Fired for intoxication but I wasn't drunk

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don’t know what you wrote on your post , I’ll post my opinion or feelings on anything I want to , showing up to a diving job no matter who you work for is wrong & stupid !!

Well, you quoted my post, so I assumed you were responding to me. Your response didn't seem to fit what I wrote, and I was trying to reach an understanding. I didn't say you couldn't post whatever you want, I just wanted you to reread my post that you quoted without projecting your feelings into it so you might better understand what I wrote. I guess quoting me was a mistake, no worries.

And I agree, showing up for a driving job is wrong and stupid.

Last edited:

clean hairy

Interesting...in my state they draw blood to confirm the breathalyzer in all dui cases. Because without the blood test, the charges often times will not hold up in court.
A good lawyer should have a field day getting your charges dismissed on breathalyzer alone - they're not terribly accurate, and because of that, there's plenty of precedent of cases being tossed out for relying on them alone. A blood test, along with a field sobriety and breathalyzer, makes for an ironclad open and shut case. Which is probably why they're a requirement in my area.

But I guess it's not that way everywhere apparently. I was wrong to assume it was.
In the original post it was stated "went to the work dr"
That tells me blood was taken and 0.6 was the result.
Even beimg under the limit, a person can still be impaired...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Interesting...in my state they draw blood to confirm the breathalyzer in all dui cases. Because without the blood test, the charges often times will not hold up in court.

A good lawyer should have a field day getting your charges dismissed on breathalyzer alone - they're not terribly accurate, and because of that, there's plenty of precedent of cases being tossed out for relying on them alone. A blood test, along with a field sobriety and breathalyzer, makes for an ironclad open and shut case. Which is probably why they're a requirement in my area.

But I guess it's not that way everywhere apparently. I was wrong to assume it was.

In my state, a blood draw is not required.

They can use a portable Breathalyzer, field sobriety, and officer testimony as

probable cause to arrest. Then at the station, they can have you take a confirmation

Breathalyzer by a state certified technician on a state certified machine.

Best thing to do.... is refuse any tests and keep your mouth shut.

In my state, a blood draw is not required.

They can use a portable Breathalyzer, field sobriety, and officer testimony as

probable cause to arrest. Then at the station, they can have you take a confirmation

Breathalyzer by a state certified technician on a state certified machine.

Best thing to do.... is refuse any tests and keep your mouth shut.
Refusing a test is an automatic guilty

ManInBrown

I have several friends that are policemen, and they often give people passes on dui if they seem like decent guys who made a mistake and aren't way over the limit.

They let them call somebody for a ride, or they give them a ride home.

Not every cop wants to ruin a middle class working guy/gal's life for a bad decision made while impaired. Some make a judgement call and cut people who seem like they deserve it (clean record, kids/family, barely over limit) a break.
Ive heard of that happening a lot in the 70s and 80s. Never anymore.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Refusing a test is an automatic guilty

Not here.

It can be an automatic 1 year suspension of your drivers license.

(that's what the police will threaten you with, if you refuse)

But, when you get to court you can always plead guilty.... and then it's

only 6 months with driving privileges.

That's what all the judges, lawyers, and cops do when they get popped.

:biggrin:

rod

Retired 22 years

They draw blood for every DUI? Damn---around here they would have to have a full time blood sampler on staff.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ive heard of that happening a lot in the 70s and 80s. Never anymore.
I had a State Patrol guy let me drive the rest of the way home one night when I should have NEVER been driving (I know-I'm was a :censored2:). That was going home after a UPS Safe Driving Party where the company had and open bar all night. Different times.

Not here.

It can be an automatic 1 year suspension of your drivers license.

(that's what the police will threaten you with, if you refuse)

But, when you get to court you can always plead guilty.... and then it's

only 6 months without driving privileges.

That's what all the judges, lawyers, and cops do when they get popped.

