FedEx worker found frozen to death

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That suit, and the award, had merit if you read the details. It doesn’t compare at all with an icy lot.

But they'd rather eat handfuls of Cheetos and shake their heads, "THAT'S SO STUPID THAT WOMAN SUED FOR A BAZILLION DOLLARS FOR A COFFEE."

Oldfart

That is an interesting article. The author is obviously not fooled by the FedEx PR machine.
The 9th largest employer in the country and more than half do potentially dangerous jobs. Sadly, accidents happen and many times it is human error. People just don't realize how quickly an unsafe act can go sour. Blaming the company for mistakes made by humans is easy but not always the correct call.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The 9th largest employer in the country and more than half do potentially dangerous jobs. Sadly, accidents happen and many times it is human error. People just don't realize how quickly an unsafe act can go sour. Blaming the company for mistakes made by humans is easy but not always the correct call.
Paying lip service to safety in order to establish a defense when things go wrong isn’t human error. It’s a concerted effort to minimize the expense of properly training an employee. If watching a video were sufficient to properly train someone, there would be a lot more electricians in the world.
Take a survey of frontline employees to find out how many agree they’ve been properly trained before you throw them under the bus.

Oldfart

Paying lip service to safety in order to establish a defense when things go wrong isn’t human error. It’s a concerted effort to minimize the expense of properly training an employee. If watching a video were sufficient to properly train someone, there would be a lot more electricians in the world.
Take a survey of frontline employees to find out how many agree they’ve been properly trained before you throw them under the bus.
I can't think of 1 aspect of my job that I didn't receive enough training on to keep me safe while doing that job. I taught myself many aspects of the powerpad and the Leo device but neither of those will jeopardize my safety. I went thru defensive driving, tractor trailer, forklift class. Was taught to not cross moving belts and to not jump off or climb up loading docks. What part of your job did you not receive adequate training on? Learning to be an electrician is way more difficult than being a dumb ole truck driver.

bacha29

I can't think of 1 aspect of my job that I didn't receive enough training on to keep me safe while doing that job. I taught myself many aspects of the powerpad and the Leo device but neither of those will jeopardize my safety. I went thru defensive driving, tractor trailer, forklift class. Was taught to not cross moving belts and to not jump off or climb up loading docks. What part of your job did you not receive adequate training on? Learning to be an electrician is way more difficult than being a dumb ole truck driver.
Perhaps all those trips to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy did some good after all. And yes indeed you should be keenly aware of the skills an electrician must acquire given all the electroshock treatments X has given you over the years and judging by your comments....you obviously liked it.

Oldfart

Perhaps all those trips to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy did some good after all. And yes indeed you should be keenly aware of the skills an electrician must acquire given all the electroshock treatments X has given you over the years and judging by your comments....you obviously liked it.
Miserable and hating life is no way to go thru life. You need a hobby

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Not something I’m proud of, but I had to take a remedial driving course early in my career.
Totally different from the course I took to become a courier, and absolutely needs to be the training every driver receives.

Discovered throughout my career that this was the FedEx method. Give someone the proper training only after something goes wrong. FedEx isn’t the only company to use this method, but as important as being a “Best Company to Work For “ is to them, it’s disgraceful how cavalier they are in this regard.

TNT Frosty

he fell and hit his head; we too have had drivers fall and hit their heads, but lucky, australia... and plenty of people around during the day times when they do fall out the back.

Oldfart

Not something I’m proud of, but I had to take a remedial driving course early in my career.
Totally different from the course I took to become a courier, and absolutely needs to be the training every driver receives.

Discovered throughout my career that this was the FedEx method. Give someone the proper training only after something goes wrong. FedEx isn’t the only company to use this method, but as important as being a “Best Company to Work For “ is to them, it’s disgraceful how cavalier they are in this regard.

REDS and the Defensive Driving class are two different classes with two different agendas. You want FDX to send EVERY driver thru REDS even if they have no driving defencencies? Interesting

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
REDS and the Defensive Driving class are two different classes with two different agendas. You want FDX to send EVERY driver thru REDS even if they have no driving defencencies? Interesting
Only if FedEx is serious about safety.

During Defensive Driving we had a driver go the wrong way on a one way street.
During REDS we had a driver consistently change lanes in intersections.

Both became couriers with ‘coaching ‘ from the instructor. The one at my station later drove through a garage door at a residence.

So, no, FedEx doesn’t take safety seriously, or neither would have been hired.

dezguy

So exactly where is the safety violation you are concerned about?
Only if FedEx is serious about safety.

During Defensive Driving we had a driver go the wrong way on a one way street.
During REDS we had a driver consistently change lanes in intersections.

Both became couriers with ‘coaching ‘ from the instructor. The one at my station later drove through a garage door at a residence.

So, no, FedEx doesn’t take safety seriously, or neither would have been hired.