Fired for accident; could I be rehired in another state?

In 2014, I was fired for an accident (and my state-level union hearing upheld the firing). Last October, I tried to come back as a seasonal driver, and a junior HR guy initially gave me a job offer and start date, but then the head of HR called me and said he couldn't hire me as a driver because he either couldn't or didn't want to "go against Labor" or something like that. (I don't remember his exact words.)

I apparently passed the online rehire screening and the background checks and everything, though, because like I said, they gave me an offer at first.

So if I move to a new state, would the HR people in the new state be bound by the same rules and refuse to hire me as a driver? Or was this just one HR guy's personal decision?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In 2014, I was fired for an accident (and my state-level union hearing upheld the firing). Last October, I tried to come back as a seasonal driver, and a junior HR guy initially gave me a job offer and start date, but then the head of HR called me and said he couldn't hire me as a driver because he either couldn't or didn't want to "go against Labor" or something like that. (I don't remember his exact words.)

I apparently passed the online rehire screening and the background checks and everything, though, because like I said, they gave me an offer at first.

So if I move to a new state, would the HR people in the new state be bound by the same rules and refuse to hire me as a driver? Or was this just one HR guy's personal decision?
Your previous employment and termination with UPS will follow you even if you try to reapply in a different state.

JL 0513

How do you get fired for an accident? Either you didn't report it or you were proven to be careless such as texting or something which could be hard for them to prove.

What's the story?

Intersection accident, I had the stop sign and just didn't see the other car, which was presumably in the blind spot behind my mirror. $6500 in total damages, and apparently the whole "gross negligence" clause in the contract doesn't mean :censored2: in the union hearings. According to my union rep at the time, drivers have been fired without the company even proving they were at fault; the "gross negligence" language was rendered essentially meaningless, I guess, and I definitely cleared the $4400 barrier.

Your previous employment and termination with UPS will follow you even if you try to reapply in a different state.

I know they're aware of my firing, but I cleared the online pre-application screening and the background checks last October, so I'm not sure it's an issue company-wide. I thought it might be just local office politics or something.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I would look into FedEx ground, DHL, and even Amazon.
They would all be interested in former UPS drivers, and UPS could only tell them of your employment dates and not that you had an accident.
Your accident may come up in a driving record followup though.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I know they're aware of my firing, but I cleared the online pre-application screening and the background checks last October, so I'm not sure it's an issue company-wide. I thought it might be just local office politics or something.
It's company wide. You won't be able to work at UPS again.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
steal someone's identity and start over . it's the american way.

or maybe you can get on as a PT supe. they'll hire anyone for that.........

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I hate when that happens.

Too bad we didn't know beforehand that we were going to get fired, that way we could really do some major damage!

th

fres431

Intersection accident, I had the stop sign and just didn't see the other car, which was presumably in the blind spot behind my mirror. $6500 in total damages, and apparently the whole "gross negligence" clause in the contract doesn't mean :censored2: in the union hearings. According to my union rep at the time, drivers have been fired without the company even proving they were at fault; the "gross negligence" language was rendered essentially meaningless, I guess, and I definitely cleared the $4400 barrier.
Psh we had a full timer have 3 accidents last one he total a new Mercedes and another car sent 3 people to hospital they still kept his job granted he got demoted to part time for couple yrs but after that he can reapply for driver spot however he will not keep his driver seniority..job security for me and other drivers with that

FilingBluesFL

I heard there was one guy in our district that had almost as many accidents as he did years driving... something like 18 or so. But the last 2 years was when they really started accumulating.

JL 0513

I've never seen someone fired for an accident. Even for tier 3's. Isn't an accident just that, an accident? If I knew I could lose my house and everything else because of being human, I would've found a different line of work.

Based on your story, you hit a car. It's a tier 3 but doesn't sound like any injuries and no loss of life.
Sounds like a day off at most to me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You might be able to come back as a preloader....but you'll never be hired back as a driver.