First quarter profit down over 17% — Now what?

F

Frankie's Friend

This wont get better with time. Our profit since 2013 I would say was due to the explosion of online sales. Well Amazon is cornering that and ups nationally is loosing that ground. Next quarter will include the massive amount of back pay. That period of 2007-2013 with little hiring will probably come back.
Nah, it's simple dude.
Just need to find more reasons to deny more claims as improperly packed.

rod

Retired 22 years
If UPS is using "winter" as an excuse they need to hire their drivers from up north. Get guys who aren't afraid to drive when there is a quarter inch of snow.

Re-Raise

My package volume continues to go up. Most of the new volume is Amazon. A lot of them are next day air savers for Prime members.

If we aren’t making as much profit, there is ONLY one reason. Our contract price with Amazon for their packages!!!

Cutting costs won’t ever work until we are properly compensated for delivering Amazon packages.

If UPS is using "winter" as an excuse they need to hire their drivers from up north. Get guys who aren't afraid to drive when there is a quarter inch of snow.
Can you send some plows, snow tires, and chains too.

rod

Retired 22 years
Can you send some plows, snow tires, and chains too.
Apparently you think Mn. roads are plowed the second it starts to snow--wrong. The last set of chains in a package car I saw was in about 1985. Around here they use RE-capped tires with a semi aggressive thread. I'm sure UPS gets them for a little of nothing because they only last about one winter if you are lucky. They do work good when new though for the first couple of months anyway..

F

Frankie's Friend

My package volume continues to go up. Most of the new volume is Amazon. A lot of them are next day air savers for Prime members.

If we aren’t making as much profit, there is ONLY one reason. Our contract price with Amazon for their packages!!!

Cutting costs won’t ever work until we are properly compensated for delivering Amazon packages.
I'm sure the new oversize and overweight charges are going to bail this out at $600+ per pkg.

Think that we're making new friends every day?

F

Frankie's Friend

Hey, hey, don't be so full of yourself. I'm pretty sure we can directly correlate the beginning of UPS's downslide with the day that UpstateNYUPSer retired.
20180407_163005.jpg

Yeah, his image lives on.

Superteeth2478

But in all seriousness, even taking "weather" into account, were UPS's 1st quarter numbers BAD? I'm not really sure what all these numbers mean...

Bob11B

Well I followed Orion 100% today, figured I’d finally really give it an attempt. 8 miles more than when I run it my way, less stops per hour....that’ll save them money. Also, that’s after dispatch “adjusted and fixed” Orion.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
But in all seriousness, even taking "weather" into account, were UPS's 1st quarter numbers BAD? I'm not really sure what all these numbers mean...

It means to me, one that has to work hard to help achieve that $billion net EVERY quarter, that these day traders and other :censored2: h...es on wall street need to pick up a shovel, grab a set of keys, or otherwise get off their entitled backsides and try some real work.

It took nearly 100 years for this company to achieve the $billion net quarters that are now the "expectation". Now as we plow through year 112 of daily hard work, for the most of us, wall street is going to apply the pressure to force our company to make decisions that are severely short sided and perhaps disastrous in the long term?

rod

Retired 22 years
Go back to a driver sort or at least pay the pre-loaders what they are worth and let the center managers make decisions again.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Go back to a driver sort or at least pay the pre-loaders what they are worth and let the center managers make decisions again.

We are still netting over a $billion a quarter. I would say that we are committed.