Feeders Pre trip

trickpony1

I'm glad they are making it harder. The physical is tougher too. And I just learned to renew you have to show birth certificate or passport and proof of residency for your state.

Yup.
They are making it harder to get, and keep, a CDL.
A friend commented that a CDL is, "....like gold".

I sometimes wonder how the folks from south of the Rio Grande get their CDL.

barnyard

KTM rider
The supe that I did my productive week with gave me his study sheet for pretrips. Feeder supes have to do a timed pretrip frequently. He gave me the script that he uses and I read that before I start a week of feeders. Helps me do a good pretrip and avoid mistakes.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The supe that I did my productive week with gave me his study sheet for pretrips. Feeder supes have to do a timed pretrip frequently. He gave me the script that he uses and I read that before I start a week of feeders. Helps me do a good pretrip and avoid mistakes.
They don't get much time to do it and my sup sounded like he was speed talking through the whole thing... it was almost memorized word for word...just for the sake that it could be done

barnyard

KTM rider
They don't get much time to do it and my sup sounded like he was speed talking through the whole thing... it was almost memorized word for word...just for the sake that it could be done

I agree. The script that he memorized is very thorough. I do not memorize it, but reading it before I start a week is a very good refresher. Last Friday was the 1st feeder work I have done since last fall and I am pretty sure that I will not do any more feeder work for another month.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I had my OJS rides in feeders, the sups always told me as long as I hit everything on the list, it was fine with them if it wasn't in the exact order on the sheet. I remember in feeder school they were a little tougher.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I agree. The script that he memorized is very thorough. I do not memorize it, but reading it before I start a week is a very good refresher. Last Friday was the 1st feeder work I have done since last fall and I am pretty sure that I will not do any more feeder work for another month.
So it sounds like you will retire before you get any kind of full time feeder bid.... thAt really sucks. Here they are hiring guys with 1 or 2 years in pkg... they aren't even At top rate yet.... crazy

Cementups

Box Monkey
So it sounds like you will retire before you get any kind of full time feeder bid.... thAt really sucks. Here they are hiring guys with 1 or 2 years in pkg... they aren't even At top rate yet.... crazy

We have guys that come in as part time loaders, put there name on the list for feeders a couple weeks later and are pulled out shortly after that. Don't even have their 30 days in with the company.

barnyard

KTM rider

This summer, I will have 17 years FT seniority. My building has 4 feeder jobs. 1 will retire in a year or 2, the other 3 will all retire about the same time I do. I will never have a FT feeder gig. Best I can hope for is being #1 on the cover board and work 1/2 the year covering vacations.

When I started, my building had 8 or 9 feeder jobs.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This summer, I will have 17 years FT seniority. My building has 4 feeder jobs. 1 will retire in a year or 2, the other 3 will all retire about the same time I do. I will never have a FT feeder gig. Best I can hope for is being #1 on the cover board and work 1/2 the year covering vacations.

When I started, my building had 8 or 9 feeder jobs.
Maybe they need to put in a few sleeper runs in....problem solved!

barnyard

KTM rider
So now they just roll through???

Yep and if anything happens, they die on the law. There is a driver that pulls into our lot kind of regularly that runs out of hours. He parks in our lot, calls a taxi to a motel and is back after his rest period. He is parking at 8:30, so I assume his start time is 18:30 or close to that.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yep and if anything happens, they die on the law. There is a driver that pulls into our lot kind of regularly that runs out of hours. He parks in our lot, calls a taxi to a motel and is back after his rest period. He is parking at 8:30, so I assume his start time is 18:30 or close to that.
So they would rather have late loads than have another feeder guy??