Feeder tractors?

Brown Now

I've been seeing a lot of new UPS Freight tractors being driven around by our feeder drivers. Does anyone know why? I've also been seeing new International feeder tractors. Has anyone driven one and what's the feedback?

over9five

Staff member
Is it just a temporary thing? Do they go back to Freight when done, or are they being kept until after peak?
They come to us brand new. Last year they went to Freight after Peak, my guess is this year will be the same.
We need these tractors bad, we don't have enough at my hub.

Brown Now

PS, the UPS Freight Freightliners are soooooo much better than our Kenworths.
I had a 680 KW for about 6 months. I really liked it. So much more refined than the 660s. The 660s are rattle traps and have absolutely no power. I drove my 680 in manual mode exclusively. It was too slow in auto mode. I also never drove it in 10th. It pulled better and got better fuel economy in 9th. Back in a 2013 Mack Pinnacle for this bid. The design is starting to get old. Inside and out.

over9five

Staff member
I had a 680 KW for about 6 months. I really liked it. So much more refined than the 660s. The 660s are rattle traps and have absolutely no power. I drove my 680 in manual mode exclusively. It was too slow in auto mode. I also never drove it in 10th. It pulled better and got better fuel economy in 9th. Back in a 2013 Mack Pinnacle for this bid. The design is starting to get old. Inside and out.

Lol, my assigned tractor is a KW. I would call it GD dangerous in auto mode! The delay from when you push the accelerator to when it actually starts to move is gonna get someone hurt someday.The Freightliners are awesome, they take right off.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The 278 auto Macks shift pretty nice too. You've got to figure it's basically the Volvo iDrive transmission.

The iShift Mack's are my favorite... personally, I like them more than the new Kenworth's.

As far a pulling, the new UPS Frieght Volvo's we used last year during peak would out pull anything we have and it wasnt even close. They also seemed to do as well or better in fuel than anything we currently have.

raceanoncr

We just got some new ones here, too. Pretty sweet

jacktra.jpg

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They come to us brand new. Last year they went to Freight after Peak, my guess is this year will be the same.
We need these tractors bad, we don't have enough at my hub.
Rigs are pretty much running for 24 hours straight ...guys are waiting an hour for them to come in... They get fueled and washed and immediately go back out again.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Lol, my assigned tractor is a KW. I would call it GD dangerous in auto mode! The delay from when you push the accelerator to when it actually starts to move is gonna get someone hurt someday.The Freightliners are awesome, they take right off.
Especially getting under a trailer... Damn near got whiplash one time and another time thought I hit the kingpin so hard sounded like I broke it off..lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Some of the newer rigs have buttons that I have no idea what they do... These new tractors seem futuristic compared to the 266 series rigs that I get stuck with...

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I've seen new twin screw Internationals that are branded for us, and not Freight. Diesels.