Follow ORION 85% or....

Grey

Not sure because when I'm blind they tell me to turn it off after I download EDD. So when you're unfamiliar with the area or driving during peak (the two instances where things need to work best) they don't want us to use it. What kind of message does that send?

FilingBluesFL

Another 100% day.

Best part was, they added a whole 30+ stops of a completely different area to this route today at the very beginning.

They couldn't understand why around 1:30ish businesses from the route that are normally done in the morning were calling and wondering where their stuff was and why it wasn't there yet.......

Love this place

9.5er

For my fellow cover drivers, does anyone think it's now easier to learn a route in the blind with Orion?

I have learned a couple new routes since we got orion. It is much harder to learn because you never run the route the same way.
The route I'm on this week is one of the new routes I learned. It should be a decent route but I just can't figure out the best way to get it done. I looked through my stops this morning and it had my head spinning with all the jumping around.

UPSGUY72

Orion only works if the EDD for the route is just about perfect before. That being said they wasted all this money on ORION when they just needed to fix the EDD on the routes. There is 1 route in my center that I know of that the EDD and the ORION solution are almost the same. That is because the driver took to the time to have the dispatch manager set up the route.

I go one way and don't go back to an area again unless I have a pickup there later no matter what ORION tells me.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have learned a couple new routes since we got orion. It is much harder to learn because you never run the route the same way.
The route I'm on this week is one of the new routes I learned. It should be a decent route but I just can't figure out the best way to get it done. I looked through my stops this morning and it had my head spinning with all the jumping around.
If me figuring out exactly how to run a route the ORION way requires that I have to vigorously study a map on their ORION computer then I just don't figure it out. And I wait until I'm on the clock to look at the computer.

FilingBluesFL

If me figuring out exactly how to run a route the ORION way requires that I have to vigorously study a map on their ORION computer then I just don't figure it out. And I wait until I'm on the clock to look at the computer.

When they've harassed me about being over on miles while being 100% on Orion, I've demanded they "provide me with the tools to perform the job" by printing out a map of how Orion wants me to go stop for stop and what streets and turns it wants me to make.

They refuse to each and every time. So tough cookies.

By The Book

When they've harassed me about being over on miles while being 100% on Orion, I've demanded they "provide me with the tools to perform the job" by printing out a map of how Orion wants me to go stop for stop and what streets and turns it wants me to make.

You will always be over on miles if you've followed Orion 100%.

Overpaid Union Thug

I haven't been harassed yet. I think its because they know they'll regret it if they do. And the beauty of it is that I won't have to do anything wrong. LOL!

FilingBluesFL

You will always be over on miles if you've followed Orion 100%.

Oh, you're so silly!

Orion was implemented to reduce miles! It's absolutely CRAZY to think that following it 100% would ADD miles!

That's what I tell them, at least lol

"It's impossible that I went over on miles. I followed ORION 100%, and wasn't it implemented to reduce miles? So that's just absolutely absurd that I went over on miles."

JL 0513

For my fellow cover drivers, does anyone think it's now easier to learn a route in the blind with Orion?

It depends. Depends how well you understand the underlying fundamentals of Orion. Depends on the route. Depends on your flexibility (on taking breaks, etc).

It's up to the driver to make Orion work. Unusual delays could put it out of your hands though.

I know many don't want to admit it, but Orion generally works when ran exactly as planned with the exception of sometimes placing businesses too late. Yes there are other errors as well but a willing driver can make smart adjustments without screwing up the plan.

Most of Orion's plan will make sense only if you make every p/u break from the exact stop that the solution determined. This requires that you are right on schedule (+/- 15 minutes or so) in order to make pick ups on time. This can only be known if you have an image of the solution to refer to during the day (pics of Orion screen on phone) which 97% of drivers don't have so are blind which makes Orion appear stupid to you.

Also, if you don't pull all the intended 180's that Orion planned, it will again look ridiculous to you.

Not trying to sound like an Orion advacate but the algorithm itself does actually work, not flawlessly, but if the driver works with it and makes human needed adjustments, it can work well.

asphaltcowboy

Total stops-(Total stops x percentage)= allowed trace breaks

150-(150x0.95)=7.5.
Not too sure if that's how to write the equation I just drive a truck and carry boxes.

Yes that is what they require at my building now.

wayfair

swollen member
It depends. Depends how well you understand the underlying fundamentals of Orion. Depends on the route. Depends on your flexibility (on taking breaks, etc).

It's up to the driver to make Orion work. Unusual delays could put it out of your hands though.

I know many don't want to admit it, but Orion generally works when ran exactly as planned with the exception of sometimes placing businesses too late. Yes there are other errors as well but a willing driver can make smart adjustments without screwing up the plan.

Most of Orion's plan will make sense only if you make every p/u break from the exact stop that the solution determined. This requires that you are right on schedule (+/- 15 minutes or so) in order to make pick ups on time. This can only be known if you have an image of the solution to refer to during the day (pics of Orion screen on phone) which 97% of drivers don't have so are blind which makes Orion appear stupid to you.

Also, if you don't pull all the intended 180's that Orion planned, it will again look ridiculous to you.

Not trying to sound like an Orion advacate but the algorithm itself does actually work, not flawlessly, but if the driver works with it and makes human needed adjustments, it can work well.

they put a printer in our DIAD room for drivers to print their ORION map solution. I need to invest in paper!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am not a cover driver, but lately feel like one. Yes its daylight, if I follow Orion exactly things fall in pretty good. BUT I never learn the number breaks, the order of the streets, etc. When its dark I will not know wth I am.