First night in hub experience

LeftRS1

One of those Millennials Drivers
The worst part of loading is that when you get good at it you wont see anyone for an hour or two. Thats also the best part though.

"Why is your pph lower today?" "No flow :censored2:, rollers are clean."

"Make these 5 pieces fit in that load but dont scan them" "Yes sir, but you close it and latch I gotta go."

Junkyard Willie

Some friendly advice...find a steady (not breakneck) pace and stick with it, regardless of how ridiculous and backed up things get. Once them folks catch wind that you'll kick it up a gear or two once prodded, you'll find yourself loading four trucks (+/- 1200 pieces), mostly commercial routes.
80% of success is comprised of just showing up. Good luck!

Dritalin

Welcome to UPS. I'm a loader too, self employed during the day, do this :censored2: at night. It's a little like prison here. You have to find the biggest, meanest supervisor on your first day and grieve them, make that sup your b!tch.

SanguiniusII

The sooner you figure out that you can block out everything your sup is telling you the better your experience will be otherwise you won't last to the end of your first month. The hard part isn't the labor but dealing with the management constantly being in your ear.

john chesney

After 2 days of in the classroom safety procedures and all of that was done we were assigned where to go. They put me as a loader.

My trainer was very nice and helped me all night, he taught me almost everything I needed to know and my supervisor was cool too.

Getting used to the scanner wasn’t hard as I thought it would be, but you must very careful and read everything that pops up on the scanner.

Me and my trainer had 2 trucks to work on all night. He taught me how to be very efficient, breaking the jams, basically everything you need to know.

The hardest part for me was the box placement, sometimes I found myself second guessing where to put things and slowing me down but they told me not to overthink, and just put them in a spot you feels best and move on. I believe that once I work on that more I will be a very efficient loader.

Yes, to all new people that’s a going to be a loader or just started, it’s a tough job but once you get everything down it becomes easy.
2 weeks from now you’ll be loading 5 trucks and be throwing that :censored2: in anywhere you can and not giving a :censored2: at 10 bucks an hour.

El Correcto

god is dead
After 2 days of in the classroom safety procedures and all of that was done we were assigned where to go. They put me as a loader.

My trainer was very nice and helped me all night, he taught me almost everything I needed to know and my supervisor was cool too.

Getting used to the scanner wasn’t hard as I thought it would be, but you must very careful and read everything that pops up on the scanner.

Me and my trainer had 2 trucks to work on all night. He taught me how to be very efficient, breaking the jams, basically everything you need to know.

The hardest part for me was the box placement, sometimes I found myself second guessing where to put things and slowing me down but they told me not to overthink, and just put them in a spot you feels best and move on. I believe that once I work on that more I will be a very efficient loader.

Yes, to all new people that’s a going to be a loader or just started, it’s a tough job but once you get everything down it becomes easy.
Holy :censored2:, you didn’t post a wall of text. You spaced them out into paragraphs. I like you.

WorkingAsDirected

The next week your supervisor will be like
giphy (3).gif

UPSZax

Thanks for any help you guys gave me and the laughs lol. I’ve worked a couple more days since this post and it’s a hard job but once you get used to it and get a flow going it’s not that bad. I can guarantee that I won’t be quitting unless something really bad forces me too, but if I told you guys I got lost my first 2 days getting to my unit would you believe me

km3

Thanks for any help you guys gave me and the laughs lol. I’ve worked a couple more days since this post and it’s a hard job but once you get used to it and get a flow going it’s not that bad. I can guarantee that I won’t be quitting unless something really bad forces me too, but if I told you guys I got lost my first 2 days getting to my unit would you believe me

Yes. Some of our facilities are huge. I had to ask for directions a few times when I first started. It's not uncommon.

OldNewb

I'm in the same boat. New loader. I just finished my first week. The other new hires are 18-22 yrs old and hyper while I'm 39 and tired. I've worked similar jobs before but that was in my early 20's. We spent the first 3 1/2 nights in class and had 3 different p/t sups drop by the class practically begging us not to quit and trying to convince us how much money is to be made if we just hang in there. They mentioned how quickly we could become sups. Personally, the main thing that I find appealing is getting full benefits after 90 days only working p./t. The last night in class our trainer said he wasn't supposed to show us the obsevations he was putting in our permanent files but "for the first time ever" he'd bend the rules for 3 of us. He wrote about how promising a prospect I am and that I'm "manager material". SURE!! I felt like that was a HUGE load of crap! Maybe I'm being too cynical. Anyone else experience feeling like they're being snowed? I'd be less worried if they didn't seem so desperate. I've spent 1 full shift loading and not sure where this is headed. These forums seem packed with experienced people with a lot of not so good things to say about UPS. Love the honesty!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm in the same boat. New loader. I just finished my first week. The other new hires are 18-22 yrs old and hyper while I'm 39 and tired. I've worked similar jobs before but that was in my early 20's. We spent the first 3 1/2 nights in class and had 3 different p/t sups drop by the class practically begging us not to quit and trying to convince us how much money is to be made if we just hang in there. They mentioned how quickly we could become sups. Personally, the main thing that I find appealing is getting full benefits after 90 days only working p./t. The last night in class our trainer said he wasn't supposed to show us the obsevations he was putting in our permanent files but "for the first time ever" he'd bend the rules for 3 of us. He wrote about how promising a prospect I am and that I'm "manager material". SURE!! I felt like that was a HUGE load of crap! Maybe I'm being too cynical. Anyone else experience feeling like they're being snowed? I'd be less worried if they didn't seem so desperate. I've spent 1 full shift loading and not sure where this is headed. These forums seem packed with experienced people with a lot of not so good things to say about UPS. Love the honesty!
Right, a few snot-nose high school dropout PT sups, ripped up on adderal, are going to help you sort your career out. Good luck.

PS I'm 39, just under 17 years in, and the best move I didn't make was taking a supervisor spot when I was 24. I make $65,000/year 40 hours not driving a truck.

clean hairy

Benfits start after 1 year.
Who came up with 90 days????

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Ever heard of a paragraph

I was no English major but holy smokes