Feeders finally

paidover95

congrats.i got my cdl 3 years ago.had to wait 2 years to get into the feeder dept.i finally get in ,did a year and they cut my job.so i was forced back into the package hell.im hoping to go back soon!

trickpony1

Who is moving or deleting them? Good info in that Calhoun lawsuit for all feeder drivers.

A frequent reader of this forum might wonder why some more pronounced posters on this forum are suddenly silenced.
#1- some guy from england, whom I thought got screwed royally, suddenly silenced but has since reappeared.
#2- a female poster and her husband (who had problems with the company) suddenly silenced. You probably know who I am referring to.

Hondo's post does not bolster the esprit de corps of the company and I am surprised the "corporate monitors" aren't on the phone making cheryl a deal she can't refuse.

The supervisors in the calhoun issue obviously have not seen or been involved in some of the things I have seen/heard in 25 years of feeders. I will elaborate if you would like.......

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I would be interested in seeing how quickly hondo's post (#17) disappears from this forum

That was very infomative. Hope it stays, was a very good read.

over9five

Staff member
A frequent reader of this forum might wonder why some more pronounced posters on this forum are suddenly silenced.
#1- some guy from england, whom I thought got screwed royally, suddenly silenced but has since reappeared.
#2- a female poster and her husband (who had problems with the company) suddenly silenced. You probably know who I am referring to.

I don't get it, Trick. We can't force people to post. Maybe they got bored..

Hondo's post does not bolster the esprit de corps of the company and I am surprised the "corporate monitors" aren't on the phone making cheryl a deal she can't refuse.

I don't think Cheryl makes deals. I do think she has been called and threatened with legal action because of some dumb posts in the forum.

The supervisors in the calhoun issue obviously have not seen or been involved in some of the things I have seen/heard in 25 years of feeders. I will elaborate if you would like.......

Knock yourself out.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

I like controversy, pm me the details of all the above things you posted. Better yet, since it's all public info, post em in a new thread. Here's a good thread title. The Missing!....Where have all the posters gone?...So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye.

ol'browneye

I will have 22 years pkg car in March. I missed out on the feeder school last August by that much. I hear they will have another in spring since supposedly there a bunch of retirements coming. But that's what was said last summer and only 6 drivers were taken into feeders. Well I hope feeders is everything I hear it is.

I do have to ask some of you feeder drivers something, especially those that have gone in recently. Is riding in the tractors any easier on the back than riding in the pkg cars? I understand that you are not humping boxes all day long but you are definately sitting on your bum riding a lot longer time in one stretch, which, if you have ever had back problems can be just as bad. I'm shooting for feeders because I feel it will be easier on my body and will help me reach retirement in better health than staying in pkg car for 8 more years.

I also do not wish to hijack this thread so if anyone wants to pm me that would be great.

Good luck troublemaker and congratulations! I hope to join you in the big rigs soon!

trickpony1

ol browneye-
The tractors have air ride seats that "float" forwards and backwards, as well as up and down, to minimize the wear and tear on your body.
The tractors also have air ride cabs that absorb some of the shock.
In the old days there were "cab over" tractors. If you notice the driver sits almost directly above the steering axle. The shock goes straight up into the cab and driver. No air ride cab and the cab was firmly mounted to the chassis.

The new tractors are "conventionals". If you notice the driver sits 2-3 feet behind the steering axle thereby creating a "rocking chair" motion that minimizes the shock the driver absorbs.
I think you will enjoy the ride.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

feederrunner

feederrunner
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! i came into feeders 7 months ago from pkg's. I love coming to work again. I was the pkg driver who ran every day skipped lunches and brakes, just to see my kids before they went to bed, 8 hrs a day on average.[ The days still took for ever ] now 10-11-12+ hrs seem like less time in a feeder, no more running,no more looking over my shoulder. I now have pride in my job that i had taken away by pkg sup's looking for the all mity number. My family time has gotten better also, go to sleep right after work and get up when my wife and kids get home from work and school. And off to work when they go to sleep. work safe, and stay awake. you will be fine.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Enjoy the crappy shift schedule, 60 hours a week, sleeping durning the day, no exercise, and even less time with your family.

