Fired for something that happened a month ago?

RTW FTW

So these members (employees) are hired and sign a membership card, are orientated during their first week where the union attends (we give them a short speech and a small handbook), are initiated and charged monthly dues, have access to numerous social media resources, have the option of attending monthly membership meetings, and democratically elect an Executive Board, Business Agents and Stewards for all classifications and shifts in most cases....

....but somehow the "Union doesn't reach out to anyone"?
A lot of members here go couple years before union notices they aren’t in. Then they try to say they owe years back in dues. So members say I’m not joining if that’s the case.
Eventually, they realize it was their fault and don’t require the back pay.
Most have no contract.

Thebrownblob

A lot of members here go couple years before union notices they aren’t in. Then they try to say they owe years back in dues. So members say I’m not joining if that’s the case.
Eventually, they realize it was their fault and don’t require the back pay.
Most have no contract.
In more instances than not we wave back dues for a whole ton of reasons. Most of them are not the unions fault. Some of them are the company they work for, but the vast majority is failure to take a withdrawal card.

iowa boy

So these members (employees) are hired and sign a membership card, are orientated during their first week where the union attends (we give them a short speech and a small handbook), are initiated and charged monthly dues, have access to numerous social media resources, have the option of attending monthly membership meetings, and democratically elect an Executive Board, Business Agents and Stewards for all classifications and shifts in most cases....

I've worked for this company for over 15 years now and when I first started, no one in the first 90 days reached out to me to tella me anything about the union. I never went thru any orientation with the union. I have never been solicited to vote for the Executive Board, part-time or full-time stewards, or even our Business Agents.

Anymore, most of us aren't even told when the local grievance hearings are gonna be, even if we have grievances pending in the system. So please tell me how well my local does at reaching out to me? And don't tell me its my job to contact them, as I have a job to do and it doesn't include sitting on the phone trying to contact the union between the hours of 9 and 5 weekdays.

Commercial Inside Release

In RTW States, this is not the case. Many places, months after, employees are begging for info about the union and trying in vain to sign up. Now go ahead do your thing. Give negative feedback to anyone that disagrees with you.

Thebrownblob

I've worked for this company for over 15 years now and when I first started, no one in the first 90 days reached out to me to tella me anything about the union. I never went thru any orientation with the union. I have never been solicited to vote for the Executive Board, part-time or full-time stewards, or even our Business Agents.

Anymore, most of us aren't even told when the local grievance hearings are gonna be, even if we have grievances pending in the system. So please tell me how well my local does at reaching out to me? And don't tell me its my job to contact them, as I have a job to do and it doesn't include sitting on the phone trying to contact the union between the hours of 9 and 5 weekdays.
Sounds like you need to put a team together or find a better executive board to vote for shouldn’t be too hard if it’s as bad as you say.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

The National Labor Relations Act, as well as various other legislation, requires that you be properly notified of your local union's election plan that occurs every three years.

So if you missed it over the past 15 years, I won't venture to guess where the disconnect is?

Thebrownblob

The National Labor Relations Act, as well as various other legislation, requires that you be properly notified of your local union's election plan that occurs every three years.

So if you missed it over the past 15 years, I won't venture to guess where the disconnect is?
Every election three weeks before the vote people call and say why didn’t I get my ballot? Yes I moved I thought you just knew.😂

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In RTW States, this is not the case. Many places, months after, employees are begging for info about the union and trying in vain to sign up. Now go ahead do your thing. Give negative feedback to anyone that disagrees with you.
This makes zero sense, seeing those local unions cannot collect dues for those employees until they sign up, while still being obligated to represent them.

Want better "feedback", get your stories straight before posting is my recommendation.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Wait a minute, I think I figured this out, Iowa has been a "Right To Work" state since 1974....

....so if @iowa boy has "never been solicited to vote for the Executive Board, part-time or full-time stewards, or even our Business Agents" for his Local, he has never joined over his 15 years.

We can only vote in Union elections if we are members in good standings (pay dues).

SMH