FedEx Package Handler applicant here, have some questions.

Waymond

Hello all,

I have recently applied for the package handler position and had my interview. I was told that they were going to send out the background check towards the tail end of last week when I had my interview. How long does this usually take for them to get back to me? I was told I'd receive a phone call when they get the background check results in. The hiring process seems very odd to me, they did not even mention a drug test, is there one? The job search has been rough for me, and I'm hoping for good news on this one.

Thanks for any input on this.

Last edited:

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Huh huh... Package handler...
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1431223689.255579.jpg

AMJ_SLAYER

I'm a handler for express and you start at $12.6. I also take advantage of the tuition reimbursement and it is 3k max although they may not approve all of your classes possibly making it less. I've never been offered less money than 3k and I took a bunch of classes that don't fit their criteria.

The hiring process takes a while. They didn't call me for about a month, but once I signed the paper to be hired, I finished the training and background tests in about a week.

The job can be difficult, (a lot of heavy lifting, odd hours) but not bad for a college student.
Like someone else said, you're guaranteed 17.5 hours, but expect around 20 and 25 if you work your day off. You're also not allowed to go over 30 hours at express, or you will likely never see over time again.

Also don't try to move too far up the ladder, that's when the job starts to really suck. (Ex: ramp agents, sort leaders, ppu's or courier to name a few). No one I've ever met liked those jobs.

Last edited:

dezguy

With the tuition reimbursement; Doesn't it work so that if you take courses which are related to FedEx it is given as a non taxable reimbursement and if not it is given as taxable income? That's the way it works here...

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ground handlers repeatedly get sent home early on the AM side and the contractors get stuck finishing the loading of their vehicles. A pretty shabby deal and certainly not a job you can depend on. I'd be looking elsewhere.

overflowed

I really would look into the Express handlers in your area. At least you get guaranteed hours and the stuff won't be AS bulky. We have really high turnover at Express for the handler position, you can probably get in quite a bit faster. If you really want to work as a handler then so be it.