Fired Yesterday!!

satellitedriver

Jeez,
It is just grass and not like you backed over a child.
I spend every weekend mowing and manicuring acres of grass around my home.
Guess what,
grass grows back.
I can see being reprimanded-(not really)-, but to be fired?????

UPSGUY72

It is dirt and grass. Get off your high horse and put yourself in his shoes. I remember how important it was for me when I went from part-time to full-time and that was over 20 years ago.

I have gravel driveways a quarter of a mile long. What if I move the rocks around and they call in?

Come on people it is DIRT and GRASS. I believe he didn't think he did any damage.

Like I said it probable isn't he first time this customer has had problems with UPS drivers in his driveway.

It doesn't matter what the OP does he isn't getting his seasonal driving job back because seasonal driver never make there 30 days or gain seniority as a driver.

Re-Raise

Like I said it probable isn't he first time this customer has had problems with UPS drivers in his driveway.

It doesn't matter what the OP does he isn't getting his seasonal driving job back because seasonal driver never make there 30 days or gain seniority as a driver.

Huh? At some point a seasonal driver will get their 30 days in. He is next in line to drive. I would hope something like this wouldn't allow a person with less seniority to pass him up.

Any driver who says they have never touched grass with a tire is a liar or delusional.

OptimusPrime

For seasonal drivers, the 30 days does not apply. Nor is he next in line to drive. He was just someone who got the seasonal job. Real typical in my hub. Have done seasonal several times, busting my ass, thinking it was a foot in the door. Nope. Jobs were snatched up by guys just bidding their time for full time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The key issue here is not whether a tire mark on the grass is worth getting upset over. The OP isnt getting fired for having an accident; he is getting fired for dishonesty. The company is going to have to prove that he knew about the damage and intentionally tried to conceal it or lie about it.

Re-Raise

For seasonal drivers, the 30 days does not apply. Nor is he next in line to drive. He was just someone who got the seasonal job. Real typical in my hub. Have done seasonal several times, busting my ass, thinking it was a foot in the door. Nope. Jobs were snatched up by guys just bidding their time for full time.

He said he has been there 9 years and is at the top of the seniority list.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The key issue here is not whether a tire mark on the grass is worth getting upset over. The OP isnt getting fired for having an accident; he is getting fired for dishonesty. The company is going to have to prove that he knew about the damage and intentionally tried to conceal it or lie about it.

Guilty until proven innocent, the UPS way?

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
I am the highest seniority PT person in my center that wants to drive. I had a really bad feeling that something like this was going to happen to me. I try to be so careful but quick at the same time. At first I said no to the seasonal position in fear of this very thing happening. They told me they really needed my help this season do to a driver shortage and that they will be posting a full time bid sheet in September. If this was my tire track, I can't explain why I did not realize they damage was made. I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out. I honestly did not feel anything that would have suggested something went wrong. I was told my sup called fed ex and they did not make a delivery since I did. I guess what I'm saying is I'm pretty convinced with the facts that I must have been the one to cause the damage, but I really was unaware of it at the time. Maybe thats due to my lack of experience or just the fact that I was paying so much attention to the spacing on the sides of the truck as I was pulling out. Whatever it was, I guess if I do get my PT job back I will have to wait another year to get another shot at driving and will have to watch other less seniority people snatch up the FT job in September that I've been working toward for 9 years. Thanks for all your information and help with this people. I appreciate it

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am the highest seniority PT person in my center that wants to drive. I had a really bad feeling that something like this was going to happen to me. I try to be so careful but quick at the same time. At first I said no to the seasonal position in fear of this very thing happening. They told me they really needed my help this season do to a driver shortage and that they will be posting a full time bid sheet in September. If this was my tire track, I can't explain why I did not realize they damage was made. I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out. I honestly did not feel anything that would have suggested something went wrong. I was told my sup called fed ex and they did not make a delivery since I did. I guess what I'm saying is I'm pretty convinced with the facts that I must have been the one to cause the damage, but I really was unaware of it at the time. Maybe thats due to my lack of experience or just the fact that I was paying so much attention to the spacing on the sides of the truck as I was pulling out. Whatever it was, I guess if I do get my PT job back I will have to wait another year to get another shot at driving and will have to watch other less seniority people snatch up the FT job in September that I've been working toward for 9 years. Thanks for all your information and help with this people. I appreciate it

Let me give you a quick run-down of my previous FT driving experience.

