Finally Experienced PAS/EDD

bokitch

Our center, among many other centers in the area, has been slowly fazing PAS/EDD into our Preload. I recently had my first taste of it on road. So far at the end of each day most of the drivers here, including myself, end up wondering what the hell happened while the IE guys were relooping our center. One thing I've noticed already is that EDD seems to have many drivers running "figure eights" through a route when it would be wiser to run stops down one side and come back throught the other. Common sense would dictate that but instead I'm supposed to zig zag around and through areas to get to others and the end result is struggling to get businesses and schools off before they close. I could go on and on about why I don't like EDD, so far, but anyone that's been comming to this site long enough has already heard it from someone else before. I just thought I'd put my two cents out on it. And one more thing....I've had plenty of customers complain about "our new system" too. LOL!
where are you located ?

#1angelfan

"It gets better??? We had PAS/EDD for almost 4 years hasn't got better yet."

I didn't think it would ever get better either. Then I got a preloader who is a professional. This guy is amazing.

Remember: The "P" in PAS is for Preload. PAS assists the PRELOAD. It does not assist the driver.

Your only hope at success is to get an awesome preloader. With PAS, your preloader HAS to be incredible. An average preloader will suck, AND a sucky preloader will REALLY SUCK.

(Can I say "suck"?)
make sure you take care of your preloader if you already don't. it is nice to get a tip at the end of the year if you have done a good job.:thumbup1:

Upslady20

In my building most of us like the new PAS/edd system. When it first went in a couple of years ago it required somemore fixing on the trace but most routes are pretty good. When I switched routes in March there was a large chunk of the route that was horrible. No one took into consideration that there were canals splitting up all of the roads and you could not just start at one end and keep going. The driver that had it before just resorted all of that section of about 50 stops. Not me I got with the dispatch person and gave her all of the streets in the order they needed to be put in. The two swing drivers that cover for me both came up and thanked me for ending the nightmare out there. I could have left it alone and did it the way it was set up but capitalizing on others stupididty is not worth my time. Great money yes but not worth it.

C

Cali

If you have complaints about EDD, it is easy to fix if you take the time. I have tuned and fine-tuned my load so often,and it runs fairly well now. The only thing that screws it up is management when they give me extra stops and they give me only 2 stops of some area that is 5 miles out of the way. (OK, maybe 2 miles) I got tired of talking to management about that so I just do it and get my extra money.

Upslady20

I guess that is why we have a large generator on standby at our building.:thumbup1:That or we are ready for the next hurricane.:ohmy:

Upslady20

I really do believe that if the drivers work with the dispatch supervisor or whoever works on the trace in your building you can make the new system run pretty smooth. You have to work with them to get the kinks out. Yes the ones imputting the information did not do a great job but some drivers refused to really give them good information. Now they realize it would have been easier to really give them the input they needed. If your route is really messed up you need to take the time and get it fixed. No that does nothing for the packages not being in your car and in someone elses but it does help the situation.

W

westsideworma

It is. Just ask your center manager:)

exactly, I guarantee it is the only building that is Most Help Needed or Least Best.....except for every other center/hub at UPS apparently, which is something special...not to mention impossible :cool:

gloom and doom...its the latest trend haha:wink:

I really do believe that if the drivers work with the dispatch supervisor or whoever works on the trace in your building you can make the new system run pretty smooth. You have to work with them to get the kinks out. Yes the ones imputting the information did not do a great job but some drivers refused to really give them good information. Now they realize it would have been easier to really give them the input they needed. If your route is really messed up you need to take the time and get it fixed. No that does nothing for the packages not being in your car and in someone elses but it does help the situation.

All you need is a printout of the dol. Take about 30 min. to put it in order. I did it on dozens of route in my old center.

upsgrunt

All you need is a printout of the dol. Take about 30 min. to put it in order. I did it on dozens of route in my old center.

How do the drivers that have the bid on the routes YOU changed feel about you changing them. It is their bid route; it is up to them to change them if they want them changed. Some drivers I know, including me, would be P.O.ed if a coverage driver changed a route the way THEY wanted it.

How do the drivers that have the bid on the routes YOU changed feel about you changing them. It is their bid route; it is up to them to change them if they want them changed. Some drivers I know, including me, would be P.O.ed if a coverage driver changed a route the way THEY wanted it.

I started the dol of most of the routes, then tweeked them as I did them. The bid driver doesn't own the route. I don't know of any that really cared. As long as the changes made sense. 3 of the routes I was the bid driver.

Overpaid Union Thug

I am one of those senior lazy rural drivers you are talking about when it comes to NDA. Our start time is 9:20. We get out of the buliding around 9:45 if it is a good day. I run anywhere from 270 to 350 miles a day and and am supposed to bring the air in every night from the other drivers up in that area. The NDA stops I pass "on my way out of town" can take up to an hour and 1/2. It is impossible to stay in town so long and get back in with the air. The solution here is air drivers. I am not for loading up the in town drivers, but you need to understand I pass by 150 stops on my way OUT OF TOWN. I understand your frustration and now I hope you understand mine.