:]

In my three years in feeders I have worked sixty hour weeks only a handful of times, I average between 40 to 50 with 45 being the norm. Crappy shifts? If you mean working nights, yes it is rough but in our local we pick our jobs for one year only so you are not stuck on a particular route forever. Or you can be a spare and have a wide variety of shifts to cover over the year. As for family time I see them as much now as I did before. One really cannot blame feeders for not being able to exercise, thats just a convenient excuse I use :funny:.

Is riding in the tractors any easier on the back than riding in the pkg cars?

As a fellow sufferer of package driving induced back injury and pain, I have to say the tractors are quite comfortable. If anything, my ass is what hurts sometimes after two plus hours in the saddle. The only time I feel any back pain is occasionally after handling the dollies. Even using the proper lifting procedures and trying to minimize having to muscle those things around I sometimes feel sore.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Feeders is the real UPS. I don't even consider it work, just me going through the motions to collect my paycheck. For me it has been no more aching body from all that ridiculous monkey slaving in and out of the package car all day. And no more day work wasting my life away during the week and having to play "catch up" on the weekends to get things done or having to burn personal days to be able to get things done during the week.

Actually there is a long list of things that are "no more" once you start living the feeder good life. And what a refreshing change it is!!!

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! i came into feeders 7 months ago from pkg's. I love coming to work again. I was the pkg driver who ran every day skipped lunches and brakes, just to see my kids before they went to bed, 8 hrs a day on average.[ The days still took for ever ] now 10-11-12+ hrs seem like less time in a feeder, no more running,no more looking over my shoulder. I now have pride in my job that i had taken away by pkg sup's looking for the all mity number. My family time has gotten better also, go to sleep right after work and get up when my wife and kids get home from work and school. And off to work when they go to sleep. work safe, and stay awake. you will be fine.
Yupp driver........you have put the "nightwork myth" to rest. Work nights and you will see your family more.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have to disagree. Feeder dept is NOT the real UPS, the real UPS is package.Reason being is that the package leg of this company existed long before feeders were even needed. You could be correct if you said Feeders is the Fantasy UPS.

Uh Oh, here we go again.

Sammie

I have to disagree. Feeder dept is NOT the real UPS, the real UPS is package.Reason being is that the package leg of this company existed long before feeders were even needed. You could be correct if you said Feeders is the Fantasy UPS.

Yup! Driving 400-500 miles a day, chaining doubles, hooking up
a 1000 lb trailer dolly, all Fantasy Fudge!

Congrat Trouble Maker! It's quite a life out there. I'll share a recent feeder
story with you. My husband has a run from Denver to Wyoming. During the
holidays he experienced a ground blizzard that he could see above as he
was sitting high up in the tractor, but regular cars down below were blinded by it. A Prius lost it's sense of direction in this white out and veered over into his lane. He missed it by inches. The Prius continued to spin out of control and landed in a ditch. He pulled over and stopped to make sure the occupants were O.K. The driver of the Prius was ready to Bit** him out, even tho she ended up in his lane, but when they walked over to each other, brother met sister. Crazy Prius driver was his sister from Calif on her way to spend Xmas with us. :surprised:
BrotherSister.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yup! Driving 400-500 miles a day, chaining doubles, hooking up
a 1000 lb trailer dolly, all Fantasy Fudge!

Congrat Trouble Maker! It's quite a life out there. I'll share a recent feeder
story with you. My husband has a run from Denver to Wyoming. During the
holidays he experienced a ground blizzard that he could see above as he
was sitting high up in the tractor, but regular cars down below were blinded by it. A Prius lost it's sense of direction in this white out and veered over into his lane. He missed it by inches. The Prius continued to spin out of control and landed in a ditch. He pulled over and stopped to make sure the occupants were O.K. The driver of the Prius was ready to Bit** him out, even tho she ended up in his lane, but when they walked over to each other, brother met sister. Crazy Prius driver was his sister from Calif on her way to spend Xmas with us. :surprised:

Now that's a story I like to hear. Thank God all ended up safe.