First warning for misloads, Warning letter. On topic

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
It's a warning letter. I just sit in the office with a big smile on my face and don't say a word. Then leave. I also make sure to have my girlfriend not sign for the letter when the little mail man brings it to my house

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Grieve it. Its the first step of progressive discipline towards termination. You said yourself they don't even have proof you loaded it.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
grieve it, lately at place we have been getting air coming down with higher hin numbers, meaning the numbers tell us to load them in the middle of the truck. If your just looking at hins you wont catch it. Are you sure their missloads and not found in loads. Either way file a grievance make them prove it

Rack em

Made the Podium
Right I talked to my center manager afterwards and she told me it went straight to a letter just because of the fact that itwas an air package. She said not to worry about it and just make sure to read the labels and circle my numbers.
I would protest the warning letter since it is against the contract. No where in the contract does it state that progressive discipline can be ignored because it was a nda package(s). Tell your center manager you will take the verbal warning and from now on do your best to not have anymore misloads. If you do get a warning letter, get your steward who already didn't do their job, and file a grievance .

rod

Retired 22 years
Someday you will look back on this incident and laugh and remember the old days when you actually gave a :censored2:. Don't worry Grasshopper---UPS sucks the give a :censored2: out of everyone eventually.

trickpony1

Tell your center manager that you can't be responsible for what goes on your truck(s) after you leave unless, of course, they want to provide an armed guard to watch your truck(s) to assure no one walks by and flings a pkg in your truck.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Was told by coworkers that I'm supposed to have a verbal warning with my steward present before they can issue a warning letter.

Your co-workers are incorrect.

but shouldn't I have gotten some type of verbal warning before I get a letter?

They can, but do not have to.

Is there any course of action I can take?

Grieve it. It sounds like they lack proof that you are the one that misloaded it.

Right I talked to my center manager afterwards and she told me it went straight to a letter just because of the fact that itwas an air package.

If it wasn't an air, she may have let you off with just a verbal.

She said not to worry about it

She is wrong. She does not want you to grieve it because she lacks proof. A warning letter is the first step in progressive discipline, up to, and including discharge.

I would protest the warning letter since it is against the contract.

Really? Against what Article and Section number?

No where in the contract does it state that progressive discipline can be ignored because it was a nda package(s).

You are correct. But nowhere in the contract does it state that she has to issue a verbal first. She could have, but felt the issue deserved more than a verbal.

Tell your center manager you will take the verbal warning

Right.....

If you do get a warning letter, get your steward who already didn't do their job

His Steward did his job because he knows the contract, which, obviously, you do not.

Read up so you know what you are talking about.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Your co-workers are incorrect.

They can, but do not have to.

Grieve it. It sounds like they lack proof that you are the one that misloaded it.

If it wasn't an air, she may have let you off with just a verbal.

She is wrong. She does not want you to grieve it because she lacks proof. A warning letter is the first step in progressive discipline, up to, and including discharge.

Really? Against what Article and Section number?

You are correct. But nowhere in the contract does it state that she has to issue a verbal first. She could have, but felt the issue deserved more than a verbal.

Right.....

His Steward did his job because he knows the contract, which, obviously, you do not.

Read up so you know what you are talking about.
He is receiving a warning letter before receiving a verbal warning....How is that not grievable? Don't quote me on this but the proper disciplinary procedure is 1. Verbal warning 2. Warning letter 3. One day suspension 4. Three day suspension 5. Termination (even though I have never heard of a preloader terminated for misloads)

If the center manager would have handed him a one day suspension because the misloads were nda, would that not be grievable?

Poop Head

Judge me.
I saw a misload in one of my cars the other day buried behind something heavy and I hesitated for a second and said "meh let it ride".

Clocked out.

Sometimes I feel air is easier to misload because idiot sups crank the belt up thinking you'll get done faster but you just end up with a pile of crap all over and by the end focus begins to fade.
image.jpg

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
He is receiving a warning letter before receiving a verbal warning....How is that not grievable?

A warning letter is grievable, but you cannot grieve a written warning letter based on not receiving a verbal first. No contractual violation.

UPS does not have to issue a verbal before issuing a written. They can, and often do for minor infractions, but they do not have to. They can go right to a written.

Don't quote me on this but the proper disciplinary procedure is 1. Verbal warning 2. Warning letter 3. One day suspension 4. Three day suspension 5. Termination

Incorrect.

