Footware

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
30andout,

This is a good question, I am looking for a new pair of work shoes myself. I used to wear Sears Diehards, but they got where they were Die-easys. Most shoes these days have a rubber sole and the heels go out on me after about four or five months. No way would I wear tennis shoes, they don't offer the ankle support that we need for the type of work we do. I've seen too many feet injuries with these over the years, including mine. I have a pair of Timberland Hiking boots that worked well, when I replaced them after a year with the same model, the soles wore out with them after a few months. Last year my feet started hurting me a lot, I think my arches were starting to fall. I went to a specialty store where they did a pressure test on my feet, (measure your feet when you are stand up, instead of sitting down, you could be a half-size off!) 90% of people wear bad-fitted shoes. I bought a pair of expensive Cambrian shoes that fit great, but at $130.00 a pair these wore out after three months. The great thing is I got a pair of Lynco brand inserts that were designed for high-impact sports. They have extra padding for the ball of your feet, offering better support. My pain went away after a few weeks, best $60.00 I've spent in a long time. I'm still looking for some shoes though.....

laborer

I've had a pair of ECCO boots for the past 2 years and just bought another pair off the site on upser.com which gives a 15% discount. They are light weight and I no longer have pain in my heels like I use to have.

30andout

laborer said:
I've had a pair of ECCO boots for the past 2 years and just bought another pair off the site on upser.com which gives a 15% discount. They are light weight and I no longer have pain in my heels like I use to have.
Thanks I'm looking at shoebuy.com off the UPS site and I don't see these listed. I have been wearing hiking type boots as opposed to work boots because I think they are a little lighter wt. and that helps on long days.

laborer

You can find ECCO on shoebuy.com if you look through all the brands but I think they only offer a 10% discount, there is a seperate website for eccousa.com that has the 15% off. In order to get your 15 percent discount, you must enter promo code “UPS05” at the checkout page.

laborer

Yep, they are pricey(178.00 with shipping) but I won't buy anything else from now on. Light weight and my feet stay dry and don't hurt.

Last edited:

Ms Spoken

Scratch,

Why dont you wear a boot that can be resoled like Red Wings? I'm sure you have already thought of that. I know they are heavy but, if your wearing out your boots that fast it will pay off in the long run.

wornoutupser

I buy Rocky swat team boots. They are pricey but the keep my feet dry here in the Florida monsoons and hurricanes.They also provide excellent support and resisance to being puctured by nails and whatever is sticking up out of the ground. ( Remember, 4 out of 5 houses in my area got new roofs since the three hurricanes pounded us and nails are everywhere!)
They can also be resoled- I get about 2 years out of them before having to buiy a new pair.

Fredly000

Just Another in Brown
Its a Timberland Sunapee, or something like that, a really comfortable shoe
supportive, "polishable toe" Breathes nice, waterproof not as important to me. I have two pair I wear in rotation, I will never justify spending 200 on a pair of ECCOs or Redwings, I have tried them on, they just don't fit me right.
Maybe one day they will.
ff_is21736.jpg

On a side note, I put my basketball sneakers on the other day.. NOW I
need a pair of boots that feel that good to wear, and are that supportive.
My boss might frown on a bright white pair of hightops... LOL

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
Dunham has a nice boot called the 'waffle stomper'. It has great traction in snow, they are warm and they keep your feet dry. That's what I wear. Extremely light compared to my chipewa steel toe.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
RedWings

"Take care of your feet and they will take care of you."

When your feet hurts everything hurts. This is from my own personal experience!:thumbup1:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Cant beat Rockys, but I have a pair of doc martens that I will cry when they are gone. Steel toe too but not that heavy. Pricey if you buy them retail about 135.00, but I got mine new in a box at a garage sale for 3 bucks.

jules23

Logic? Who needs logic?
laborer said:

Wow, Ecco has every kind of shoe...nice stuff. I might have to try them out.

This may sound like a strange question, but do the shoes tend to run big or small compared to other manufacturers? For example, Nike, Reebok, Timberland, etc. I can wear a size smaller than normal in Doc Marten's. Just curious.

true_1_ace

I wear DrShouls running shoes ,and at $32.00 a pair from Walmart I really dont care if they wear in 1 or 2 yrs ,there comfortable:thumbup1:

laborer

jules23 said:
Wow, Ecco has every kind of shoe...nice stuff. I might have to try them out.

This may sound like a strange question, but do the shoes tend to run big or small compared to other manufacturers? For example, Nike, Reebok, Timberland, etc. I can wear a size smaller than normal in Doc Marten's. Just curious.

I've got the Track IV High boots and I can wear my normal size but they use a European size chart that includes the full and 1/2 sizes(ex:43=size 9/9.5 in mens).

jules23

Logic? Who needs logic?
laborer said:
I've got the Track IV High boots and I can wear my normal size but they use a European size chart that includes the full and 1/2 sizes(ex:43=size 9/9.5 in mens).

Thank you! Since it's online want to make sure - every shoe fits differently.

:)

Hangingon

Brown or black, polishable. When I started they said steel-toed, but I haven't heard that in over a decade. When the shorts came out they originally said no boots or high tops could be worn with them, but like many things lately they tend to turn a blind eye to it now except when one of the managers gets a wild hair. I'm not sure how boots would look with the shorts but most of us wear high tops at least and the new guys just wear flat out running shoes.