FedEx sues Texas Workforce Commission

Brokedownandbrown

So one can use the truck to make furniture deliveries with Fed ex boxes, or the sign on the side of the truck promoting the Used car dealership. Can make pick ups anytime they want. Fed ex also pays a fuel perk for routes that lose money, Ground has based with BTB model, so starting late on a daily basis would have a suit that would come and speak with you.They can pull your contract anytime, anywhere! Contractor is the guy driving, working and drumming up business everyday not some guy that shows up and is given four to five thousand of merchandise and told how, when, where to deliver. Fed-Ex is screwing America and laughing all the way to the bank.

Be a part of the solution not a part of the problem!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So one can use the truck to make furniture deliveries with Fed ex boxes, or the sign on the side of the truck promoting the Used car dealership. Can make pick ups anytime they want. Fed ex also pays a fuel perk for routes that lose money, Ground has based with BTB model, so starting late on a daily basis would have a suit that would come and speak with you.They can pull your contract anytime, anywhere! Contractor is the guy driving, working and drumming up business everyday not some guy that shows up and is given four to five thousand of merchandise and told how, when, where to deliver. Fed-Ex is screwing America and laughing all the way to the bank.

Be a part of the solution not a part of the problem!!

Contractors used to be able to use their vehicles to do whatever they wanted with them...as long as they covered-up the logos. I understand that this is no longer the case. So, it's my truck, not FedEx's, but they tell me I cannot drive it on the weekends or use it for any other purpose than to deliver FedEx Ground packages. Hmmm.

MaineGroundDriver

Contractors used to be able to use their vehicles to do whatever they wanted with them...as long as they covered-up the logos. I understand that this is no longer the case. So, it's my truck, not FedEx's, but they tell me I cannot drive it on the weekends or use it for any other purpose than to deliver FedEx Ground packages. Hmmm.

Nope, just have to have the logos covered up ..

CJinx

That's not what I've heard. I used to see Ground trucks at swap meets, delivering furniture during household moves etc. No longer, which makes me think that those vehicles have to stay at the terminal.
You're wrong and so is whoever told you that.

bbsam

Staff member
Now, wait a minute, lets be honest. You are telling me that because FedEx gives you the "flexibility" to start your drivers at whatever time you like:

1. You'll be able to provide 98%+ service?
2. Nobody will say anything?

I doubt very much that would happen if you decide to start your people at, lets say, 11:00 AM every day. I'll give you one example; don't you think you will have customers calling and complaining because you knocked at their doors at 8-9 PM with a freaking delivery? Does that makes any business sense?
Oh, we hear grumblings every now and then. But that really wasn't the point. I'm pretty flexible with my drivers and as long as they can service their area, I don't say too much about what time they show up. Some people aren't morning people.

My example was not theoretical. I have had drivers do it. We have had customers call and complain about what time they were getting deliveries. "UPS gets here at 9:30, your guy not til 3!" I simply explain to management that if they want time specified deliveries, there is a Fedex for that and it ain't us.

If the driver begins missing deliveries or pickup windows, I have two courses of action. I can either set their start time for them or I can restructure their route. I've done both.

MAKAVELI

don't you think you will have customers calling and complaining because you knocked at their doors at 8-9 PM with a freaking delivery? Does that makes any business sense?

UPS has been doing this for years,I just think they could care less about
what the public,or for that matter,the drivers whine about.

The difference is UPS is on road between 8-9 am every morning. So they are not out that late by choice. The workload dictates it.

RTURNSONLY

That's not what I've heard. I used to see Ground trucks at swap meets, delivering furniture during household moves etc. No longer, which makes me think that those vehicles have to stay at the terminal.
You're wrong and so is whoever told you that.
Thats not true. My buddy owns 4 routes in Central Florida and he can't use any of his trucks for anything else other than to make $ for Fedex. Yeah, he's allowed to leave his trucks parked overnight for free in front of the Fedex Office, (better known as Kinko's), but not allowed to take his wife shopping at Walmart on "his" company vehicle. Of course, the Kinko's parking perk comes as a financial benefit for the store since it acts as a billboard and attracts public. What a double standard!

bbsam

Staff member
Thats not true. My buddy owns 4 routes in Central Florida and he can't use any of his trucks for anything else other than to make $ for Fedex. Yeah, he's allowed to leave his trucks parked overnight for free in front of the Fedex Office, (better known as Kinko's), but not allowed to take his wife shopping at Walmart on "his" company vehicle. Of course, the Kinko's parking perk comes as a financial benefit for the store since it acts as a billboard and attracts public. What a double standard!

your buddy is wrong. I don't know how to be more clear on that. Now, it may be that for insurance purposes he can't have an unapproved rider in the vehicle, but I take my kids in the 4x4 Quigley all the time. Use trucks to move people, even considered hiring out with American furniture. That's why I like plain white trucks with magnets.