By the way, welcome to Pass/Edd. Over 3 years here and still a challenge everyday.

Our rural drivers can't use your excuse. We don't pull that late except during peak. Ours pull betwen 8:30 and 8:45. Even on heavy days when the rest of us pull at 9:00. So, there is no excuse. They are just used to doing what they want. In order for PAS/EDD to work one of the things that needs to be done is for drivers to just run what what EDD says. If something is late then it's the system's fault and not ours. But like I sad...that isn't the issue. The issue is that they are screwing over others. If EDD says the air is theirs then they should have to run it unless they have too much air and not just because they don't feel like it.

abbear

They are in the process of implementing pas in our center now and what a circus. Everything I've been led to understand is that communication on what a loop should look like taking place over the several months leading up to the launch is key. In our center that was cut to 10 minutes to tell the 10 drivers in my area what was happening to their routes. Never was any driver asked about how they ran their route. The first day we had EDD live I had the division mgr ride with me. She asked me if I had EDD. I said What? We had no instruction on even the very basics of the system. Not only that but a fair number of my regular streets weren't even in the diad - hand to hand key them all. I can see nice things about EDD but I just don't see the time savings that will allow us to complete and additional 20 - 40 stops per route (that is the increase we have seen projected so far).

After what - 4 years? - of implementing this system you'd think that they would have it down cold. My question is where is Eskew? Obviously he is either not in the loop or doesn't care. Quite frankly - if shareholders were aware of the way these installations are being screwed up they'd want blood! Way, way too much money being spent on reinventing the wheel.

And since I know someone will ask I do have some experience in this. I installed manufacturing systems (hardware+software) for a number of years. This in companies that had no computers. IBM system 34/36 and AS400 and MAPICS and Data3 software.

OH well. I will continue to do the best I can with the limited resources available to me.

dammor

Our rural drivers can't use your excuse. We don't pull that late except during peak. Ours pull betwen 8:30 and 8:45. Even on heavy days when the rest of us pull at 9:00. So, there is no excuse. They are just used to doing what they want. In order for PAS/EDD to work one of the things that needs to be done is for drivers to just run what what EDD says. If something is late then it's the system's fault and not ours. But like I sad...that isn't the issue. The issue is that they are screwing over others. If EDD says the air is theirs then they should have to run it unless they have too much air and not just because they don't feel like it.

You don't understand what I am trying to tell you Big Arrow. This is not a matter of making the commit times on the air. The problem here which you will never understand until you get an extended route is that we have a 300 miles to go before we return to the building. If we stay in town for an hour and 1/2 we are screwed before we hit the highway. The air and pickups have to be in at a certain time as you well know. We have no heip to make that happen like the in town drivers do. If you get in a bind in town there are probably 2 or 3 drivers within 3 miles from you. If I get in a bind the other drivers in my area at least 40 miles away. That means no help. The center is 100 miles from me. That means I am on my own and no help. Staying in town and helping you is not something I am inclined to do.
Could you break off and come help me?

As far as running what is in the PASS/EDD ,well if I did that I would be delivering the NDA when I returned to town and no doubt run 500 miles a day. You are new to the system and I will be interested to hear your comments in the future.

You will not understand the rural drivers until you have been on a rural route. We understand you because we have all delivered in town. When and if you stay long enough to get an extended run some youngster will say to you what you are saying to us.
Only then will you get a clue as to what I am talking about.

Overpaid Union Thug

You don't understand what I am trying to tell you Big Arrow. This is not a matter of making the commit times on the air. The problem here which you will never understand until you get an extended route is that we have a 300 miles to go before we return to the building. If we stay in town for an hour and 1/2 we are screwed before we hit the highway. The air and pickups have to be in at a certain time as you well know. We have no heip to make that happen like the in town drivers do. If you get in a bind in town there are probably 2 or 3 drivers within 3 miles from you. If I get in a bind the other drivers in my area at least 40 miles away. That means no help. The center is 100 miles from me. That means I am on my own and no help. Staying in town and helping you is not something I am inclined to do.
Could you break off and come help me?

As far as running what is in the PASS/EDD ,well if I did that I would be delivering the NDA when I returned to town and no doubt run 500 miles a day. You are new to the system and I will be interested to hear your comments in the future.

You will not understand the rural drivers until you have been on a rural route. We understand you because we have all delivered in town. When and if you stay long enough to get an extended run some youngster will say to you what you are saying to us.
Only then will you get a clue as to what I am talking about.

No, you didn't understand me. Pay special attention to
Our rural drivers can't use your excuse. We don't pull that late except during peak. Ours pull betwen 8:30 and 8:45. Even on heavy days when the rest of us pull at 9:00. So, there is no excuse. They are just used to doing what they want.
and you should understand that I was trying to tell you that our drivers don't have the same problem you have so they don't have a legit excuse to pass their air on to others. I fully understand how rural routes and extended routes and their pickups work. It doesn't take years of experience to grasp the concept or to graps why PAS/EDD doesn't work. The only problem should be that IE doens't listen to our input. When drivers refuse to run certain things simply because they don't feel like it then that just adds to the problem.