FedEx Express and Ground Are Going To Be the Same

bbsam

Staff member
It is for this particular location. You think they're going to risk poor service and lose big accounts in the Bay Area with all that money? Don't think so bro.
No. I think as areas of Ground are able to handle the service it will be turned on. When they can’t it will be turned off. Ground did it with Smartpost zip code by zip code.

Having Ground and Express in the same building makes it that much easier.

MAKAVELI

No. I think as areas of Ground are able to handle the service it will be turned on. When they can’t it will be turned off. Ground did it with Smartpost zip code by zip code.

Having Ground and Express in the same building makes it that much easier.
Smartpost has absolutely nothing in common with Express. You ground guys think it's a matter of flipping a switch. The service that Express sells can't be just flipped on for Ground. There's a whole list of variables why this wouldn't work in the Bay Area.

bbsam

Staff member
Smartpost has absolutely nothing in common with Express. You ground guys think it's a matter of flipping a switch. The service that Express sells can't be just flipped on for Ground. There's a whole list of variables why this wouldn't work in the Bay Area.
Good lord! That’s not what I said. Only that when I’m they determine a point when Ground can handle certain areas, they’ll turn those zips on. They will know the variables. They’ll know from day to day the volumes going to each.

And if the service is “by the end of the day”, they Ground has been working to integrate the hubs to build trailers to do just that. As far as service commitments going forward it sounds like those will be rolled back somewhat. Express will be using commercial airlines, Ground more rail.

Everything this company has been doing the last three years has been all about efficiency. If they can cut a 40 stop Express route by dividing it between 2 Ground routes, I don’t think they’ll hesitate.

Whatever we used to think we knew about FedEx service is about to radically shift to be more inline with their profit goals.

MAKAVELI

Good lord! That’s not what I said. Only that when I’m they determine a point when Ground can handle certain areas, they’ll turn those zips on. They will know the variables. They’ll know from day to day the volumes going to each.

And if the service is “by the end of the day”, they Ground has been working to integrate the hubs to build trailers to do just that. As far as service commitments going forward it sounds like those will be rolled back somewhat. Express will be using commercial airlines, Ground more rail.

Everything this company has been doing the last three years has been all about efficiency. If they can cut a 40 stop Express route by dividing it between 2 Ground routes, I don’t think they’ll hesitate.

Whatever we used to think we knew about FedEx service is about to radically shift to be more inline with their profit goals.
One year to fully implement is flipping a switch in this industry. All this is just talk and lip service at this point. You nor anyone can point to proof as this working and working successfully.

qdg2

So, is FDX more likely to be bought by Amazon? No Union to deal with......a little paint, pay cuts and voila! FDX already has pretty crappy vehicles....at least in my neighborhood...but then so does UPS.

qdg2

You mean more inline with the competition? Not just "profit goals"....but survivability?

govols019

You smell that?
Yep, a station in the Bay Area is in a combined building since last year. But both operations are still separate, including restrooms and break rooms and Ground isn't taking their freight.
How does that align with this ..

Another main objective is to attain what is called the “one van, one neighborhood” proposition. Today, it is commonplace for FedEx Express and Ground vans to circle a neighborhood several times per day, sometimes within hours of each other. “If you’ve ever seen a Ground and Express truck in your neighborhood on the same day, or watched them pass each other on the street, you know what we’re trying to accomplish,” said Smith.

MAKAVELI

How does that align with this ..

Another main objective is to attain what is called the “one van, one neighborhood” proposition. Today, it is commonplace for FedEx Express and Ground vans to circle a neighborhood several times per day, sometimes within hours of each other. “If you’ve ever seen a Ground and Express truck in your neighborhood on the same day, or watched them pass each other on the street, you know what we’re trying to accomplish,” said Smith.
It doesn't align, just like everything else at FedEx.

bbsam

Staff member
One year to fully implement is flipping a switch in this industry. All this is just talk and lip service at this point. You nor anyone can point to proof as this working and working successfully.
I’m agreeing with you. The one year timeline is just a number. Some areas they may hit that date, others not so much. May start fine in one area and due to staffing problems in Ground they switch freight back to Express. “Working and working successfully” is something I’m fairly confident of because the model is fluid and relatively easily adaptable across the network. The timeline is far more problematic.