STFXG

Bb you have outside insurance or do you use protective?

Protectives policy is no unapproved drivers. Same with fedex. If you cover decals fedex doesn't care. If you have outside insurance they can't do anything. Just have to carry the minimum insurance covered in our contracts.

I'm the first call when I have friends or family moving. Just take a couple trucks home and get it done.

MAKAVELI

The difference is UPS is on road between 8-9 am every morning. So they are not out that late by choice. The workload dictates it.

but the affected customer doesn't give a crap whether it is by choice or not.

They sure would if they knew if the choice was to start in the morning like every other del company or have someone coming to their door when their children are going to bed. It's called customer service or do you not give a **** about that. I know as a customer I would.

bbsam

Staff member
They sure would if they knew if the choice was to start in the morning like every other del company or have someone coming to their door when their children are going to bed. It's called customer service or do you not give a **** about that. I know as a customer I would.
From what I have seen, I would say most people had been tracking the package all day and are just surprised/relieved/happy that the package arrived. 8pm, even 9pm simply isn't all that late around here. And you know what? Ground doesn't get to make that call, I do. They want the contractor model? Then they have boundaries and that's one of them.

bbsam

Staff member

Protectives policy is no unapproved drivers. Same with fedex. If you cover decals fedex doesn't care. If you have outside insurance they can't do anything. Just have to carry the minimum insurance covered in our contracts.

I'm the first call when I have friends or family moving. Just take a couple trucks home and get it done.
Yep. I use Protective. I am pretty sure unapproved riders can be in the vehicle as long as no packages are on board. Covered under "Dead head" insurance. We have even had "Unapproved" drivers return empty vehicles to the terminal on a regular basis.

MAKAVELI

From what I have seen, I would say most people had been tracking the package all day and are just surprised/relieved/happy that the package arrived. 8pm, even 9pm simply isn't all that late around here. And you know what? Ground doesn't get to make that call, I do. They want the contractor model? Then they have boundaries and that's one of them.

In other words you don't give a **** about customer service. That's the difference between ground and express. I gues they get what they pay for. And they maybe happy because they think the driver was out since 9:00am and not 11 or 12 just because they felt like it.

STFXG

Yep. I use Protective. I am pretty sure unapproved riders can be in the vehicle as long as no packages are on board. Covered under "Dead head" insurance. We have even had "Unapproved" drivers return empty vehicles to the terminal on a regular basis.

That's good to know. I was told years ago that unapproved passengers aren't covered under our insurance. Even when off duty. You need supplemental insurance to cover them or your own policy. Have never had the need for someone to use or ride along in one of my trucks. Thanks for the info!

Btw im still incredibly jealous of that quigley. Been keeping my eye out for one that's not trashed.

bbsam

Staff member
That's good to know. I was told years ago that unapproved passengers aren't covered under our insurance. Even when off duty. You need supplemental insurance to cover them or your own policy. Have never had the need for someone to use or ride along in one of my trucks. Thanks for the info!

Btw im still incredibly jealous of that quigley. Been keeping my eye out for one that's not trashed.
Yeah. The Quigley rocks! I still can't believe Ford doesn't build them right at their own factory. They would sell every single one of them and they have all the parts sitting right there. Idiots.

bbsam

Staff member
In other words you don't give a **** about customer service. That's the difference between ground and express. I gues they get what they pay for. And they maybe happy because they think the driver was out since 9:00am and not 11 or 12 just because they felt like it.
Per chance, good sir, should thou beest able to dislodge thy crown from thy well matched posterior, thou couldst take it as thy God ordained quest, blessed by the consecrated blood of our Lord and Saviour, to make it known far and wide...nay, the wide world over, of this damnedest injustice that hath been wrought upon the unknowing citizens in their child-like innocence. Forgo the giant armed beasts that dot the foul countryside. Indeed unbending remain such creatures spinning, spinning, always spinning in gentle breeze and foul fierce gail alike always spinning, never ending as thy noble quest shall prove. So yes, good sir. I bite my thumb at you.