Obama has threatened to veto any FAA reauthorization with the FedEx ammendment attatched.

drewed

Shankman
COSMOS;50569 3. As a side note Obama has threatened to veto any FAA reauthorization with the FedEx ammendment attatched.[/quote said:
Wouldnt the ammendment be ALLOWING fedex to stay part of the rail act?

pretzel_man

1. I hear this "level playing field" term used by UPSers everywhere. It must be crammed pretty far down your throats by the Teamsters. It will never happen. There is competitive advantage/disadvatage in every industry. UPS will continue to lose market share until it comes up with an innovative new way to compete. Nothing will be gained by complaining. FedEx Ground has brought itself into compliance with state law where IC status was an issue and the IRS dropped its judgment. This will become more of a non-issue as time goes on.

2. What do FedEx Express employees hope to gain by Unionization. Look at the DHL teamsters. The nearest union DHL barn was 90 miles from here. They made less than I do. Now they have been replaced by IC's from some out of state company. The Teamsters see their numbers slowly declining and they'll do anything to find new members. Any Express courier who thinks he's going to see $29/hour and a $3500/month pension is kidding himself. The only thing you can count on is another paycheck deduction.

3. As a side note Obama has threatened to veto any FAA reauthorization with the FedEx ammendment attatched.

First, you third point is not accurate as far as I know. I think in 1996, the same change to the labor rules was proposed and failed. Its back again. I'm not aware that the current administration is opposed to it. It passed the transportation committee. I don't think it passed the committee last time.

Second, you said "There is competitive advantage/disadvatage in every industry." The rules for those in the same industry should be the same. How do you justify two companies in the same industry under different labor rules?

Both companies do the same thing today. One started as express only, an one started as ground only. Why is the origin of the two companies relevent to today's labor rules?

Finally, you second point is a good one. Just because the labor change makes it easier to organize, doesn't mean that they will. You argue that the employees have nothing to gain.

Okay, then why does FedEx fight the legislation? It should be irrelevant as thinking employees make up their own mind.

P-Man

Last edited by a moderator:

unionman

1.UPS is gaining express market share more than Fedx is gaining ground share. This is where the real growth is for us. China is a big battle ground and I think we are winning that war. If UPS ever takes advantage of this downturn in the economy and buys more planes and builds its airline up, there is no telling how much larger we could get. How do you figure that the RPS problem is a non issue? There are a lot of states out there that haven't even filed suit yet.

2. Don't blame the Teamsters for what some foreign company did to those American employees. That's just part of everything that has been wrong with this country and the Republican party.

3. Obama is on our side, so I doubt that is true.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
...This is where the real growth is for us. China is a big battle ground and I think we are winning that war....

UPS is not even on the battlefield when it comes to "winning the war" in asian markets. DHL dominates in that market, and UPS is actively shunned due to poor performance.

upsgrunt

UPS is not even on the battlefield when it comes to "winning the war" in asian markets. DHL dominates in that market, and UPS is actively shunned due to poor performance.

A former(?) member named BBAG used to use this statement almost verbatim. I wasn't sure when others accused you of being him, but now, after this statement, I have jumped on the bandwagon.

unionman

DHL has been there for years. We are new to the fight but we have a good foot hold and the market share can only go up from here.

chevyman

My question to Fedex employees; Ground, express, home delivery, or freight is what is the general concensus among the ranks. Granted teamsters would love to have Fedex become unionized, but it comes down to the ranks of the members. Are they happy with things the way they are or are they ready to take a chance and make a change and to get a little sliver more of the pie for themself. What is everyone hearing?

pretzel_man

I find this FedEx quote interesting:

"There is a lack of predictability in how this company will function when it's ripped from under the RLA by Congress," Lane said.

This "unpredictability" is what UPS lives with. What logic is there for two competitors doing the exact same business to be under two rules. Why should one deal with "unpredictability" and the other not.

Having to deal with and resolve this "unpredictability" can only make UPS people (hourly and management) stronger. Maybe that's why UPS people are better?

P-Man

pretzel_man

You may want to rethink your position. The world market is generally split into thirds. North America, Asia, and Europe.

In order to be a global player, you have to have presence in all three markets, don't you. For a long time, UPS thought the US was the only game in town. We learned and moved to become a global player.

How can DHL think of themselves as a GLOBAL company without having a presence in the United States?

Everything you hear today talks about the Global economy and all companies are trying to trade worldwide.

Looks to me like DHL is missing 1/3 of the pie. Maybe not as bad as missing a leg on a three legged stool, but it certainly will hamper them.

P-Man

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
You may want to rethink your position. The world market is generally split into thirds. North America, Asia, and Europe.

In order to be a global player, you have to have presence in all three markets, don't you. For a long time, UPS thought the US was the only game in town. We learned and moved to become a global player.

How can DHL think of themselves as a GLOBAL company without having a presence in the United States?

Everything you hear today talks about the Global economy and all companies are trying to trade worldwide.

Looks to me like DHL is missing 1/3 of the pie. Maybe not as bad as missing a leg on a three legged stool, but it certainly will hamper them.

P-Man

You are reading too far into what I said.

Someone above said something to the fact that China is a great growing market for UPS. It isn't. DHL OWNS Asia.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well I dont think the publicity will good for them either way, Boeing is cutting jobs at home (the US) and theyre going to spend money and put a foreign worker to work..

This may also be part of the plan. Smith has bought new aircraft from Airbus before, but I really think this is simple blackmail. He wants his way, and he's going to try and leverage Congress with the "Buy American" hocus-pocus. It worked for the recent tanker deal tha was originally awarded to Airbus and subsequently overturned. Smith is really clutching at straws with this gimmick, and it has already backfired on him with his own employees. Everyone knew about this at work today because it was all over the media, and there was no support for Smith at all. If anything, it proved how far he was willing to go to keep us down.