Fellow driver got a DUI

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Also, anyone in a vehicle which has to adhere to rules of the road, include horse and buggy, and bicyclists. Ask the amish, or do a search. And if you walk home and you are staggering, public intox. Drink at home peeps or have a dd.

We have had people here get DUI's on golf carts, tractors and riding lawn mowers.

Johney

Since there seems to be so much uncertainty on this subject, let me clear some things up.

If you are arrested and/or charged with DUI, you have to report it to the company before your next punch. Period.

There are plenty cases and decisions from the National Level. I've dealt with it numerous times. And I mean numerous.

People that follow the contractual procedure, still work for the company. People that think they can get around it, don't.

The biggest misconception is "I've only been charged".... "Not convicted". Doesn't matter.

Or "My lawyer told me he can get it reduced to a lesser charge". Again.... Doesn't matter.

Or, maybe the company won't find out. Good luck with that one.

You have to report it to the company.... Even if you still have your license "in hand".

Once you report it, you are referred to a SAP (Substance Abuse Professional) who makes an evaluation and recommendation for treatment.

After completing the program, before you return to work, You meet with the company, MRO (Medical Review Officer), and your business agent.

On a conference call, the terms of your return are explained.... and are all on paper. Everyone has to sign off on it.

I've seen people, that have had no need for treatment.

Others, have been committed {for lack of a better word} to "confined" detox.

It is a "one time.... lifetime" opportunity. If you get cute with it.... You will get the chance to pursue another career path.

This is nothing new.... It's the same way in freight. The DOT rules apply on this one.

It happens. Just be smart.... in how you handle it.

-Bug-
This is how it is handled in our building. While most of the time a lot of incidents and problem are handled differently from building to building(we can all see that by the different responses to things asked across this board)Now what BUG posted I would think is the same company wide.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Since there seems to be so much uncertainty on this subject, let me clear some things up. If you are arrested and/or charged with DUI, you have to report it to the company before your next punch. Period. There are plenty cases and decisions from the National Level. I've dealt with it numerous times. And I mean numerous. People that follow the contractual procedure, still work for the company. People that think they can get around it, don't. The biggest misconception is "I've only been charged".... "Not convicted". Doesn't matter. Or "My lawyer told me he can get it reduced to a lesser charge". Again.... Doesn't matter. Or, maybe the company won't find out. Good luck with that one. You have to report it to the company.... Even if you still have your license "in hand". Once you report it, you are referred to a SAP (Substance Abuse Professional) who makes an evaluation and recommendation for treatment. After completing the program, before you return to work, You meet with the company, MRO (Medical Review Officer), and your business agent. On a conference call, the terms of your return are explained.... and are all on paper. Everyone has to sign off on it. I've seen people, that have had no need for treatment. Others, have been committed {for lack of a better word} to "confined" detox. It is a "one time.... lifetime" opportunity. If you get cute with it.... You will get the chance to pursue another career path. This is nothing new.... It's the same way in freight. The DOT rules apply on this one. It happens. Just be smart.... in how you handle it. -Bug-
Also, speaking from experience, it is extremely difficult to beat a DUI charge. The only way to beat it is if the officer completely messes up something procedural.. I went through a checkpoint in 2011 (was not pulled over for weaving/etc.), refused a sobriety test/refused breathalyzer and the local magistrate signed off on a search warrant for my blood (that ended up costing me $600+ at trial). Simply put: unless you can prove you weren't driving at the time you were charged, you ain't gonna get out of it. So if you're a driver, go ahead and face the music before 24 hrs is up.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Since there seems to be so much uncertainty on this subject, let me clear some things up.

If you are arrested and/or charged with DUI, you have to report it to the company before your next punch. Period.

There are plenty cases and decisions from the National Level. I've dealt with it numerous times. And I mean numerous.

People that follow the contractual procedure, still work for the company. People that think they can get around it, don't.

The biggest misconception is "I've only been charged".... "Not convicted". Doesn't matter.

Or "My lawyer told me he can get it reduced to a lesser charge". Again.... Doesn't matter.

Or, maybe the company won't find out. Good luck with that one.

You have to report it to the company.... Even if you still have your license "in hand".

Once you report it, you are referred to a SAP (Substance Abuse Professional) who makes an evaluation and recommendation for treatment.

After completing the program, before you return to work, You meet with the company, MRO (Medical Review Officer), and your business agent.

On a conference call, the terms of your return are explained.... and are all on paper. Everyone has to sign off on it.

I've seen people, that have had no need for treatment.

Others, have been committed {for lack of a better word} to "confined" detox.

It is a "one time.... lifetime" opportunity. If you get cute with it.... You will get the chance to pursue another career path.

This is nothing new.... It's the same way in freight. The DOT rules apply on this one.

It happens. Just be smart.... in how you handle it.

-Bug-

Also, speaking from experience, it is extremely difficult to beat a DUI charge. The only way to beat it is if the officer completely messes up something procedural.. I went through a checkpoint in 2011 (was not pulled over for weaving/etc.), refused a sobriety test/refused breathalyzer and the local magistrate signed off on a search warrant for my blood (that ended up costing me $600+ at trial). Simply put: unless you can prove you weren't driving at the time you were charged, you ain't gonna get out of it. So if you're a driver, go ahead and face the music before 24 hrs is up.
Yes and Yes. If you want any chance of saving your job, own up to it and plead for mercy. Trying to hide it is only going to cost you your job.