Flow Count~..!?

mr_bennet

I've only been working at UPS for 9 days now, but it seems like they could make things easier on the workers but they choose not to so they can save more money. Every trailer could have 2 people working it. That way you don't run one person into the ground.

I agree with the poster above about the slow steady pace also. They told me my goal was to work up to 200 packages and hour. If thats the case send me 50 packages every 15 minutes. Don't send me like 150 in the first 2 hours and then drop like 300 in the next 2.

drewed

Shankman
I've only been working at UPS for 9 days now, but it seems like they could make things easier on the workers but they choose not to so they can save more money. Every trailer could have 2 people working it. That way you don't run one person into the ground.

I agree with the poster above about the slow steady pace also. They told me my goal was to work up to 200 packages and hour. If thats the case send me 50 packages every 15 minutes. Don't send me like 150 in the first 2 hours and then drop like 300 in the next 2.

yea ideally it would be that way, but some places build trailers in waves of volume so trailer A will be busy for those first 2 hours and it would be slow for trailer B then it would be flipped the next two hours, its like that system wide

tieguy

Banned
I believe the flow count when I unload means how fast or how many boxes I unload per minute. At my hub, sometimes the SUPS will monitor unloaders with a stop watch and count your progress. Is this a legitimate thing that is supposed to be done by management? I recall when I was trained they said I had to unload like something like 1200-1600 boxes an hour? I thought the contract says a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay and that SUPS are meant to supervise the worker not the workers working performance. Can management do anything to a worker they feel is working to slow? I bet they feel every union worker is working to slow. Am I being a worried narcissist about this subject because when they do this counting and timing thing it really annoys me and my ego.

Its real easy. Just come in tommorrow and tell the sup that you have decided you have been working too hard. Tell him you're not doing it anymore. Tell him you read that fair days work for fair days pay thing and your interpretation is that it means you can sit on your rear in the cafeteria for 15 mins of every hour. Tell him you will also be turning your extendo off anytime you start feeling a sweat break out. Good luck

tieguy

Banned
Nor does it mean going as fast as you possibly can for 4 hours. The human body was not designed to work at maximum capacity all the time.

Go to a health spa and watch people push theirselves to their maximum abilities. Watch those same people work at ups and you would hear them crying how the boss is working them to hard.:happy-very:

PAUPSER

The best advice I can give is just work to the best of your ability and be safe! UPS uses illogical number under unrealistic conditions, because yea you might get 1500pph unloading smalls, but it’s a little hard to get that same number out of a different trailer say a flatbed or a split level that has a lot of packages weighting in excess of 70pds or more. Lastly from my years of personal experience when I was unloading is just set a safe speed and stay with that speed everyday and never work faster then the day before! This may sound sad and it is but its true! Nothing is ever good enough or fast enough for UPS. If you work fast one day, they expect you go to even faster the next and so forth! And the only thing you get rewarded with is a bad back and more work!

LKLND3380

I believe the flow count when I unload means how fast or how many boxes I unload per minute. At my hub, sometimes the SUPS will monitor unloaders with a stop watch and count your progress. Is this a legitimate thing that is supposed to be done by management? I recall when I was trained they said I had to unload like something like 1200-1600 boxes an hour? I thought the contract says a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay and that SUPS are meant to supervise the worker not the workers working performance. Can management do anything to a worker they feel is working to slow? I bet they feel every union worker is working to slow. Am I being a worried narcissist about this subject because when they do this counting and timing thing it really annoys me and my ego.

USE PROPER METHODS... Load stands, labels up, etc...

dillweed

Annoyance often brings on an adrenaline rush, we work faster. They write down our numbers then come back on a day when we're calm and ask us why we've slowed down. More annoyance, more adrenaline. Overcome, be strong and be safe.

Go to a health spa and watch people push theirselves to their maximum abilities. Watch those same people work at ups and you would hear them crying how the boss is working them to hard.:happy-very:
One more BS post and that will be three in a row, I know you can do it. Tie, you've lost grip with reality, go out and unload trailers for a day or two and have someone on your backside the whole shift. Then come back an report how much you love the renewed experience.

tieguy

Banned
One more BS post and that will be three in a row, I know you can do it. Tie, you've lost grip with reality, go out and unload trailers for a day or two and have someone on your backside the whole shift. Then come back an report how much you love the renewed experience.

I'm sorry your the sorry type of individual that has people riding your sorry tail all day. I have done just about every job in the small package industry and done them all well enough where I never needed anyone riding my tail. Most upsers are just like me. Instead of me doing a crappy job so I can experience the boss riding my behind perhaps you should try earning your keep and see what its like to earn respect.:happy-very:

I'm sorry your the sorry type of individual that has people riding your sorry tail all day. I have done just about every job in the small package industry and done them all well enough where I never needed anyone riding my tail. Most upsers are just like me. Instead of me doing a crappy job so I can experience the boss riding my behind perhaps you should try earning your keep and see what its like to earn respect.:happy-very:
And you didn't disappoint. WTG Tie.

I never said I had anyone on MY tail, now did I? You assUme I was talking about myself when I was talking about things I have observed happening to many people. Don't worry Tie I have earned all the respect my body can handle.
I did not say you should unload trailers and do a crappy job, nope never said that. I just said you should unload trailers for a couple of days with someone on your backside. Now, I understand that you are insinuating that the only time a sup would be on someone's backside is if they are doing a crappy job. But you know as well as everyone on this forum that just is not reality.(well, maybe YOU don't) When a worker is giving you a hard days work with no injuries and no setting in the break room (other than set break time), many times there is a sup behind them cracking a whip wanting more and more. THAT is what I meant, yet you are too combative to accept it.
OH wait. It just occurred to me, YOU are the sup with the whip. And YOU call ME sorry.....what a sidesplitter.
3 in a row, wanna go for four?

tieguy

Banned
And you didn't disappoint. WTG Tie.

