FedEx vs UPS driver

UPS Lifer

I think some of the bad news that is hitting FedEx right now is affecting the workforce. I got a FDX delivery yesterday and I couldn't believe how slow this driver moved. He was pleasant but slow as molasses! First time I have ever seen a FDX driver move that slow! What surprised me was he was an Express driver not a ground driver.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Time to bid off that route I guess. :wink2:

10pm really? I've never worked that late, even during peak......

Lucky you, I worked til 10 pm for 3 years, waiting to get on the driver pre-load, now they will put in pas and hire pre-loaders, so back to 10 am to 10pm most likely, that is if they really can get us out on the road by 10am, I have my doubts about that one.

Jim Kemp

Time to bid off that route I guess. :wink2:

10pm really? I've never worked that late, even during peak......

10 pm was an early day at our center this peak.
The friday after new years I worked until almost 11 pm.
Half the drivers in our center worked until 10 pm.
Why would I bid off my route when I have one of the lowest dispatches?

Griff

Lucky you, I worked til 10 pm for 3 years, waiting to get on the driver pre-load, now they will put in pas and hire pre-loaders, so back to 10 am to 10pm most likely, that is if they really can get us out on the road by 10am, I have my doubts about that one.

10am start? Wow, I'm glad I don't work there.

I have like 30 stops off at 10AM...

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Well, if UPS would just get their heads out of their *** maybe they would build a decent facility in Las Vegas. We get our volume from a hub over 300 miles away, we are now averaging 600% and our last trailers don't make it til after 9:00 so we aren't leaving until 10:30 - 11:00. Most mornings during the winter our air doesn't get here until late, let's see it was 2:30 on Tues and 11:30 on Fri. So much for service huh? We have a commit time of 12:00 and when we don't leave until 11:00 it's pretty interesting. Las Vegas is only 100 miles away and they are drowning in packages. They have more service failures than some centers even deliver everyday, yet UPS just can't seem to see it, how service in both our areas could be improved with a good facility there. Las Vegas services more than just that city (which by the way has been in the top 3 cities for growth in I don't know how many years at least 6 or 7) They do it out of two small centers, you know the kind, trailers with doors to back up to. We have two trailers end to end and some rollers out one door where 4 more trucks are loaded. This is such a mickey mouse operation it's embarassing.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Well, if UPS would just get their heads out of their *** maybe they would build a decent facility in Las Vegas. We get our volume from a hub over 300 miles away, we are now averaging 600% and our last trailers don't make it til after 9:00 so we aren't leaving until 10:30 - 11:00. Most mornings during the winter our air doesn't get here until late, let's see it was 2:30 on Tues and 11:30 on Fri. So much for service huh? We have a commit time of 12:00 and when we don't leave until 11:00 it's pretty interesting. Las Vegas is only 100 miles away and they are drowning in packages. They have more service failures than some centers even deliver everyday, yet UPS just can't seem to see it, how service in both our areas could be improved with a good facility there. Las Vegas services more than just that city (which by the way has been in the top 3 cities for growth in I don't know how many years at least 6 or 7) They do it out of two small centers, you know the kind, trailers with doors to back up to. We have two trailers end to end and some rollers out one door where 4 more trucks are loaded. This is such a mickey mouse operation it's embarassing.

yes, I believe if some customers really knew what went on sometimes at ups they would really wonder what was happening. They already know that dhl and much of fedex ground sucks and they probably dont hold them to as high as standards as ups. It seems as if all buildings have been out dated, regarding space for years. I think that when ups build the buildings they couldnt justify making it bigger because the space would be wasted, thus not being efficient....now to make it larger they are spending much more that if it was done years ago. And it seems like its not done properly now...just a few rollers thrown out the end of am mdu. Hell, the mdu's have been outgrown and they are loading another few trucks off if those.

chipolapitch

OLD SUP
Both drivers have to work hard, yes there is incentive for Fedex drivers to work harder, but UPS drivers can park their vehicles, schedule their vacations and off days and forget about it. FedEX's business model has been brilliant up to this point, if they can figure a way to consolidate services by eliminating FEDEX, FEDex ground and Fedex home delivery from driving the same miles daily...I'm afaid UPS is in a world of hurt.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Both drivers have to work hard, yes there is incentive for Fedex drivers to work harder, but UPS drivers can park their vehicles, schedule their vacations and off days and forget about it. FedEX's business model has been brilliant up to this point, if they can figure a way to consolidate services by eliminating FEDEX, FEDex ground and Fedex home delivery from driving the same miles daily...I'm afaid UPS is in a world of hurt.

