FedEx Truck Kills 2 Kids in MS.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
My real concern lies with the PUD people, where you have employees running like rabbits to make "goal", which is more important to FedEx than being safe. Productivity is critical, but you can only squeeze so much juice from an orange, and then there is none left. FedEx is trying to gain productivity by breaking the safety envelope, and there is no question that it is happening. Pretending that the corporation is being "safe" isn't going to work, especially when most of us will readily acknowledge that preaching safety is much different from actually practicing it.

I surprised we still have a safety director within each district anymore. With the blatant disregard for employee and public safety, the whole thing is just a sham these days. Little more than a PR tool.

newgirl

You can set up a google alert for fedex, or fedex accidents. Every time one hits the news you will get an email about it. I suggest just using fedex, then you get tons more info, like the couple who tried to walk out with several ipads and iphones the other day.

As for ground vs express vs freight for accidents, I do tend to see more ground accidents, both semis and walk-ins.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You come on here and make a statement like that with no data to back it up. That's all I see.

Afraid to see for yourself? Do the checking, and let me know what you find out. If you think I'm so wrong, don't make me carry your water for you. The trend is pretty obvious, and with the new DOT monitoring system for heavy trucks, FedEx is probably racking-up some big points. I don't know if the Feds look at all divisions rolled together or if they break them out individually.

bbsam

Staff member
Google "FedEx accidents", and see what comes up. There are lots of really bad accidents involving Ground semi drivers. Let me know if you concur after you've read about 20 stories.
Well that hardly gives us an objective look, does it? I thought maybe you had DOT data so we could compare across a range of companies. Maybe not though. What happens if you google "UPS accidents"?

bbsam

Staff member
Afraid to see for yourself? Do the checking, and let me know what you find out. If you think I'm so wrong, don't make me carry your water for you. The trend is pretty obvious, and with the new DOT monitoring system for heavy trucks, FedEx is probably racking-up some big points. I don't know if the Feds look at all divisions rolled together or if they break them out individually.
You made the original claim, so backing it up should be you carrying your own water, don't you think?

vantexan

A family's tragedy shouldn't be someone's excuse to attack the company beyond the authorities involved. Let's show a little respect and drop this matter.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well that hardly gives us an objective look, does it? I thought maybe you had DOT data so we could compare across a range of companies. Maybe not though. What happens if you google "UPS accidents"?

I have Googled "UPS Accidents", and there aren't nearly as many. In fact, I'd have to say that serious UPS Brown accidents are much less frequent than FedEx Ground accidents in trems of tractor-trailers. There isn't a DOT Comparison sheet out there as far as I know, so I cannot make a concrete statement of the data.

Just do what I asked, and look for yourself. I think you wil objectively be able to see that there are a lot of Ground accidents. Just do the year 2011, and make the discovery for yourself. Then you can't come on here and say in as many words that I'm blowing smoke.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A family's tragedy shouldn't be someone's excuse to attack the company beyond the authorities involved. Let's show a little respect and drop this matter.

I fully respect the family, and I'd like them to get some form of justice from FedEx. If the driver wasn't properly trained, or overloaded with stops, or on meth...it needs to come out. My whole point here is that with the way things are now (productivity over safety), more of these types of tragedies are going to occur. I don't want it to be my family or anyone elses's. Anyone who is a parent understands the loss these people have suffered, and if FedEx gives then $50 miilion, it isn't going to get any better. You cannot replace a child that is the center of your existence because you love them so much. The anti-safety behaviors and policies of FedEx need to be challenged and modified. That would be the kind of meaningful change that money can't buy.

FedEx talks safety, but doesn't practice it. They need to be held accountable for their double standard.

Cactus

FedEx talks safety, but doesn't practice it. They need to be held accountable for their double standard.

That's whole root of the problem right there and it's one of the biggest cancers within FedEx which will ultimately grow out of control unless something is done. But with Smith at the helm don't count on it anytime soon.

FedExer267

Just the other day I was driving down the freeway and ther was a HD truck upside down on the freeway. Not sure how that happened no one else was involved that I could see. I know in my building the majority of new hires go to th HD side for Peak. I also know these guys are working some long hours as their counts climb, which is why their work gets kicked over to Ground. Now Ground counts climb and the big thing here is drivers already work 12+ hours a day with no breaks, no lunches, and no OT, so it is human nature to speed and try and get done. Sounds like a company that half hearted preaches Safety is not doing much to try and give a better solution.
They know we work 12+ hours a day with no breaks, but lets add more work to drivers who might be tired and rush all day and pray that something doesn't happen. Safety is not what they are thinking when they add 50+ stops to a truck a day instead of giving them to a seasonal driver to deliver because they have to pay them which hurts the bottomline.

bbsam

Staff member
Well Sam since I carried your water for you here's the link that you wanted googled. :happy-very:
SAFER Web - Company Snapshot FEDEX GROUND PACKAGE SYSTEM INC
Well done. Did you notice that in 2 of 3 areas Fedex did better than the national average? No. Of course not.

Cactus

Did you notice that in 2 of 3 areas Fedex did better than the national average?

At what, target practice?

Fake FedEx vehicle.jpg
Fake FedEx vehicle.jpg