Female Sorters

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I find myself working exhaustively in order to try and prove to all my co-workers (which are all men) that I can sort just as well as they can. Just here looking for some conversation with sorters/female sorters. Or other female UPSers
I want you to so i have to do less work

Nah
Nope. Sups work every day in our hub after they send the "workers" home. It's normal practice - the steward knows it goes on, the union knows it goes on, and nothing gets done about it. Already ran that flag up the flag pole and had my hand slapped. Me, personally, I stay out of the politics now. I come in, bust my ass, collect my check, and go home.

I feel sorry for you, that you have such a weak local and spineless co-workers. I would be raising all sorts of hell with the union if I had to deal with that. Fortunately, I don't. In a right to work state, of all places, I have a local union that says grieve all work by supervisors even if it's just one minute.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I feel sorry for you, that you have such a weak local and spineless co-workers. I would be raising all sorts of hell with the union if I had to deal with that. Fortunately, I don't. In a right to work state, of all places, I have a local union that says grieve all work by supervisors even if it's just one minute.
it is better to do it after the supervisor hurts themselves

Justaloader

I hope it is not you

Nope. I'm a happily married man. Only woman I make any kind of off color comments or sexual innuendos to is my wife. At work - I treat all my co-workers the same. Granted, I am I guy, and I can't help thoughts that come and go through my mind - but I can control weither or not I voice said thoughts. It would behoove a lot of my fellow co-workers to learn that same control, but I digress.

Justaloader

There are more than enough threads about this battle. Bottom line - live and let live. If I drop dead tomorrow, not a :censored2:ing soul in this place will care, except HR that now has to take the time to hire someone to replace me. That said, I worry about me, myself, and I. I go in, do my job to the best of my ability, and go home. Nothing more, nothing less.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I'm personal friends with my supervisor, so yes, in the beginning I felt as though I got preferential treatment...but not anymore. I still just want to show that I can sort and lift heavy :censored2: and prove that women can do the job just as well.

It’s just a job

Nah
There are more than enough threads about this battle. Bottom line - live and let live. If I drop dead tomorrow, not a :censored2:ing soul in this place will care, except HR that now has to take the time to hire someone to replace me. That said, I worry about me, myself, and I. I go in, do my job to the best of my ability, and go home. Nothing more, nothing less.

I doubt they would replace you. In 4 1/2 years at UPS, everytime someone leaves I see them try to carry on as long as possible without hiring someone. Sometimes they get away with it.

Justaloader

I doubt they would replace you. In 4 1/2 years at UPS, everytime someone leaves I see them try to carry on as long as possible without hiring someone. Sometimes they get away with it.

Agreed - but then again, we already run with minimum overhead in this hub. Before peak started, we were promised two loaders per trailer, with a guy up at the top of the roller line breaking jams to keep everything moving. What a crock of :censored2:. Right now we have 8 doors in my "PD", which is the heaviest PD in the building (by heaviest, I mean we handle the most volume) - 8 loaders (two of which only work in one door). You do the math. The sups jump in and help us out when we are completely over-run with packages. I agree with filing grievences and whatnot, but I also agree in not biting a helping hand. Of course that brings up the topic of them hiring more more staff, yadda yadda. I've already had this convo countless times. Things will never change - they'll run with minimum overhead, and do what they "want" to do instead of what they "should" do, all the while our steward and BA claim "we've never seen hourlies sent home and sups stay and work" - as there was literally a sup working right next to the steward on the air wall line loading trailers. I digress.

Nah
Agreed - but then again, we already run with minimum overhead in this hub. Before peak started, we were promised two loaders per trailer, with a guy up at the top of the roller line breaking jams to keep everything moving. What a crock of :censored2:. Right now we have 8 doors in my "PD", which is the heaviest PD in the building (by heaviest, I mean we handle the most volume) - 8 loaders (two of which only work in one door). You do the math. The sups jump in and help us out when we are completely over-run with packages. I agree with filing grievences and whatnot, but I also agree in not biting a helping hand. Of course that brings up the topic of them hiring more more staff, yadda yadda. I've already had this convo countless times. Things will never change - they'll run with minimum overhead, and do what they "want" to do instead of what they "should" do, all the while our steward and BA claim "we've never seen hourlies sent home and sups stay and work" - as there was literally a sup working right next to the steward on the air wall line loading trailers. I digress.

Obviously if your local union is impotent, then what I have to say is meaningless. But regarding their promises of more people, just remember that's the whole reason we can grieve supervisors for working. That clause in the contract is suppose to force UPS to adequately staff their operation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

True, but I'm only a seasonal hire...so I wanna bust my ass so that I get a positive rehire status so that I can work year-round

I would think your "friend" could get you a positive rehire with no problem.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

You have the perfect attitude for this place and I also hope that you get not only a positive rehire but, more importantly, the respect of your co-workers.

Indecisi0n

From one woman to another, and as someone who has worked with mostly men for many years, yes, you do have to prove yourself or they will never respect you. They will think you got where you are because of who you know. If your body hurts, take Aleve/Advil. Don’t be THAT woman the guys think will run to HR after the first off-color joke. Yes, you do need to establish boundaries but I’ve found things go over a lot easier with humor. It’s great working around guys. I prefer it much more than working with women. Guys are more fun.
Guys are def fun .

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I find myself working exhaustively in order to try and prove to all my co-workers (which are all men) that I can sort just as well as they can. Just here looking for some conversation with sorters/female sorters. Or other female UPSers
No one is paid more for being a hero..and at UPS, it's usually the men that are lazy.You'll make it