Fellow driver got a DUI

RoBo

UPS robot no more
It's not your problem.
Don't tell on him.
The Union could bring you up on charges if you do.
Never listen to UpState.

Your buddy will be fired, and it will stick, if UPS ever finds out about this.
His only hope is that they never find out and he prevails in court.
If he doesn't have his license, he is breaking the law to the maximum extent driving a UPS truck.
Your buddy has a bag full of problems.

Thanks Bubblehead. Your words are sinking into my head. I have co dependent tendencies (father drank himself to death) and the mere fact that I started this thread points to my need to fix things. Well you know what, I didn't pour alcohol down his throat and my guess is if you get caught for a first time dui, it was because it was the first time you were caught!

I'm going to enjoy my weekend, and be happy that my family and I don't have to deal with the horrible consequences of out of control drinking.

RoBo

UPS robot no more
Thanks Bubblehead. Your words are sinking into my head. I have co dependent tendencies (father drank himself to death) and the mere fact that I started this thread points to my need to fix things. Well you know what, I didn't pour alcohol down his throat and my guess is if you get caught for a first time dui, it was because it was the first time you were caught!

I'm going to enjoy my weekend, and be happy that my family and I don't have to deal with the horrible consequences of out of control drinking.

That is unless some drunk on the road forces us to deal with it. Knocking on wood rt now...

barnyard

KTM rider
I was referring to staying away from the whole matter not because of the contract/union situation, but from the veiwpoint of staying away from an addict/addicted personality. Someone with a drinking problem could potentially try to say, "I was following the advice of so and so, it is not my fault."

That is the crapstorm I would walk away from. It is very easy for me to say that though, I have 23 years of sobriety and can easily walk away from the alcoholic that still suffers. Some cannot and get sucked into the drama. I say, avoid the suckage.

RoBo

UPS robot no more
and there we go......

That is what I was referring to.

Thank you too, Barnyard and congrats on the 23 years. I'm not going to provide any advise to him, he is a grown man. From this point, I will listen as a friend but I know all to well the "avoid the suckage" statement you made. Very poignant for me.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
First of all--welcome back. I missed you.

Second--what are the obligations, if any, of a fellow employee who has knowledge of the DUI and the failure to report?

None.

There are two distinct issues here.

If I see an obviously intoxicated person about to operate a motor vehicle, I have a moral obligation to the public at large to prevent that dangerous criminal behavior by any means necessary, including the use of force if the police will not arrive in time.

I have no such obligation to report a fellow employees legal issues to UPS management. Unless he/she reports to work intoxicated, their pending legal situation in regards to their license is solely between them and management and therefore none of my business.

soberups

No we are not obliged to tell on our co-worker, as well, we forbidden to bring reproach on a fellow Teamster.

This does not, however, require us to ignore criminal behavior.

If I saw an obviously intoxicated co-worker about to get into a package car, I would stop him from doing so. I would first "suggest" to him that he report sick, call a cab, and leave the premises immediately, but if he insisted upon trying to drive I would report his behavior to management if and only if that was the only way I could protect the safety of the public.

soberups

I was referring to staying away from the whole matter not because of the contract/union situation, but from the veiwpoint of staying away from an addict/addicted personality. Someone with a drinking problem could potentially try to say, "I was following the advice of so and so, it is not my fault."

That is the crapstorm I would walk away from. It is very easy for me to say that though, I have 23 years of sobriety and can easily walk away from the alcoholic that still suffers. Some cannot and get sucked into the drama. I say, avoid the suckage.

You cant help them if they dont want the help.

Sometimes, jail and loss of job is the bottom that they need to hit in order to become willing.

Others will never stop drinking until it kills them. That is the nature of the disease.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have seen people get arrested, get picked up in jail, out in an hour. If they did not take his license, then he was fine, IMO. Some go to court within a day, and then surrender the license. After all he has only been charged, not convicted at that point.

CAFAL

We had a guy last year get one on a friday night. He didn't report it until mon night after work. This is major. He almost lost his job over not reporting sooner. Your friend will have to endure whatever the company policy is. This guy is still enduring mandatory counseling and random before work drug testing and breathilizer tests. He gets a call to report for a test an hour before and starts whenever he is finished. This could be the best thing for your friend if he has a problem.

DS

Fenderbender
Here's my take on this.
In Canada,if you get an impaired,you lose your licence on the spot.
You don't get to drive again until the court decides your penalty.
It would not surprise me if the OP was the friend.

oldupsman

He's toast.
His only hope now is to never tell them and to beat the DUI in court so it doesn't show up on his annual certification.
I actually had that happen once in my center. Guy got a DUI, never told a soul. Was trying to beat it in court before UPS found out.
Drove a package car for 3 months with no license until he got caught
on his annual certification. There's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I ride my bicycle to the local watering hole. That way, when I drive, the only one I can injure is myself.
Just a general FYI.. you can still get a DUI on a bike. Or even a horse. Source: All the DUI classes I had to take after I got popped last year. Never again. Cabs or I walk home if I've had a drop.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Since there seems to be so much uncertainty on this subject, let me clear some things up.

If you are arrested and/or charged with DUI, you have to report it to the company before your next punch. Period.

There are plenty cases and decisions from the National Level. I've dealt with it numerous times. And I mean numerous.

People that follow the contractual procedure, still work for the company. People that think they can get around it, don't.

The biggest misconception is "I've only been charged".... "Not convicted". Doesn't matter.

Or "My lawyer told me he can get it reduced to a lesser charge". Again.... Doesn't matter.

Or, maybe the company won't find out. Good luck with that one.

You have to report it to the company.... Even if you still have your license "in hand".

Once you report it, you are referred to a SAP (Substance Abuse Professional) who makes an evaluation and recommendation for treatment.

After completing the program, before you return to work, You meet with the company, MRO (Medical Review Officer), and your business agent.

On a conference call, the terms of your return are explained.... and are all on paper. Everyone has to sign off on it.

I've seen people, that have had no need for treatment.

Others, have been committed {for lack of a better word} to "confined" detox.

It is a "one time.... lifetime" opportunity. If you get cute with it.... You will get the chance to pursue another career path.

This is nothing new.... It's the same way in freight. The DOT rules apply on this one.

It happens. Just be smart.... in how you handle it.

-Bug-

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Also, anyone in a vehicle which has to adhere to rules of the road, include horse and buggy, and bicyclists. Ask the amish, or do a search.
And if you walk home and you are staggering, public intox. Drink at home peeps or have a dd.