I never said I had anyone on MY tail, now did I? You assUme I was talking about myself when I was talking about things I have observed happening to many people.?

If not then there really was no reason for you to jump in with that unprovoked attack was there? For some reason you think you have some god given right to jump in with that attack and then complain when I easily turn the table on you and embarass you.

I've been on this site a long time. Let me give you a little advice. Its obvious you don't like me. Thats your right to dislike me. Don't let that dislike provoke you into making comments like you did above. Turning that blatant unprovoked attack into a thrashing of you was too easy. If you're going to try to snipe me then you have to suppress your dislike and think a little more before you jump.

Last edited:
If not then there really was no reason for you to jump in with that unprovoked attack was there? For some reason you think you have some god given right to jump in with that attack and then complain when I easily turn the table on you and embarass you.

Oh Tie,Tie,Tie. I didn't attack you, I responded to a post YOU made directly to me, when I was not even typing about anything you had posted. That was the unprovoked attack. Embarrass me? I don't think so, you'd have to post something remotely true to do that and we still haven't seen it.

I've been on this site a long time. Let me give you a little advice. Its obvious you don't like me. Thats your right to dislike me. Don't let that dislike provoke you into making comments like you did above. Turning that blatant unprovoked attack into a thrashing of you was too easy. If you're going to try to snipe me then you have to suppress your dislike and think a little more before you jump.

Well, old timer sometimes free advice is worth just what you pay for it. Who says I don't like you? In fact there are times I take the same stance on a subject as you. Now it is true that most of the time I think you are full of fecal matter, but sometimes we all are. Oh yeah and are you the one that keeps saying we are entitled to our opinions?

tieguy

Banned

here was your unprovoked attack tnk that you now try to deny. There was no post from me directed to you prior to this. I'm not sure why you are trying to pretend it did not happen?

here was your unprovoked attack tnk that you now try to deny. There was no post from me directed to you prior to this. I'm not sure why you are trying to pretend it did not happen?

The one you quoted as my "unprovoked attack was posted at, 2:46pm on 08/29/08.....

Did ya forget about this one?

08-27-2008 03:52 PM tieguy Re: Flow Count~..!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trplnkl
Nor does it mean going as fast as you possibly can for 4 hours. The human body was not designed to work at maximum capacity all the time.

There was clearly a post directed to me by YOU two days prior to me posting a word to you. So tell me again, who is in denial? Sure aint me Pard.

Geeez I just keep thinking of things to type. I didn't deny attacking you, I denied it being unprovoked.

Well, geez again. OK, I did deny it was an attack (I'm sorry I misspoke that), but I do feel it was well deserved. Of course I'm sure your opinion will differ than mine.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
The one you quoted as my "unprovoked attack was posted at, 2:46pm on 08/29/08.....

Quote:

There was clearly a post directed to me by YsqOU two days prior to me posting a word to you. So tell me again, who is in denial? Sure aint me Pard.

Geeez I just keep thinking of things to type. I didn't deny attacking you, I denied it being unprovoked.

Well, geez again. OK, I did deny it was an attack (I'm sorry I misspoke that), but I do feel it was well deserved. Of course I'm sure your opinion will differ than mine.

you're still trying to alibi your unprovoded attack where I turned the tables on you and easily squashed you. You can't rewrite history. Its clear you made an attack that was unprovoked. You then try to justify it which is basically making excuses. I really do not need to hear your whining or excuses. Its clearly evident you tried to jump in unprovoked and got your but kicked. stupid you.

you're still trying to alibi your unprovoded attack where I turned the tables on you and easily squashed you. You can't rewrite history. Its clear you made an attack that was unprovoked. You then try to justify it which is basically making excuses. I really do not need to hear your whining or excuses. Its clearly evident you tried to jump in unprovoked and got your but kicked. stupid you.
Ahhhh hahaha.... Tie if you had learned as much about message boards as you would like everyone to think, you would know that when you turn to name calling you have lost the battle and have nothing of substance to fight with. The proof is in the posts of this thread. I know your pride won't let you concede defeat, that's OK. I've seen your kind many times over. It is true that history can't be rewritten, but you can't make it up out of thin air either. I won't bore you with the facts, they are here for all to see and everyone can read for themselves. The only place you have squashed me or kicked my butt is in your mind.
You start out a debate really well, but when it doesn't go the way you want, you try to turn it into an attack on you (poor poor Tieguy). Then when that doesn't work you start trying to degrade the others character, then finally returning to name calling and false claims of victory.

tieguy

Banned

Quote:

There was clearly a post directed to me by YOU two days prior to me posting a word to you. So tell me again, who is in denial? Sure aint me Pard.

My god you are desperate to try to defend your unprovoked attack. Not to mention all the crying and whining as I easily turned your unprovoked attack back into your personal whipping.
there was no personal attack on anyone on the line you quoted when you blatantly attacked me. Try to stay truthful if at all possible for you.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Man oh man are these guys duking it out. I am absolutely rivetted. What will they say next and who's gonna be blamed for starting it?