FedEx To Expand Ground U.S. Operations To Six Days Per Week

worldwide

FedEx Corp. said that it will expand FedEx Ground U.S. operations to six days per week in response to the growing e-commerce demand and record influx of volume expected this holiday season, and beyond.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/fede...perations-to-six-days-per-week-20180912-00680

This change by FedEx Ground guarantees that full Saturday operations by UPS will continue and likely expand and accelerate. Have to keep up with the competition.

bacha29

FedEx Corp. said that it will expand FedEx Ground U.S. operations to six days per week in response to the growing e-commerce demand and record influx of volume expected this holiday season, and beyond.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/fede...perations-to-six-days-per-week-20180912-00680

This change by FedEx Ground guarantees that full Saturday operations by UPS will continue and likely expand and accelerate. Have to keep up with the competition.
The sleezy and deceptive way the press release is worded makes it look like Ground is an all company employee network. These 55,000 new employees they're talking about....are they company hires, contractor hires or company hires they had over to contractors and say "here's you new employee".
Six days a week is nothing new at co-habitated operations. Ground Mon-Fri HD Tues-Sat.

blacksox

Six days a week is nothing new at co-habitated operations. Ground Mon-Fri HD Tues-Sat
What is new, you now will get extra home trailers on Monday. So they now want your home routes running Mon-Sat year round

bacha29

What is new, you now will get extra home trailers on Monday. So they now want your home routes running Mon-Sat year round[/QUOTE Remember once consolidated under one roof there will no longer be separate Ground and HD operations. It will as be operated as Ground with everybody running 6 and chances are 7 days a week year round within at a guess 5 years. Fat Freddy disclosed these plans about 6 years ago. When Fat Freddy tells you something it's not often that he doesn't go through with it. Even if it doesn't make sense or is an impossible task and at Ground more often than not it's a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution.

so the plan is for fedex to merge HD with ground? After they merge together-Fedex expects contractors to run 6 days a week? How on earth will contractors find drivers who will want to work 6 days a week?

bacha29

so the plan is for fedex to merge HD with ground? After they merge together-Fedex expects contractors to run 6 days a week? How on earth will contractors find drivers who will want to work 6 days a week?
When you're working for peanuts, the only difference between 5 days versus 6 days is a slightly larger bag of peanuts. If there are guys willing to work 70 hours a week year round it will be more often than not driven by pure economic necessity. Remember, like just about every other thing that's dumped on them once it's done it then becomes a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution.

So lets say you own 8 overlapping hd/ground routes(4 HD and 4 ground routes) is the idea that 4 drivers would work Mon-Fri and other 4 drivers would work Tues-Sat and the hope would be that on days where only 4 drivers work (Monday and Saturday) those drivers would be able to handle the workload for your service area?

It will be fine

So lets say you own 8 overlapping hd/ground routes(4 HD and 4 ground routes) is the idea that 4 drivers would work Mon-Fri and other 4 drivers would work Tues-Sat and the hope would be that on days where only 4 drivers work (Monday and Saturday) those drivers would be able to handle the workload for your service area?
Something like that. I don’t look at my stuff as HD or Ground routes. I know the volume to expect each day and plan accordingly. My Saturdays and Mondays tend to be pretty light on delivery volume so it’s easy to cut routes those days. 6 day operation will make it a bit trickier because we don’t know how the volume will shift.

floridays

No, it is, "You signed on for this, scheduling and adequate staff to cover your investment is your problem." Make it happen.

floridays

Something like that. I don’t look at my stuff as HD or Ground routes. I know the volume to expect each day and plan accordingly. My Saturdays and Mondays tend to be pretty light on delivery volume so it’s easy to cut routes those days. 6 day operation will make it a bit trickier because we don’t know how the volume will shift.
Cutting routes equals cutting driver's pay? Not very liberal of you.

floridays

No it doesn’t. My guys work 5 days a week. I send out fewer routes that cover more area on Mondays and Saturdays. I would recommend not commenting on issues you clearly don’t understand.
You said you cut route's, a reasonable person would assume a route was scheduled then cut, sending someone home. Do you pay salary, or require a driver to support your operation later to support your volumes?

It will be fine

You said you cut route's, a reasonable person would assume a route was scheduled then cut, sending someone home. Do you pay salary, or require a driver to support your operation later to support your volumes?
Just stop, you’re making yourself look foolish. Let the man with real questions ask them and get answers from someone that’s actually been operating like this for years. Don’t make him read your drivel intended to win some silly political point.

floridays

No it doesn’t. My guys work 5 days a week. I send out fewer routes that cover more area on Mondays and Saturdays. I would recommend not commenting on issues you clearly don’t understand.
After my last response I re-read your response, You have less routes SCHEDULED on Monday and Saturday, with defined work days for your drivers. We are on the same page now. You don't cut routes, you schedule less routes.

floridays

Just stop, you’re making yourself look foolish. Let the man with real questions ask them and get answers from someone that’s actually been operating like this for years. Don’t make him read your drivel intended to win some silly political point.
No, I'm not. I think my post delivered while you sent this may explain my response. Semantics.