First days as a driver

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The free period is 11/10-12/31. You are right in that the days you work during that period do not count toward qualifying; however, if you are retained after 12/31, the days you worked before 11/10 will count.

Indecisi0n

Tell your loader to put all your air in the 1000 section no matter what the PAL says. Some are listed RDR/RDL with bulk. Don't get nasty with him but be firm. Those guys get pushed hard to but just because their having a bad day doesn't mean you need to have one. I had a bulk stop of 70 packages and told my loader "I don't care where you put the packages just have my air in 1K." He gave me a nod. I ended up having a late air because this :censored2: put a NDA letter on the center floor with 50 packages on top of it !! :censored2: idiot.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Tell your loader to put all your air in the 1000 section no matter what the PAL says. Some are listed RDR/RDL with bulk. Don't get nasty with him but be firm. Those guys get pushed hard to but just because their having a bad day doesn't mean you need to have one. I had a bulk stop of 70 packages and told my loader "I don't care where you put the packages just have my air in 1K." He gave me a nod. I ended up having a late air because this :censored2: put a NDA letter on the center floor with 50 packages on top of it !! @#$%ing idiot.

How's that glass house?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If you are on PAS/EDD use Find BC to make sure the air is in the DIAD before the commit time. As long as you scan it before the commit time and don't prerecord the stop it will not show late.

the OP--there has been a lot of good advice given. You will have a month or so of training before Peak begins. Use this time to your advantage.

I wouldn't be scanning any packages and holding them in a signature mode unless your at the actual stop....this is a no no. There have been folks fired for this and in almost every case its a customer who has tipped off UPS about an issue, not actual company technology.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wouldn't be scanning any packages and holding them in a signature mode unless your at the actual stop....this is a no no. There have been folks fired for this and in almost every case its a customer who has tipped off UPS about an issue, not actual company technology.

He was at the stop--he couldn't find it in his load. That is the only reason I suggested it. I agree with you 100% that it shouldn't be used when you are nowhere near the stop just to beat the commit.

Indecisi0n

How's that glass house?

All i ask is for the loader to put all the air in the same section. Are you insinuating that's too much to ask for? I could careless where everything else goes but i do not want late air. Again i know these guys work hard but if he can't manage to do that then he doesn't deserve to work there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All i ask is for the loader to put all the air in the same section. Are you insinuating that's too much to ask for? I could careless where everything else goes but i do not want late air. Again i know these guys work hard but if he can't manage to do that then he doesn't deserve to work there.

It sounds as though you may be better off having him not load any NDA at all so that you can verify each package and load them where you want them.

Indecisi0n

Can't you tell the PAS person to PAL all your airs to 1000?
Thats a great poin but I am a cover for these drivers so i really don't want to step on other drives toes. If that driver wants his letters bulked with packages then so be it but i know i don't. This guys route has a bulk stop that has air everyday. I drop off min 25-30 packages and at least 4-7 NDA's to this specific company and the air is labeled RDR and gets mixed in. I don't understand why he would want that but like i said it isn't my route so im not going over his head.

It sounds as though you may be better off having him not load any NDA at all so that you can verify each package and load them where you want them.

Thats a good idea. A lot of the NDAs are letters which we are know make for great hiders. I figure instead of having them hang out on the belt where they might fall under the truck/belt just throw them all in the corner.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I've noticed that if you have a bulky route that is always bricked out that loading your air on a rear shelf can help especially if many of your stops are out the back anyway. There are some cars at my bldg that do this even though all the air have hin numbers for 1000 shelf.

bigbrownhen

I also suggest a good flashlight. You said you were nervous about working in the dark. The backup camera is great at night, unless it snows, then it's hard to see. A flashlight is great for reading mailbox numbers, house numbers, and keeping a dog away. Shine it right in their eyes. I use the ones given out by the center a few years ago. They are durable and shine a good distance.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Can't you tell the PAS person to PAL all your airs to 1000?
I think that most air is automatically pal'd to 1000. I've seen it pal'd to 2000 and sometimes to 3000. I think that is based on historical delivery data????

There used to be a time when no air was loaded. There are days when I wish they would go back to doing that. :knockedout:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thats a great poin but I am a cover for these drivers so i really don't want to step on other drives toes. If that driver wants his letters bulked with packages then so be it but i know i don't. This guys route has a bulk stop that has air everyday. I drop off min 25-30 packages and at least 4-7 NDA's to this specific company and the air is labeled RDR and gets mixed in. I don't understand why he would want that but like i said it isn't my route so im not going over his head.

My first two stops are WalMart and Sam's. My loader loads all packages for them RDR and RDL, respectively, including any NDA. All of the other NDA is PALed to the 1000 section.

As a cover driver you have few options so it may be best to have all of your NDA held outside of the car.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Thats a good idea. A lot of the NDAs are letters which we are know make for great hiders. I figure instead of having them hang out on the belt where they might fall under the truck/belt just throw them all in the corner.
I would prefer to have my air loaded with a bulk delivery (RD loaded).

Indecisi0n

Like mention above and good flashlight is a MUST ! I paid for a good led flashlight from home depot and it has made life A LOT easier. Since i do splits I don't know where the number breaks are or which streets run high to low and at night it can be frustrating.

Indecisi0n

I would prefer to have my air loaded with a bulk delivery (RD loaded).

We are all different and i understand this which is why i am not getting the PAL's changed (not my route). See i am a firm believer of covering my @$$. Before i leave in the morning i count my air, if its all not there i tell a sup (@$$ covered). If my air is bulked with the other packages i have to dig and there are times you just can't get access to it until you move things around.

We have all had late air, now what is the first thing the office says when you report a missing/late air? "Did you check the load before you left the building?" If you do things my way the answer is always yes. I try to make things easier on me. I know many people run out the shop blind (without counting air) but i choose not to. I like flying under the radar.

bigbrownhen

I really wish there would be a standard ordinance for all mailboxes and houses have visible reflective numbers on them. It annoys me to no end to see all the docorations blocking them.

One more suggestion. Get a pair of boot grippers if you work in an area prone to snow or ice. The ones I have slip right over my boots. They are life savers. It's amazing how many little hills and slopes you notice once it gets slick. Any north facing driveway will be solid ice. Just be careful not to wear them on a floor that can be damaged when making an inside delivery.

Indecisi0n

The houses I am at are half a million dollar homes and no one has numbers ! This drives me nuts lol.

Another issues I run into is people don't seem to understand cars drive past their house from the left AND the right so put numbers are both sides of the box !