Fired for unreported accident.

Box Ox

This is the problem with Ups, they never back the drivers. They care too much about "protecting the shield" that they could care less if the driver was at fault, as long as the end result doesn't hurt Ups' image.

Because when you're gone, they'll just put the next butt in the seat. And probably save money doing it. They've got no reason to care about drivers over their corporate interests.

john chesney

I agree of course. It just makes me wonder if i was wrongly accused of hitting something, how easy it would be for them to find me guilty of something i didnt do
Difficult if you really didn’t do it. Must be proof, more then one witness and the truck marks must line up. Brown paint left behind don’t help. Not to many things with our brown paint on them

Overpaid Union Thug

I had backed into a building during a pickup and caused barely noticeable damage, the store owner told me not to worry about it and a month later they are reporting it. I was fired, is there any chance at all for me to get my job back?
Report EVERYTHING. I've sent each and every property damage in on the DIAD. Once a manager came all the way out to a house for a broken tree limb. I didn't ask him to. He typically would come out and look at any reported damage whether the owner knew about it yet or not. He wasn't happy he came out of the office for what he called a "little tree limb" (it was actually huge) but I guarantee if I hadn't reported it and the owner complained about a huge tree limb that was 100 years old had been knocked down he would have thrown me under the bus as quickly as possible.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Report EVERYTHING. I've sent each and every property damage in on the DIAD. Once a manager came all the way out to a house for a broken tree limb. I didn't ask him to. He typically would come out and look at any reported damage whether the owner knew about it yet or not. He wasn't happy he came out of the office for what he called a "little tree limb" (it was actually huge) but I guarantee if I hadn't reported it and the owner complained about a huge tree limb that was 100 years old had been knocked down he would have thrown me under the bus as quickly as possible.
Yup! Report even the smallest little thing just to CYA, 999/1000 nothing will come of it. But if you don't report it and someone saw it and turns you in, you're gone. I would rather report everything and have peace of mind.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I had backed into a building during a pickup and caused barely noticeable damage, the store owner told me not to worry about it and a month later they are reporting it. I was fired, is there any chance at all for me to get my job back?

Manager: So with all the training you have you had, you "had" to back all the way the too the building....WHY, how many packages, do you always back to the building blah, blah, blah...that is why we do not want you backing, even with 4 mirrors and a camera you cannot back properly. Then you didn't report it...oh ya you are getting some time on the street, maybe permanently, depending how pissed off the manager is.

Manager: So with all the training you have you had, you "had" to back all the way the too the building....WHY, how many packages, do you always back to the building blah, blah, blah...that is why we do not want you backing, even with 4 mirrors and a camera you cannot back properly. Then you didn't report it...oh ya you are getting some time on the street, maybe permanently, depending how :censored2: off the manager is.
Backing isn't that hard to do.

ManInBrown

How many time have we seen a similar thread?

Report all accidents. We had a guy who had 6 in 9 months. He maintained employment.

To the OP...I will pray for you and your family. I suggest you do the same and also fight for your job. You spoke to the business owner, there is no denying the incident now. Talk with your BA, be truly sorry for not reporting it, and that is all you can do.
Seriously. Report everything. Why are guys so scared to call in an accident? They can’t do sheet short of you being drunk and killing someone. It makes no sense. I’ve been in one accident at UPS. Called it in. Was taken off road for the rest of that day, back the next day no problem with a slap on the wrist.

Never listen to the other party telling you don’t worry about it. Just call it in.

BigBrown1234

Seriously. Report everything. Why are guys so scared to call in an accident? They can’t do sheet short of you being drunk and killing someone. It makes no sense. I’ve been in one accident at UPS. Called it in. Was taken off road for the rest of that day, back the next day no problem with a slap on the wrist.
Never listen to the other party telling you don’t worry about it. Just call it in.

They way the original post looks.
He already didn’t report the accident. And management fired him after it was brought to their attention from the store owner a month later.
So I think he’s just asking if people think he can keep his job. And maybe some after the fact advice.

Hindsight is always 20/20

I have lots of stories when I did things correctly and I did things incorrect. I knew exactly what I was doing at the time but made the decision/gamble I made at that time because I figured it would be the best option. Sometimes I was wrong and sometimes I was right. If I made a bad decision then sometimes I would get away with it sometimes I would suffer the consequences. That’s the way life goes.

But on this post. Telling him what he should have done is not only irrelevant, and not helpful, it’s also extremely irritating. Just answer the question, give after the fact advice and stay on topic.

Lol, just in some kinda mood today

Last edited:

BigBrown1234

I really need this job or else I'm screwed. I hope I get another chance, or on the street might be where I end up.

When is your Panel?
Have you been to pre panel yet?
Write your story down and request a meeting with your BA to discuss what the plan is to defend your side, and what the best possible scenarios can be.
See if you can settle. If arbitration may happen and how to prepare for it.

Purple2Brown

When is your Panel?
Have you been to pre panel yet?
Write your story down and request a meeting with your BA to discuss what the plan is to defend your side, and what the best possible scenarios can be.
See if you can settle. If arbitration may happen and how to prepare for it.

I've sat down and explained everything at the union office, and filled out the grievance. I really don't know how the whole process works, but they are setting up a meeting with the center manager and a bunch of other people it sounds like. What kind of scenarios should I expect? When you say settle, what are the options you think they would offer me? I really can't settle for anything less than going back to my job, but I realize I can only hope for the best.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I've sat down and explained everything at the union office, and filled out the grievance. I really don't know how the whole process works, but they are setting up a meeting with the center manager and a bunch of other people it sounds like. What kind of scenarios should I expect? When you say settle, what are the options you think they would offer me? I really can't settle for anything less than going back to my job, but I realize I can only hope for the best.
How long have you worked for Ups, and what's your accident history like? These things factor in to a decision...

My guess is you will be back to work with no back pay.

35years

Gravy route
What kind of scenarios should I expect? When you say settle, what are the options you think they would offer me? I really can't settle for anything less than going back to my job, but I realize I can only hope for the best.

All time off since firing will be unpaid...You may have to agree to a long layoff.
If the business owner is pissed you may loose your route (if you have one).

To salvage your job you may have to agree to a "last chance" agreement.
In your case this may be the only way.
Or they may want you to take a combo job with no driving.

Or they may not want you back at all.

I would fight, but also look for other work (railroad pays better than UPS)

Edd O'Rion

Some lady called and said I knocked down a small wall near her mailbox. Thank goodness for telematics, because I hadn’t been anywhere near her driveway in weeks.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Some lady called and said I knocked down a small wall near her mailbox. Thank goodness for telematics, because I hadn’t been anywhere near her driveway in weeks.
Some people are just pricks. That lady doesn't realize that her BS story could have cost an honest employee their job. These are people my center manager puts on permanent will call.