Fines on Ground

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I started at HD on the first day they started, and we had appointment deliveries from day 1. I had several evening deliveries that I had to wait 2 hours or more before the scheduled time. I finally started coming in later, like after 10 a.m. and the manager went nuts because he was supposed to be done with his report by 10 a.m. He called the regional manager in, and made a note in my 'file' saying I wasn't a 'team player' when I was supposed to be an independent contractor. After that, I was told that I could release scheduled deliveries to a neighbor with a signature. HD was scheduling deliveries as late as 8 p.m. but demanding that I be in the terminal by 8 am. Made no sense at all.
If you were a true independent contractor there wouldn't be any of this team player and be here by 8AM crap. The idea that this misclassification exists boggles the mind. That suckass manager of yours should be flipping burgers. What a joke.

zeev

Very enlightening years ago express use to purposely run lates in the summer by sending part timers home. The result would be an earnings surprise for the 1st fiscal quarter.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Very enlightening years ago express use to purposely run lates in the summer by sending part timers home. The result would be an earnings surprise for the 1st fiscal quarter.

Years ago? It was no secret that the goal during the latter portion of the 4th quarter was to jack up productivity. Was something they still did during my final 4thQ with the company.

CJinx

Did the driver, in his defense, argue that he was putting the customer first?
I believe the driver just did what his contractor told him to do and fell on the sword for him when the crap hit the fan. They could have just delivered it outside the window and taken the ding to service, but instead they falsified a delivery record... which caused a fight between the customer and Fedex when it came to getting refunded for a paid service which was not rendered as the delivery was entered as if it had occurred several hours later at his home.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I believe the driver just did what his contractor told him to do and fell on the sword for him when the crap hit the fan.

In any similar situation that I've had direct knowledge of, the courier usually justified his actions with the defense that he was "trying to do what's best for the customer." I always thought it was funny because those customer service concerns tended to crop up only when it was convenient for the courier.

DOK

A Ground driver told me that he gamed the system on the appointment deliveries. According to him, he would sheet attempts that were before the appointment time because he didn't want to be out any later than he had to and the recipients were often home. He said that his employer was penalized if an early attempt was made and that that was a way around it. I wondered how widespread that was.
It’s possible. But if there is any discrepancy, it’s easy to determine and disqualify the driver for scanner integrity.

Is there gps software in the scanner enabling them to determine your location when you scan a package?

SmithBarney

Is there gps software in the scanner enabling them to determine your location when you scan a package?
The PowerPads utilize GPRS which is "GPS" location based of radio(cell) towers by triangulation, fairly accurate but not as accurate as satellite based location(GPS)
And by now most of the Express fleet should have GPS systems(not mapping, basically location trackers) installed. Not sure if Ground Contractors are going to be required to have this system or not.

It will be fine

The PowerPads utilize GPRS which is "GPS" location based of radio(cell) towers by triangulation, fairly accurate but not as accurate as satellite based location(GPS)
And by now most of the Express fleet should have GPS systems(not mapping, basically location trackers) installed. Not sure if Ground Contractors are going to be required to have this system or not.
We use the same scanners as express. Sometimes they’ll have gps coordinates with disputed deliveries but not always. I use my own trackers but only let Fedex see that data when it benefits me.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
In any similar situation that I've had direct knowledge of, the courier usually justified his actions with the defense that he was "trying to do what's best for the customer." I always thought it was funny because those customer service concerns tended to crop up only when it was convenient for the courier.
In that case it was due being trained by the same managers that lie out their ass everyday. You know Dano, they're the same ones you worship.

SmithBarney

We use the same scanners as express. Sometimes they’ll have gps coordinates with disputed deliveries but not always. I use my own trackers but only let Fedex see that data when it benefits me.

Correct GPRS is only accurate if it can triangulate with cell towers(that's why sometimes you'll have coordinates or not) and even then if it's a tight street, it's accuracy may not be good enough to discern.

Exec32

Why does the customer complain to X. You provide the service, should you be the one contacted first?

This is called supervision, illegal under a contract.