I was on Day 22 on-road and I curbed the vehicle outside of a Kinder-Care. The truck jumped just high enough to take down a tree -limb. It was around 3' long and maybe 2" diamater the deepest.

There was no damage to the vehicle, not even a scratch- which I was fairly surprised to see. But it was a large size tree limb to be knocking down.

I walked into the Kindergarten center and told the people in the office. They said "it's no big deal, absolutely fine, don't worry about it".

I could have just walked away, however I called it into the center just in case there were future ramifications.

They immediately took me offroad and told me I was an unsafe driver. My center manager said "this happened, however we don't know how many other things you have hit and not told us about". This really bothered me quite a bit, to hear my own management team did not have any trust in me, with no previous experiences or relations with.

THat should give you an idea of what you are up against. Every driver is in a cruel way critiqued and criticized and always at fault and responsible. You will never be good enough in their eyes and you will certainly be guilty until proven innocent.

Good luck and do not take it to heart!

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
Thanks for your comments Sleeve. I guess this termination could be a good thing. Really starting to second guess my career path. Being treated as a dishonest lazy peon for the next 30 years really doesn't appeal to me. I will probably never make the same amount of money working anywhere else,but not being so stressed out about the next angry customer that could get me canned over something stupid or getting blamed and fired for something I didn't do may just be worth the pay cut. But Damn!! What a waste of a decade of back breaking work. I'm jealous of all the people that had the opportunity to work for UPS 30-40 years ago. Really sounds like a place a hard working honest guy could make a good living for his family and feel good about his hard work everyday. Anyone know how to make a time machine and is willing to share???

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No, its not guilty until proven inocent...its guilty even after proven innocent.

In cases of "crash avoidability" I agree...I'm sure there are others. :happy-very:

There are probably at least a few cases where the employee was guilty, then when found 100% innocent they were off the hook. Maybe one or two?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thanks for your comments Sleeve. I guess this termination could be a good thing. Really starting to second guess my career path. Being treated as a dishonest lazy peon for the next 30 years really doesn't appeal to me. I will probably never make the same amount of money working anywhere else,but not being so stressed out about the next angry customer that could get me canned over something stupid or getting blamed and fired for something I didn't do may just be worth the pay cut. But Damn!! What a waste of a decade of back breaking work. I'm jealous of all the people that had the opportunity to work for UPS 30-40 years ago. Really sounds like a place a hard working honest guy could make a good living for his family and feel good about his hard work everyday. Anyone know how to make a time machine and is willing to share???

make sure you jump on any 22.3 bids that may go up in your area. I know they are scarce, you can always back-into a route maybe 5 or 10 years if you are a FT classification. At least you know what you are up against after having tried it, too.

I'm going to try package car again next week...it has been roughly two years for me, should be interesting.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I rubbed a telephone pole my first road test, back when you had to have a CDL-C. 1 year suspension. center manager wasn't even sure how to handle it. The scratch matched all the others the truck had. I guess I was the first one to get caught. NYS DMV didn't charge me with anything.

I wish they had allowed mw to drive the damn truck in the yard, at least, before jumping behind the wheel for the first time ever. Oh, well. Fun story.

blademydoggie

Where do these people come from?! Tire impression on the grass and you are fired? If you are a driver for this screwed up company paint a bullseye on the back of the bozo the clown suit you wear.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
Just an update. Day 3 with no word from my BA. Is this typical? He told me to sit tight,wait for the discharge papers to come in the mail and he would call me when he hears something. Starting to think I need to press the subject a bit. Haven't even filed the grievance yet. Any thoughts?