Our scanners scan Express barcodes. Our trucks the same font and color scheme. Sales is the same group of do nothings. Our ne buildings are Express’ new buildings. We’ve been delivering Express packages for a couple years now. I don’t know how this doesn’t lead to Ground delivering the majority of Express regardless failures along the way.

bbsam

Staff member
You mean more inline with the competition? Not just "profit goals"....but survivability?
Maybe. I’m not sure survivability is really in question. Keeping and expanding market share which they were always very good at has fallen way off. They definitely have a long way to go and the direction they’re heading has a lot of questions.

MAKAVELI

I’m agreeing with you. The one year timeline is just a number. Some areas they may hit that date, others not so much. May start fine in one area and due to staffing problems in Ground they switch freight back to Express. “Working and working successfully” is something I’m fairly confident of because the model is fluid and relatively easily adaptable across the network. The timeline is far more problematic.

Our scanners scan Express barcodes. Our trucks the same font and color scheme. Sales is the same group of do nothings. Our ne buildings are Express’ new buildings. We’ve been delivering Express packages for a couple years now. I don’t know how this doesn’t lead to Ground delivering the majority of Express regardless failures along the way.
Our LEOs can scan GROUND barcodes as well. The point I'm making is until you see a major market switch over to GROUND, this is all bull đź’©.

bbsam

Staff member
Our LEOs can scan GROUND barcodes as well. The point I'm making is until you see a major market switch over to GROUND, this is all bull đź’©.
How much of a major market? I handed part of an are with 400,000 people. One of those cities has about 70000 people with six zip codes. The idea that all of Express in a couple of this zip codes is laughable to me.

MAKAVELI

How much of a major market? I handed part of an are with 400,000 people. One of those cities has about 70000 people with six zip codes. The idea that all of Express in a couple of this zip codes is laughable to me.
I wouldn't consider 400k a major market. So far less than a handful bum:censored2: rural stations have been absorbed by Ground and not one is reporting how that transition is going. And you believe this is going nationwide including the major metro areas in a year? 🤣

Zowert

And they'll still miss those pickups that ditched us for a better rate.
Yup. I had a small business cancel their account and go with FedEx. They showed up once in the first two weeks to pick up their stuff. By the third week I had a new pick up in my board, guess who it was! It was kind of funny because my first day back I was picking up boxes with UPS labels covering old FedEx labels. You get what you pay for.

bbsam

Staff member
I wouldn't consider 400k a major market. So far less than a handful bum:censored2: rural stations have been absorbed by Ground and not one is reporting how that transition is going. And you believe this is going nationwide including the major metro areas in a year? 🤣
No. I don’t believe that at all. In fact I think I’ve said a couple times it won’t be in a year.

So how long do we think it would take for Ground to mostly absorb 10 markets of 400,000? Is that close to an equivalent of a major market? How a hundred such markets? Coming close? Maybe some areas never get there. That’s the fluidity. None of this has to be done in a year. It’s a completely made up and insignificant timeframe for media indulgence.

MAKAVELI

No. I don’t believe that at all. In fact I think I’ve said a couple times it won’t be in a year.

So how long do we think it would take for Ground to mostly absorb 10 markets of 400,000? Is that close to an equivalent of a major market? How a hundred such markets? Coming close? Maybe some areas never get there. That’s the fluidity. None of this has to be done in a year. It’s a completely made up and insignificant timeframe for media indulgence.
Raj said we will be fully integrated by June 1st 2024. What does fully intergraded mean to you?

bbsam

Staff member
Raj said we will be fully integrated by June 1st 2024. What does fully intergraded mean to you?
And I said I don’t believe him. “Fully integrated “ is what you tell Wall Street when you want to look ambitious and in charge. In time the timeline will be “adjusted due to unforeseen challenges and opportunities”.

After all the years of FedEx lying to you, does it confuse you to see them lie to others?