Damn man, they have been around for more than 10 years, and our volume is growing...they have had a effect on our business but for being around for a decade they dont have much to show for it. I do agree that some of their drivers are becoming more professional, but fedex states that the drivers can make more money the harder they work. Drivers have very little clout to go into a business and ask to switch volume from ups to fedex. UPS drivers are much more suited to do this and have much better relationship with customers to approach them. Basically fedex business model up to this point is to milk their drivers for everything they have with empty promises...dude there is a high turnover rate at fedex ground and home...check it out..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We just got a 2-page internal letter on the Express side from Fred S stating that the contractor-based Ground model was here to stay and that IRS and courts were wrong. The essence of his position in the letter was that the contractors liked being independent and "preferred" the new plan of offering drivers incentives to operate multiple routes instead of becoming employees.

I personally think Smith is whistling in the wind, and that he's just posturing to try and keep the stock prices up while this controversy swirls around. Does he really think that he can defy both the IRS and the courts? What's really interesting is how FedEx has flip-flopped regarding the IRS position on the contractors. To their credit, the Teamsters picked-up on this, and ,hopefully, so will the courts. Once again, Fred thinks he is above the law...we'll see.

brownrodster

What exactly is salary cap? Drivers arent on salary. How often does a driver get a raise and how much is it?

Here's a pretty good estimate of a cap. Over the next 5 years drivers will get $4 per hour in raises.

Package drivers make less than this:

(28.38 x 40 x 52) + (42.57 x 20 x 52) = 103,303.2

I read UPS propaganda where they state that the average yearly salary for a driver is 75k.

terrymac

Im a feeder driver, I took all vaccations plus option days, averaged a 9.5 most of the time and came out at 75.5k , not bad for listening to music all shift......................

feeder53

ADKtrails
I applied for a driver position at Fedex and had an interview the same day UPS called me. I think the numbers where skewed in the original report and I do not wish to be responsible for the care and feeding of a delivery truck. I chose UPS. I been a teamster for many years and have driven for Leaseway, TNT and now UPS. When Leaseway went non-union, they lost the contracts they had because the workers had more damages, accidents and they had little control over the contract workers. so all in all I think UPS is my company.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Annual earnings:
  • FedEx Ground Driver - Roughly $50,000-60,000, paid per delivery
  • UPS Driver - Roughly $70,000, includes $26.17 per hour wage plus overtime
Job-related expenses:
  • FedEx Ground Driver - Fuel, maintenance, other supplies; cost of route/truck: $30,000
  • UPS Driver - None specified
Health care:
  • FedEx Ground Driver - Driver can opt into plan with some contribution from FedEx Ground
  • UPS Driver - UPS covers full cost of family-covered health insurance
Retirement:
  • FedEx Ground Driver - Driver can opt into plan with some contribution from FedEx Ground
  • UPS Driver - UPS pays into a defined benefit pension plan
Leave:
  • FedEx Ground Driver - Unpaid time off, based on availability of replacement
  • UPS Driver - 4 weeks paid vacation, 1 week paid for personal or sick leave
Job security:
  • FedEx Ground Driver - FedEx Ground can terminate driver’s contract at any time
  • UPS Driver - Union contract mandates UPS demonstrates “just cause” for dismissal
https://web.archive.org/web/2011082.../fed-up-with-fedex/a-tale-of-two-drivers.html

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Cheryl's post pretty much says it all. After expenses, a FedEx Ground Driver will net around $30,000 to $40,000, and I'm pretty sure the current higher prices for diesel are not reflected in the FedEx projections. If you factor in some sick time and any sort of major vehicle problems, the income figure will be even lower. And if your truck does suffer a major breakdown, you must lease a replacement vehicle at substantial cost. I don't drive for Ground, but I talk to a lot of the drivers, and they are not happy with the screwing they are getting. Most of them are netting right around $30,000 unless they operate multiple routes. Be glad you chose to go Brown.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't know. I actually went to a FedEx Ground recruiting event once just to be informed. They were very clear that a single contractor would probably net somewhere between $38,000 to $45,000 after expenses, which is in the ballpark of truth. What they weren't clear on were the long hours, additional expenses above and beyond their optimistic projections,and level of responsibility involved. In other words, they mis-represented the facts, and didn't say you would be held to the same standards as an bona fide employee.

brownrodster

Annual earnings:
  • FedEx Ground Driver - Roughly $50,000-60,000, paid per delivery
  • UPS Driver - Roughly $70,000, includes $26.17 per hour wage plus overtime
Leave:
  • FedEx Ground Driver - Unpaid time off, based on availability of replacement
  • UPS Driver - 4 weeks paid vacation, 1 week paid for personal or sick leave

That info is close but a little out of date.

$28.28 top pay with overtime in at 42.57$ per hour.
7 weeks paid vacation after 20 years of service plus 5 optional days to be used anytime. And an addition 5 days of sick pay which accumulates if you do not use it. Sick pay accumulates up to about 430 hours and all unused hours are paid out upon retirement.

At least that's how it is in my region / supplement. May differ under other regionial contracts.