Fly Fishing Newbie

walk it off

Any hints on a little info on fly vs spin cast? Been doing the latter for 50+ years. Don't want to get ripped off but don't want to go cheap quality. Question is, will $500 get me going with rod, reel, and flies? Have the waders, net, etc. so it's just tackle I'm buying.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Any hints on a little info on fly vs spin cast? Been doing the latter for 50+ years. Don't want to get ripped off but don't want to go cheap quality. Question is, will $500 get me going with rod, reel, and flies? Have the waders, net, etc. so it's just tackle I'm buying.

$500 should be more than enough to get you started. Find someone you know who already fly fishes. Learning the different flies and when they hatch can be overwhelming at first.

And be warned, those pea-brained fish are actually smarter than most people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And be warned, those pea-brained fish are actually smarter than most people.

It's funny you mention that as I used to deliver to several public and private fish hatcheries on my "rural" route. I mentioned to the owner at one of the private fish hatcheries, which offered fishing (for a fee), that it must be literally like catching fish in a barrel and he told me that it is actually much tougher to fish there because the fish are fed on a daily basis.

walk it off

Wikipedia = You Tube. Unbelievable!!! Huge catfish caught by small person. BY HAND!!!!
Never seen it in California Delta or where there's a lot of catfish.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Have Fenwicks for spin cast. Okay for fly or something else you use better?

Fenwicks good

I have a couple St. Croix one of the reason I bought that brand is at the time they came with a lifetime warranty included even if you break it in half

I thought sure. One of my buddies snapped the tip off his sent it back and they sent him a new one

walk it off

Fenwicks good

I have a couple St. Croix one of the reason I bought that brand is at the time they came with a lifetime warranty included even if you break it in half

I thought sure. One of my buddies snapped the tip off his sent it back and they sent him a new one
Starting from scratch. St Croix make a reel as well and do you use it or prefer something else. Also, what do use for line? brand and test? I'm fishing freshwater lakes and streams in Sierras. Cold water and running fast right now. Lakes are deep and cold. You use different line for the two or different flies? Took a free clinic at Bass Pro Shops and getting a answer on that depends on how many people you ask. I fish 1-2 times a week. Spin cast was easier with lure and spot making the best fishing. Plus I think I may be losing some flies at first. Over casting and hitting the pool side, etc. Lots of bushes and growth along the streams where I plan to go. Don't have the accuracy that the pro had at the clinic.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Starting from scratch. St Croix make a reel as well and do you use it or prefer something else. Also, what do use for line? brand and test? I'm fishing freshwater lakes and streams in Sierras. Cold water and running fast right now. Lakes are deep and cold. You use different line for the two or different flies? Took a free clinic at Bass Pro Shops and getting a answer on that depends on how many people you ask. I fish 1-2 times a week. Spin cast was easier with lure and spot making the best fishing. Plus I think I may be losing some flies at first. Over casting and hitting the pool side, etc. Lots of bushes and growth along the streams where I plan to go. Don't have the accuracy that the pro had at the clinic.

As far as reels go for mountain trout about anything will work

If you get into bigger fish you'll want a bigger reel that will hold heavier line

Line there are many different kinds depending on what kind of fishing you are doing sinking, floating , shooting , bass and many more

Same with rods if your fishing streams go with a smaller weight rod bigger water and bigger fish means heavier equipment