Fired for not using load stand properly..

The last two days that I worked, my pph was 250+.

For the second time, I never went to HR. I was approached after our meetings upstairs by a girl who probably worked for HR and she asked me how things were going and I told her what happened. I just assumed being up front and honest was the smartest thing to do at the time, in case anything else were to happen down the road with the same supervisor.

So, what you guys are saying is that if anybody says anything that seems really off--to just keep it to yourself-- if you want to keep your job.

Apparently, I was wrong to think saying something about the supervisor was a good idea, if that's really what got me canned.

I didn't expect as much trash talk going in. I just thought it was a job and that everybody was supposed to respect each other. Guess not.

Thanks for understanding guys.

Indecisi0n

For the second time, I never went to HR. I was approached after our meetings upstairs by a girl who probably worked for HR and she asked me how things were going and I told her what happened. I just assumed being up front and honest was the smartest thing to do at the time, in case anything else were to happen down the road with the same supervisor.

So, what you guys are saying is that if anybody says anything that seems really off--to just keep it to yourself-- if you want to keep your job.

Apparently, I was wrong to think saying something about the supervisor was a good idea, if that's really what got me canned.

I didn't expect as much trash talk going in. I just thought it was a job and that everybody was supposed to respect each other. Guess not.

UPS doesn't pay you to think.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Nope, this forum is loaded with trolls, bad advice and guys like the one who slammed you. That is, someone who thinks he works harder than everyone else, and thinks he can figure out your life story in one post. Just read his comments. He gets pissy because he hasn't figured out that his accelerated work pace brings more work onto himself, so he looks down on the others he has help out. Maybe a look in the mirror would suit this fella.

Yeah, also, in case you cared, you wouldn't make it in the military. That statement alone says much about his outlook and attitude.

Get out of UPS and find a job where you might be respected and treated like a human being. Unfortunately, you picked the wrong company for all of that. Move on.

Leftinbuilding

Every successful UPS employee has to have tough skin. You can't run and tell every time someone offends you. Some file greivances at the slightest offense, and then wonder why UPS ignores them when they have a legitimate concern. It's the "cry wolf" phenomenon. I don't know if telling HR about your issue got you fired. But I guarantee if you were marginal as a worker, that was what pushed you over. UPS doesn't want or need more complainers.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Every successful UPS employee has to have tough skin. You can't run and tell every time someone offends you. Some file greivances at the slightest offense, and then wonder why UPS ignores them when they have a legitimate concern. It's the "cry wolf" phenomenon. I don't know if telling HR about your issue got you fired. But I guarantee if you were marginal as a worker, that was what pushed you over. UPS doesn't want or need more complainers.

True; that is why you see managers getting laid off so frequently nowadays.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Hey, the more you know. Why do you guys keep bringing up the military?

Because there's a lot of similarities.

On another note, it's pretty clear you aren't cut out for it. Complaining within 30 days to whomever is the only red-flag needed to say "No thanks" when your time is up. Not producing at the proper PPH is another. You don't get a pat on the back for ALMOST getting 300pph....a goal is a goal for a reason. Two strikes and you're out. I would have made the same decision....but I wouldn't have fed you the line of crap about a load stand. I would have said "You aren't quite cut out for this. You haven't been performing to the standards we have set. Thanks for your time, and good luck." Why they decided to essentially lie to you is pansy-ish....but my fellow partners tend to do these things a little too often. I can't defend stupid people.

J

jibbs

New recruits (at UPS, new hires) receive rougher handling (training, conditioning and indoctrination) to mold them into the soldier (worker) most desirable and beneficial (productive) to the unit (center or hub).

If a recruit doesn't make it through basic training for whatever reason, they're sent home. At UPS, basic training is your first 30 days as an hourly, and I actually think it's easier for UPS to cut someone in their first 30 days than it is for the United States Armed Forces to send someone home from basic training.

At least, those are the parallels I see.

They're both sausage fests.

And there's that. We have a few women working in my center but they're the extreme minority.

Random_Facts

Just when you think you've heard it all, let go because you didn't use your load stand correctly? Give me a break, UPS should be happy to have people applying and working there. My hub is so desperate for workers that if you call and tell them your car is broke or won't start, the supervisors will come and pick you up themselves. (talk about saving on fuel). Look on the bright side though, like that one poster said this could be a true blessing by it's self. Did you really want to work for $8.50 an hour, with no benefits for an entire year? 3.5 hours - possibly 4.5 hours if you're lucky. Anyway, don't let these people get you down, find a new job, stay positive, and most importantly believe in yourself. You'll be alright in the end =].

twoweeled

Hey guys

I'm new to this forum, but have a pretty serious question.

