Integrating FedEx Express into Ground

bacha29

Is there any advice as FedEx Express deliverers get integrated into our FedEx Ground network? I can't seem to get accurate volume projections from the terminal?
And chances are you never will, but don't worry. Just make certain that your terminal still has plenty of the materials that have been used in the past to handle volume overflow.....Pallets, tarps and bungy straps. Just pile your boxes outside on pallets, throw a tarp over them and strap it down with a bungy strap. Then when you get a slow day you can uncover those boxes that have been sitting there 2-3 weeks load them up and take them for a ride.

Worked well in the past. No reason to think that it won't serve you well in the days ahead.....And with Fat Freddy and Raj The Jackal determined to bring the days of that very costly contingency contracting to a close, you might need a lot more of those pallets, tarps and bungy straps.

In fact if you're located in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic Region you find the biggest and best inventory of tarps and straps and at the best prices at Ollies Bargain Outlet.

Artee

Is there any advice as FedEx Express deliverers get integrated into our FedEx Ground network? I can't seem to get accurate volume projections from the terminal?
The great thing is no one knows until the merge happens. I am in a lower mid-level market. We have three express stations in about a 20 mile radius. The three combined do an average of 18,000+ stops a day. There are 2 ground hubs in this market. How many drivers in a ground hub? 200? So that would be around an extra 45 stops a day per driver. Many stops with a commit time because ground in this area has already taken a lot of the 2-3 day, express saver stuff and left express with the higher priority deliveries.

Of course I am probably off on the number of ground drivers per terminal and it could be closer to 300 per building, so obviously the stops per driver would go down.

yadig

It seems that the merge has halted for some reason. What’s going on dano? I really thought most stations in Nashville market would’ve closed by now.

It will be fine

It seems that the merge has halted for some reason. What’s going on dano? I really thought most stations in Nashville market would’ve closed by now.
I see this argument a lot on social media. Anyone that thought operational overlap would be done by June 2024 is an idiot. Anyone that thought test markets wouldn’t be used and then evaluated with adjustments made is an idiot. Anyone surprised there weren’t stations merging in December is an idiot.

They still have separate Ground and HD buildings and that overlap has been at least 10 years in the making. FedEx corporate is slow and incompetent, to expect efficiency is foolish.

yadig

I see this argument a lot on social media. Anyone that thought operational overlap would be done by June 2024 is an idiot. Anyone that thought test markets wouldn’t be used and then evaluated with adjustments made is an idiot. Anyone surprised there weren’t stations merging in December is an idiot.

They still have separate Ground and HD buildings and that overlap has been at least 10 years in the making. FedEx corporate is slow and incompetent, to expect efficiency is foolish.
Raj better inform the shareholders!😂

Headshot

We are still not overlapped in our terminal. Ground/HD. We do get the 2 day express stuff though.

zeev

June 2024 merger is suppose to be done,so ready or not Ground is it. Sign they are serious Express RTDs are going to be able to hire on at Freight and take their seniority with them.

Gone fishin

June 2024 merger is suppose to be done,so ready or not Ground is it. Sign they are serious Express RTDs are going to be able to hire on at Freight and take their seniority with them.
That’s about 3 months , better chance of me hitting the lottery 10 times before June

yadig

I doubt that rtd”are going to freight with seniority.

bacha29

The feces will hit the fan if that were to happen. Then again with Freight being nonunion driver seniority it's definition and application is whatever the company says it is so don't expect much in the way of a fair and consistent seniority system. Instead it's likely to be one of the worst "who's your Daddy" and management ball sucking systems ever created.

Artee

I doubt it also, but when Flying Tigers was absorbed into FedEx all those ex-Tiger employees kept their seniority, so its not like it has not happened. Since we are all now "FedEx One", we can just swap work among each other. Freight is already pulling Ground trailers around. The new Tri-color between Express and Freight starts up here pretty soon.

I cannot imagine our 60 RTD's going over to our local Freight. Freight does not even have enough work for their own drivers and even still have drivers out on furlough. Our heavyweight drivers have run into Freight drivers while out making stops. The Freight guys have said they have expanded their building by 15 docks in anticipation for us going over there. Maybe heavyweight goes over there as they are doing the same job as the Freight PUD drivers albeit with just a priority delivery window with freight that gets flown vs trucked. There is no reason to house RT over at Freight unless they are trying to save money by getting rid of our RT building and have the trucking out of one yard.

zeev

AFAIK, benefits are the same. We're all in the same book with different enrollment dates. Freight will probably require some dock work depending on what building you go to. You'd have to resign from Express and apply to freight, but if your last day at Express and first day at freight are within 30 days of each other, your company seniority should follow you. Get with HR on that one.

Artee

AFAIK, benefits are the same. We're all in the same book with different enrollment dates. Freight will probably require some dock work depending on what building you go to. You'd have to resign from Express and apply to freight, but if your last day at Express and first day at freight are within 30 days of each other, your company seniority should follow you. Get with HR on that one.
That is correct. We had two drivers a number of years ago go over to Freight. They made it within the 30 day window and were able to keep their seniority, etc...