Fired for (dishonesty) stealing time

Coldworld

60 months and counting
we had kids fired and would say " my supe told me to do it this way" and of course the Supe would deny it. The younger drivers would never question the Onroads as they think the Onroad is their Buddy
Sometimes they are each other’s buddies until sup gets put in the hot seat about something and all bets are off…I’ve seen them fire on roads because it was easier that way than trying to take a driver through panels only to have to bring them back with back pay and benefits…

UPSER1987

Not always. But I have seen exactly as you say. Here it is so(for money/OT). Co-Chairs have to be stewards(worst thing Union could do). This puts them in bed with mgt. They then play both ends against the middle. The last Co-Chairs(3) I've had are so tight with mgt......

There are folks who want to make a difference....but if that costs money or productivity......ain't never gonna happen.....load retainers for example...speeding on the yard....running stop signs....on and on. How about speeding INSIDE the building.
In my center, the safety committee members at one time, were the employees with the WORST safety records. These were the same guys giving PCM’s, mentoring new drivers, and of course the all important, handing water out to other drivers. Oh, it’s gonna be hot in July in Phoenix? Gee, thanks for the reminder. What a joke.

Whereistheunion

They pulled telematics on me and accused me of stealing time. When I would go to lunch I would sometime clock back 10-20 minutes before going back to work. Most of them times, in that 10-20 min span, I would either be using the rest room or using the phone. They terminated me Friday for dishonesty. I have to meet with our UPsers team union leader on next Friday along with our district manger to explain my reasonings to why I was stealing time and they will decide if I get my job back. Has anyone ever had this problem. I’ve never been warned and I have had no other issues in the past 9 months. Will I get my job back?? Thanks
You probably will get your job back, however use your breaks and lunch accordingly. If your going to do what you just described, take a lunch and immediately follow up with your last 2 breaks, cover your ACE.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Wonder what the real story is?

Nobody gets fired for one event. More details missing than a CNN news report.
It was no doubt a pattern of stealing time after his lunch that raised a red flag. People get away with it and get lax....for all he knows (or admits) management might’ve been spying on him on route. I’d love to be a fly on the wall at panel when he tries to go with the “I didn’t understand the lunch break rules” defense.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Time Theft isn't Telematics . Using the time stamps on his time card and delivery records absolutely can be used against a driver and i have seen terminations that have been upheld over similar incidnts .
Security routinely audits time cards and records looking for this type of dishonesty. Once a pattern is established a case is quickly made and presented to the center manager and the center manager takes it from there.
That’s why I always find out make, model and color of ALL on road sups & center manager’s vehicles

quad decade guy

In my center, the safety committee members at one time, were the employees with the WORST safety records. These were the same guys giving PCM’s, mentoring new drivers, and of course the all important, handing water out to other drivers. Oh, it’s gonna be hot in July in Phoenix? Gee, thanks for the reminder. What a joke.
Here "problem" drivers(unsafe, injuries) were instructed(required) to attend safety meetings.

In my opinion, the safety committee will never be effective. Because it is hamstrung by the union. Now, in a perfect world it could be accomplished. This will never happen. The union does not care about the health and safety of it's people that pay their salaries. Just dues.

A joke. I agree.

There is so much good that could come from a employee centric(run) group.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
S
One time they went out to do an observation on one of our guys, found the truck running with the parking brake on, bulkhead door tied open with a dr bag, safety committee guy inside a store making a delivery completely out of sight of the truck.
Standard operating procedure in the 80’s and early 90’s

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Here "problem" drivers(unsafe, injuries) were instructed(required) to attend safety meetings.

In my opinion, the safety committee will never be effective. Because it is hamstrung by the union. Now, in a perfect world it could be accomplished. This will never happen. The union does not care about the health and safety of it's people that pay their salaries. Just dues.

A joke. I agree.

There is so much good that could come from a employee centric(run) group.
So, you think the company should run the safety committee however they see fit?
Is that what you’re trying to say ?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Well, your statement is a little disingenuous....

Don't you mean obtuse ?

:biggrin:

...a call to UPS(which is completely voluntary) is being paid to call the company when directed. How this person calls is up to him. I personally don't. I use the message system.

I just can't see that happening with you.

.....load retainers for example...speeding on the yard....running stop signs....on and on. How about speeding INSIDE the building.

This is more like you.

Turn on the Bat Signal.... so everyone in management can see.

quad decade guy

So you wouldn’t want to know if one of your supervisors were doing an on area observation on you?
With all respect....

I do my job. I'm not scared or concerned. Telematics are always there as are cameras. I have good on time departures and travel times. If, I sense any delay....I message or tap delay.....I don't deliberately milk the clock.....all of this keeps you off the X.

To your question.....don't care. Doesn't matter....

quad decade guy

Don't you mean obtuse ?

:biggrin:

I just can't see that happening with you.

This is more like you.

Turn on the Bat Signal.... so everyone in management can see.
No. I could add intellectually dishonest though.

You don't know me.....so?

Here is where obtuse comes into play again....all of those mentioned things affects EVERYONE. We had a carwash guy driving 20 mph INSIDE the building. Somebody is going to get killed. I've seen a personal friend smeared(to death) on a dock by a shifter....our shifters speed, run stop signs and actually collide with each other.......so yeah.

So, you are the type watching all this go on and actually encourage it? Say nothing....and part of the problem.....shameful.