First post-some sage advice on being a ground contractor on craigslist

bbsam

Staff member
Are we to believe you that everything is peaches and cream as you suggest? We hear far more negative than positive when it comes to Ground. In fact the only positive I've heard comes from the shills on BC and MT3.
You are going to have a very hard time producing any statement I have ever made that can even begin to suggest that all is "peaches and cream" at Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
I am, however, surprised you don't see 30 Ground driver on this site bitching and co.plaining about Ground if it really is that terrible to work there. Far more Express people bitching about Ground. Almost like it makes them feel better about themselves.

MAKAVELI

Are we to believe you that everything is peaches and cream as you suggest? We hear far more negative than positive when it comes to Ground. In fact the only positive I've heard comes from the shills on BC and MT3.
You are going to have a very hard time producing any statement I have ever made that can even begin to suggest that all is "peaches and cream" at Ground.
Then you agree that this posting on Craigslist is probably closer to the truth. Just as I thought.

vantexan

I am, however, surprised you don't see 30 Ground driver on this site bitching and co.plaining about Ground if it really is that terrible to work there. Far more Express people bitching about Ground. Almost like it makes them feel better about themselves.

Do Ground drivers read anything not involving comics or the Penthouse forum? Just sayin'...

soc151

Based on 6 years as a ground driver/business contact. Sure, there may be a few good contractors to work out for out there, but most I've encountered are not, even when their intentions are good. According to them, FedEx doesn't pay enough for them to be able to pay a decent wage.

soc151

As someone with 6 yrs in, I'm in the top 10 in seniority in the entire (fairly large) terminal. So yes, turnover his high. For everyone.

Most accidents are by drivers with less than a year of experience. FedEx doesn't pay enough, or the contractors are too greedy to pay enough, to keep good, experienced drivers around. They wonder why there are so many accidents.

HomeDelivery

Actually looks like a pretty accurate job description if you are working for a bad contractor...and there seems to be more bad ones than good ones out there.

i agree... some are bad & some are good

it also varies w/ the service areas as well

i've seen both during my term in green-land. Ground still sucks worse than HD though!

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Far more Express people bitching about Ground. Almost like it makes them feel better about themselves.

No we're just telling it like it is.

Ground drivers as a rule don't have time to bitch on this forum, they're working way too many hours. And for chicken feed too.

Quit confusing the issue now.

Fedexoffice_driver

I'm not express I'm office and that's because ground guys have their Craigslist to vent after all isn't there where they get most of the FXG drivers from.

bbsam

Staff member
No we're just telling it like it is.

Ground drivers as a rule don't have time to bitch on this forum, they're working way too many hours. And for chicken feed too.

Quit confusing the issue now.

where did you find that rule? Pulled out of your ass, no doubt.

soc151

Why are we bickering among us after all aren't we like cousins with the same evil uncle

See, this is what I don't understand either. All of us are being taken advantage of in one way or another by FedEx (yes, even you Ground contractors...).

bbsam said:
then I guess that you can agree that I am one of the good contractors since I have almost no turnover.

Then much respect for you. In my observations, the contractors were pulled from the pool of IC's when we switched to ISP. These hardworking blue-collar types have absolutely no idea how to run a successful business or be an employer. FedEx took advantage of them and their inexperience during the new contract negotiations and severely undercut them, hobbling their ability to provide any type of benefit or finance new vehicles/add routes. The good drivers are overworked and underpaid. The bad drivers are overwhelmed and underpaid. This leads to the endless revolving door of mediocrity that has been installed at most Ground terminals.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why are we bickering among us after all aren't we like cousins with the same evil uncle

I wish we could all unify against Fred. Unfortunately, he has been able to set-up his opcos in a manner that prevents a joint effort, other than to share information and support. Ground drivers are not even employees, nor are contractors/ISPS.