Feeder Driver Opening Need Advice

CD0314

I am currently in part time preload and I air drive on Saturdays (mostly for the benefits, I have a seasonal business) and was offered to go to feeder driver school to move into that full time. The pay would be more stable than being self employed, but I know a newer package driver turned the opportunity down and I'm not sure why he'd do that if it's a good job to have. I'm just curious opinions on if it would be a good option or if it would be better to wait it out to get a full time package driver position?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
It’s personal preference. Your driver buddy probably has been in package for a while and he’s comfortable with the job. The pay rate is the same between package and feeder so there isn’t much of an incentive for him to move. If I were you, I’d give it a shot.

currahee

If you have chance to go to Feeders do it. My quality of life is so much better now. Body doesnt hurt , less harrassment, and more family time. Dont miss this chance . You wont regret it. 30 years in and out of pkg car is hell on the body.

Johney

The pay rate is the same between package and feeder
Maybe where you are, but for most parts it's .10 cents more an hour and .45 cents more for pulling doubles and I'm not sure about triples although it has been mentioned .75 cents more?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Maybe where you are, but for most parts it's .10 cents more an hour and .45 cents more for pulling doubles and I'm not sure about triples although it has been mentioned .75 cents more?
You and I are either at the same hub or close to each other.

Johney

I didn’t account for pulling doubles, that’s my bad.
And .10 more in general. So if you're pulling a set we are making .55 more than a package car driver. Unless they are pulling a TP60 then they make.10 more than regular package.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Here’s the best reason to go straight into feeder.....no progression. You go straight to top scale since there is no progression language for feeder.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Here’s the best reason to go straight into feeder.....no progression. You go straight to top scale since there is no progression language for feeder.

That is absolutely wrong for my area. Pay is the same as package throughout progression.

There is also a mileage progression in the master...they were nice enough to extend it to 4 years from 3 in our last contract. #winning

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I am currently in part time preload and I air drive on Saturdays (mostly for the benefits, I have a seasonal business) and was offered to go to feeder driver school to move into that full time. The pay would be more stable than being self employed, but I know a newer package driver turned the opportunity down and I'm not sure why he'd do that if it's a good job to have. I'm just curious opinions on if it would be a good option or if it would be better to wait it out to get a full time package driver position?
As a package car driver, I will tell you this, most from package that transfer never come back.

One other benefit of going right into feeders is gaining senority and keeping it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
One other benefit of going right into feeders is gaining senority and keeping it.

Here you can only gain seniority by winning a bid. If there were 300 seniority drivers and they had 301 bids then one person from the Q (qualified) list would have the opportunity to get seniority on the last, unfilled bid. If no one wants it the bottom Q list driver would be forced to take the run and gain seniority.

We have a handful of drivers who stay on the Q list so they can't be forced onto junk 4 day runs. I have done that and probably make more $$ than 85% of drivers on bid runs and can take any day off I choose.

Of course I have to flip days and nights and live with occasional 3-4 day weeks when I would rather be working 5 days. I also have to have my phone handy most of the time so I'm not skipped over for work. This life isn't for everyone!