Feeder Driver Interview

Carhlr

Hello all just found thid site and need some advice! I applied 2 weeks ago on-line for a feeder driver position. I was called 1 week later and invited back in to complete my aplication. I was called again a week later 5-26 and told they are hiring 2 permant tractor trailer drivers out of a nearby location and to visit upsjobs.com and set up an interview time well it's tuesday. I have several question since I know nobody thats works for ups I guess this a a good place to start. When they say permanant what does this mean. I have a great union job now but the company is in chapter 11. I always thought you had to work seasonal first. so what's the difference? being "permanant" will you get work before seasonal guy's even if they have been there longer? next question is I need to be 100% sure I have a job with UPS before I sign a quit slip at my current job I have 8 years in so I'm assuming they have ran my background check and DMV record and past employment history before they would contact me for an interview? Surfing the web on this subject has kinda given me cold feet now.....hearing stories of people being hired permanant working 1 day and being laid off for 2-3 weeks. I am really uneasy about taking a chance leaving where i'm at for a potential unknown.... I'm assuming before they put you in a truck all the paperwork job history etc is complete. I would appreciate any input from anyone here

Thanks

Carhlr

trickpony1

There is a feeder supervisor/manager that posts frequently under the moniker of "tieguy" but, of course, he can only speak of the rules in his location. He may be able to offer assistance beyond what I, a feeder driver, could offer.

I would highly recommend that you:

-find out what Teamster's Local covers the location that you intend to be a feeder driver at and speak to the UPS business agent regarding your questions. You might inquire who the feeder union steward is at this location and ask the business agent for the feeder union steward's phone number so you could direct questions to him.

-you say you have a great union job already but didn't mention what union unless, of course, that is more info then you care to share. I'm sure you can see the advantages if your current union membership is with the Teamster's.

The company has taken many loads that used to be run on the railroad and put them on the road to meet and beat the competitor's service line. Many years ago 8 feeder drivers were hired off the street due to increased volume created by a change in shipping laws in my area. If they are hiring off the street, that might mean that no package drivers are interested which could work in your favor. You also didn't mention if you had a CDL.

I would also assure that you have absolutely NO VIOLATIONS on your driving record that the company could stumble over as I am aware of a situation in a nearby location where a mechanic was hired, and had quit his previuos job, only to be told that he had a ticket on his record and couldn't work for our company. What a rip-off....he had a wife and some kids.

There are some feeder drivers that also post frequently on this site....maybe they can offer some suggestions.

It's a good job with long hours but it pays well. GOOD LUCK.

A

Anonymous Gear Jammer

A permanent tractor-trailer job should mean a full-time position actually hired on, in the union, and on seniority list. With UPS new improved transit times (Fast Lane), some locations are having trouble getting enough drivers. Usually when hiring off the street they look at past and present seasonal drivers. So, either they already hired all the past and present seasonal drivers or maybe they want to see if there are more experienced drivers interested. If they say they are hiring two permanent drivers, I think they would have or will have two open jobs in the department. However certain locations do have what I think they call the Casual Board, where your on call so when needed they call you in. But in these types of locations when a JOB (5 days, 40 hour guarantee) opens up they fill them from drivers on the casual board by seniority of course. If you are hired on permanent for a JOB or Casual Board you would should have rights to work over all the seasonal / temp. drivers. When you do go in for the interview make sure to ask questions. First make sure it is really a permanent full-time job, not seasonal / temporary. Whether it would be for a 5 day, 40 hour guarantee job or the Casual Board (on call). If for Casual Board find out how many people are on it already to determine chance of getting a 5 day, 40 hour guarantee job anytime soon. Usually when hired permanently there is a probationary period where in case the driver got in accident or could not do the job, they can in the case of off the street hires, let them go. As for worries of lay-offs, if they are hiring for two permanent full-time 5 day, 40 hour guarantee jobs you would most likely be safe at-least till after peak, all depends on location and demand. Usually if lay-offs do occur it is after peak until April or May when maximum vacations kick in. Feel free to ask for further clarification if needed. Best of luck.

trickpony1

Carhauler,
Just an afterthought.....
If you were a carhauler, as your moniker suggests, then:
-you probably have a CDL. "doubles" and "triples" (if applicable in your state) are add-on endorsements that require a written test, I believe.
-you probably know how to back a trailer rather well.
-you probably know how to shift gears rather well.
My guess is you are being heavily recruited by the company for these very reasons.
Are you a "shoe-in" for the job? My guess is yes, unless you do something exceedly stupid.
As the previous poster suggested, go to the interview, ask a lot of questions, smile alot and kiss every rear end that moves.
GOOD LUCK.

Carhlr

********************UPDATE*************************

After being called by HR twice I went to my "interview" I was there 15 minutes ahead of time THEY DID NOT NKOW I WAS COMING IN it was a big surprise. after standing aroung in the feeder office for 15 minutes listening to "He quite, He quit, He quit......" I sit down with this guy who starts out by saying "so your here for the seasonal job" I said NO I was told by HR you were hiring 2 permanant drivers he says NO!!!!!! I was asked if I can shift a semi and back a trailer.....WTF I told him I'm not going to quit a $70,000 a year job to come and work for $14.70 an hour until september. He kept saying "all this can change at anytime".....he must have said this 20 times no lie........He asked me "it looks like you don't want to continue" I said no no lets keep going......it all came down to "when can you start" I told him if you call me and say your permanant I'll be here right-now he took a red pen and wrote ASAP on top of my App. I must say for being such a "Good Company" It kinda seemed like a cluster friend...... I'm not counting on anything I'm not calling them they have my info THEY CAN CALL ME

tieguy

Banned
Driver,

Who was the interview you just had with? Was it a feeder manager or sup or was it or was it an HR person? The reason I ask is because you generally don't overhear a lot of dialogue about people quitting in a UPS feeder department. If it was the HR office then it might explain somethings. HR people overall rarely hire feeder drivers off the road therefore they tend to be a little "confused" when they actually do so.

I agree with Trick you need to talk to the teamsters local that represents that building. I'm guessing at this point but it sounds like the building you are going to might have some type of summer casual language. If so then they may be looking to work some summer casuals and then pick the best two for the permanent positions in september. Just a guess.

Your right in that it would not be good for you to give up your permanent position for a casual maybe in september job. The other thing you have to consider is that even if you get hired you would have to go through a 30 day qualifying period before you are truly permanent.

It might be worth your while to spend some time in the parking lot asking other feeder drivers what they know about the openings. If it still looks good then it may be worth your while to see if one of those drivers would give you the feeder managers name and phone number. Then call the guy, let him know you are applying for one of the two permanent positions and see if he will meet with you. That would quickly give you an idea of what their intentions are. If there is an opportunity for you then the phone call would give the feeder manager a positive first impression about you.

Just my opinion without knowing more about the contract language for the area you are applying for.

trickpony1

Tie,
Why can't this guy just write a letter and address it to "Feeder Manager" at the address of the hub?
In this letter "carhauler" could express his concerns, ask questions, perhaps request a meeting with the manager and, while he's at it, suck up with some, "....I've always heard what a good company.....".

I agree with your previous post completely. Good job.