:biggrin:
fixed it for you

ManInBrown

I had a State Patrol guy let me drive the rest of the way home one night when I should have NEVER been driving (I know-I'm was a :censored2:). That was going home after a UPS Safe Driving Party where the company had and open bar all night. Different times.
Exactly. Ive never heard of that happening post 90s. Someone said MADD stopped all that. My dad told me a story about when he was younger. Him and buddy driving in the 70s both somewhat wasted. Cop pulls them over, sees they are both intoxicated and asks which one of you is less drunk. My dad says i am. Cop goes, you drive the rest of the way.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
fixed it for you

Nah....

You surrender your regular license plates for some nice bright yellow ones

that let everyone know you got clipped.

late 70's - early 80's. Later on the company would just give everyone 3 drink tickets. It's amazing how many extra tickets you could come up with just asking around.

The company used to let employees drink in the parking lot after work here.

Then one guy whipped a wine bottle at some supe's corvette when he was leaving....

rod

Retired 22 years
Exactly. Ive never heard of that happening post 90s. Someone said MADD stopped all that. My dad told me a story about when he was younger. Him and buddy driving in the 70s both somewhat wasted. Cop pulls them over, sees they are both intoxicated and asks which one of you is less drunk. My dad says i am. Cop goes, you drive the rest of the way.
Now days all DUI enforcement is is a cash cow to finance all that fancy equipment and over staffed law enforcement offices. The local Sheriff gave a speech at our Town board meeting a couple years ago saying that when he was elected Sheriff he had 16 people in his employee--8 squad cars for the whole County. Now he was up to 89 people with over 50 squad cars. That was in a matter of 20 years. They have to justify their existence so the pull people over for EVERYTHING--including stuff they just make up. (license plate light our--well it wasn't working when I pulled you over----you seemed to be weaving or crossed over the line ---your word against theirs. Don't get me wrong- we need law enforcement but it has gotten out of hand with the crazy traffic stops.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nah....

Then one guy whipped a wine bottle at some supe's corvette when he was leaving....

Around here they issue you a license plate that begins with a W --like WA279. We call them Whiskey plates. If you have those law enforcement can pull for no reason just to check if you've been drinking.

oldngray

nowhere special
Now days all DUI enforcement is is a cash cow to finance all that fancy equipment and over staffed law enforcement offices. The local Sheriff gave a speech at our Town board meeting a couple years ago saying that when he was elected Sheriff he had 16 people in his employee--8 squad cars for the whole County. Now he was up to 89 people with over 50 squad cars. That was in a matter of 20 years. They have to justify their existence so the pull people over for EVERYTHING--including stuff they just make up. (license plate light our--well it wasn't working when I pulled you over----you seemed to be weaving or crossed over the line ---your word against theirs. Don't get me wrong- we need law enforcement but it has gotten out of hand with the crazy traffic stops.

The days of Otis the town drunk getting off with a warning are long gone.

I got a ticket for failure to use turn signal. I know I did but not worth fighting over in a small town court. Cop saw me speeding through a yellow light but didn't have his radar on me so wanted to give me a ticket for something. It was just 25 bucks.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Nah....

The package drivers used to park their UPS cars at the bar on friday afternoons and drink with the sups. Sometimes local cops would join in. Different days. Just more people, cars,trucks, now a days. Everything was more relaxed and simpler back then.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
No I'm definitely not.

You are trying to say that you were arrested, charged, and convicted of DUI without being taken to the hospital and receiving a blood test for confirmation?

If you somehow were, and I highly doubt it, you had the world's worst attorney, and were arrested by the most incompetent policemen ever.

In my state, policemen are required to take you for a blood test, and breathalyzers alone are not enough to convict you in court - which is good, because they aren't always very accurate. There's reasons they can be wrong/give false levels, and a good lawyer will have it tossed in a heartbeat on breathalyzer alone.
In my state the courts have ruled that a Breathalyzer is all that is needed.

oldngray

nowhere special
Can't drink in the parking lot anymore
We used to have coolers in the trunk for a quick beer or two after work. UPS has cameras that can see people drinking but are somehow unable to see when cars get broken into.

Remember when UPS would have picnics or pizza parties with beer? That went away when they got scared of liabilities.