1. Warning letter
2. Suspension
3. Discharge.

Now, some of these steps can be repeated, ie, a longer suspension agreed to instead of a discharge, or a suspension reduced to a warning letter, or a discharged reduced to a suspension.

But, contractually, progressive discipline is as I have listed.

If the center manager would have handed him a one day suspension because the misloads were nda, would that not be grievable?

Yes, because she cannot issue a suspension without first issuing a written warning, except in cases of cardinal sins.

Here are the major supplements:

Atlantic Area Supplement

ARTICLE 50 - DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSION

The Employer shall not discharge nor suspend any employee without
just cause but in respect to discharge or suspension shall give at
least one warning notice of a complaint against such employee to
the employee, in writing, and a copy of the same to the Union,

Central Pennsylvania Supplement

ARTICLE 52 - DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSION

just cause, but in respect to discharge or suspension shall give
at least one (1) warning notice of a complaint against such employee
to the employee, in writing, and a copy of the same to the Union

Central Region Supplement

ARTICLE 17-DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSIONS

just cause. No employee shall be suspended or discharged without
first being given (1) warning letter of a complaint and also be given a
local level hearing except for the following offenses

New England Supplement

ARTICLE 59 - DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSION

The Employer shall not discharge or suspend any employee without
just cause but, in respect to discharge or suspension, shall give at
least one warning notice of the complaint against such employee to
the employee personally, or in writing, and a copy of the same to the
Union

Southern Region Supplement

ARTICLE 52 – DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSION

(A) The Employer shall not discharge nor suspend any employee
without just cause, but in respect to discharge or suspension shall
give at least one (1) warning notice of a complaint against such
employee to the employee, in writing, and a copy of the same to the
Local Union

Upstate/West New York Rider

ARTICLE 58 - DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSION

A. The Employer shall not discharge nor suspend any employee
give at least one (1) warning notice of the complaint against such
employee, in writing, and a copy of the same to the Union and job
steward affected

Upstate/West New York Supplement

ARTICLE 58 - DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSION

A. The Employer shall not discharge nor suspend any employee
give at least one (1) warning notice of the complaint against such
employee, in writing, and a copy of the same to the Union and job
steward affected

Western Pennsylvania Supplement

ARTICLE 52 - DISCHARGE OR SUSPENSION

just cause, but in respect to discharge shall give at least one (1)
warning notice of a complaint against such employee to the
employee personally, in writing, and a copy of the same to the union
and job steward affected

Western Region Supplement

SECTION 2 - HANDLING OF DISCHARGES AND SUSPENSIONS

Any case pertaining to a discharge or suspension shall be handled
as follows:

No employee(s) shall suffer suspension or discharge without the
employee(s) having been given a written warning notice wherein
the facts forming the grounds for such warning notice are clearly set
forth.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So you don't think a driver would know what air he is supposed to have, and would load a misloaded air in his own package car? How long did you drive for before going into management
He was talking about drivers loading a PC for a route they have not run before.
Hell, a counter clerk could load their own car.

Try loading 3 or 4 cars for routes you have never run before.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
So you don't think a driver would know what air he is supposed to have, and would load a misloaded air in his own package car? How long did you drive for before going into management
are you trying to say it doesn't happen? lmao that's pretty good

how long did you work preload before putting on browns?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

He only drives during peak days ... and the last choice.
He's like a midget being picked on a pickup basketball game ... waiting till nobody else is left.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Never worked a day of preload, that is the only job I haven't done from an hourly standpoint. Not because it was too difficult, just had no desire to wake up that early. That's why I don't give advise about preload subjects on here, and I never bad mouthed my preloader when I was a driver. Unlike you my ego isn't so overinflated to think I know how things work on something I have no experience with. I am sure you feel every job but the mighty I.E is expendable

pkgdriver

He was talking about drivers loading a PC for a route they have not run before.
Hell, a counter clerk could load their own car.

Try loading 3 or 4 cars for routes you have never run before.

No sweat with the PAS system... Have started/been called in early to load quite a bit as of late.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Never worked a day of preload, that is the only job I haven't done from an hourly standpoint. Not because it was too difficult, just had no desire to wake up that early. That's why I don't give advise about preload subjects on here, and I never bad mouthed my preloader when I was a driver. Unlike you my ego isn't so overinflated to think I know how things work on something I have no experience with. I am sure you feel every job but the mighty I.E is expendable

that's a lot of words for "i'm wrong"