I was hired about a month ago @ UPS, passed the training and first week. The other person that I trained with quit, because she said that she had a better job offer.

Anyway the training all seemed normal. They were firm with everything, but seemed fair. The supervisor on the ground told me the very first day, "Go home, nobody wants you here." This was not in a joking tone and it really bothered me. When I told my other co-workers they just laughed and said, "that's just him, he does that to everybody". But I was concerned so I still told the lady in HR and she said she would try to see if it could be resolved.

Whenever I had to clean the sides of my trailer I would bend at my knees to pick up the packages, but not go all the way down to the ground, because I was trying to keep my pph [packages per hour] at 300. Also when I would use my load stand every once in a while I would forget that the first step was there and just get off by stepping down the front. I didn't think that was a big deal, because I'm tall and the load stand is already not that big anyway.

Well, my supervisors all complained that I wasn't bending at the knees enough and not using my load stand properly. I would work with other employees that wouldn't even use the load stand and they were never told anything about it, but as soon as I didn't use it they would say something or write it down.

So today I had to sit down and talk to a manager and he said that because I was written up for not using my load stand properly and not bending at the knees enough that he "couldn't recommend my employment at United Parcel Services".

Nobody else was yelled at for not using the load stand the entire time I was working there. Could this be because I reported the supervisor he said something to me the first day?

Thanks.

Welcome to UPS! It's for sure there was some reason for it. could have been that, or this. Would've been best if you had spoken another hourly for advice. He probably would have told you not to say anything - yet.

rocket man

Hey guys

I'm new to this forum, but have a pretty serious question.

I was hired about a month ago @ UPS, passed the training and first week. The other person that I trained with quit, because she said that she had a better job offer. whats a load stand

Anyway the training all seemed normal. They were firm with everything, but seemed fair. The supervisor on the ground told me the very first day, "Go home, nobody wants you here." This was not in a joking tone and it really bothered me. When I told my other co-workers they just laughed and said, "that's just him, he does that to everybody". But I was concerned so I still told the lady in HR and she said she would try to see if it could be resolved.

Whenever I had to clean the sides of my trailer I would bend at my knees to pick up the packages, but not go all the way down to the ground, because I was trying to keep my pph [packages per hour] at 300. Also when I would use my load stand every once in a while I would forget that the first step was there and just get off by stepping down the front. I didn't think that was a big deal, because I'm tall and the load stand is already not that big anyway.

Well, my supervisors all complained that I wasn't bending at the knees enough and not using my load stand properly. I would work with other employees that wouldn't even use the load stand and they were never told anything about it, but as soon as I didn't use it they would say something or write it down.

So today I had to sit down and talk to a manager and he said that because I was written up for not using my load stand properly and not bending at the knees enough that he "couldn't recommend my employment at United Parcel Services".

Nobody else was yelled at for not using the load stand the entire time I was working there. Could this be because I reported the supervisor he said something to me the first day?

Thanks.

Notcool

Pt at ups is not worth sweating over. They did you a favor. I started loading thinking is was a job I could tell people where I work with pride. Now I envy people that work in retail jobs making more with alot less work. "but the opportunity to make good money here" Thats a farce! Been pt for over 7 years loading. I cant even pick off haha. I am starting to loose it with is job and just quit.

Leftinbuilding

Pt at ups is not worth sweating over. They did you a favor. I started loading thinking is was a job I could tell people where I work with pride. Now I envy people that work in retail jobs making more with alot less work. "but the opportunity to make good money here" Thats a farce! Been pt for over 7 years loading. I cant even pick off haha. I am starting to loose it with is job and just quit.

You have stayed at a job you hate for 7 years, while you know of people making more, doing less??? And the opportunity to make good money is a "farce"? Gotta ask, who is the stupid one here? You obviously don't believe your own rant. Either that or you've got some screws loose. I get the feeling UPS just might welcome this resignation letter. As a retiree, counting on competent workers, I know I would.

balland chain

You were treated differently most likely because you went to his/her superior. That is the UPS way.. If you would have said nothing and got your job done in a timely manor, you would still have a job at UPS..They dont care about safety like they try to make us believe..They have there safety meetings for one reason.. Corporate.. They must report back to corporate there safety programs, who attended, what was said and what they are planning on doing to prevent injuries..It is a big pile of crap.. Where I work, I approached a safety committee member due to shifters speeding on property..When he asked a supervisor about this during a meeting, the sup. said " dont worry about the shifters." Nothing was done. They want these guys driving balls out on property and will do nothing until someone is hurt and then the shifter involved will be terminated.. Frankly your better off finding another job..